Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cyrus Christie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 52>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 3:52pm
He's probably a better defender, but given that Fulham play with attacking full-backs, I'd say that gives Christie the edge.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Fosu-Mensah is his only competition and is no great shakes; Christie should certainly have the edge on him in terms of attacking threat.

I'd have thought Fosu Mensah was a better player than Christie

Fosu-Mensah is miles better than Chrisite, once he settles in he will be first choice without a doubt.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 8:07pm
Firstly Fosu-Mensah is primarily a defensive midfielder/centre-half, not a fullback, though he can play there. He certainly isn't an attacking fullback in the manner of Christie, who better suits the system Fulham use. And he was f**king awful last season for Crystal Palace, to which any Palace fan will attest. He's made 3 league starts for United over the past 3 seasons. I can give you a list as long as one of Martin Keown's arms of young players who've played a few first-team games at Manchester United and amounted to very little, ending up drifting around the lower leagues. Being on United's books doesn't automatically make a player absolutely exceptional.

In Christie we have player who's paid his dues playing non-league at Hinckley and Nuneaton, worked his way up the leagues and progressed to the point where he's started his first Premier League game at the weekend, and yet it seems some people can't wait to do the guy down. You can't help but feel that motivations other than football logic are at work sometimes.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 13 Aug 2018 at 8:09pm
musicinmouth View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 8:47pm
He could be a good option for us as a right-mid. He can be a real attacking threat, as evident in the game on Saturday.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 10:40pm
Leroy Sane named Fosu Mensah as his toughest opponent last season 
I don’t think he’d say the same about Cyrus 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:02pm
He must have improved massively over the past few months.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:35pm
Bar a few appearances for United when Van Gaal was having a silly season for young players, he's utterly failed to kick on there. He was fairly unimpressive in a useless Palace side last year too. If Jokanovic decides to go a more defensive route, then he might be a better call than Christie; but if he continues with an attacking style, Christie is the blatently better option.
We're decent enough..
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 8:21am

Fosu-Mensah is his only competition and is no great shakes; Christie should certainly have the edge on him in terms of attacking threat.

TFM is about 3 times the player Christie is and I like Christie. Sometimes we like to big up our own when in reality our players are limited technically and other lads are far superior. Like he is only playing as Fredericks left for the hammers. And TFM is better than him as well. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 8:22am

Bar a few appearances for United when Van Gaal was having a silly season for young players, he's utterly failed to kick on there. He was fairly unimpressive in a useless Palace side last year too. If Jokanovic decides to go a more defensive route, then he might be a better call than Christie; but if he continues with an attacking style, Christie is the blatently better option.

Seriously? He had an unbelievable season. Are you actually joking? He marked Sane out of the game on one occasion and most united fans genuinely believed he was coming back to take the RB jersey. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 8:33am
Very unlike The OS to be wildly overrating Irish players Shocked
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 8:39am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Only read his comment on Shane Long in that thread. Had to take a deep breath. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:37am
Wildly overrating? I said Christie is better going forward than Fosu-Mensah, how in earth is that "wildly overrating"? I'm glad to hear Fosu-Mensah had a good game against Sane, from what I've heard Palace fans will have been disappointed that that was the exception rather than the rule...
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Only read his comment on Shane Long in that thread. Had to take a deep breath. 

What comment would that be, that Hughes will give him a chance this season? You'd want to get out a bit more if that's the kind of thing that shocks you.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:41am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Seriously? He had an unbelievable season. Are you actually joking? He marked Sane out of the game on one occasion and most united fans genuinely believed he was coming back to take the RB jersey. 

Most Man United fans thought he was coming back to take the RB jersey (ie off Valencia), did they? And I'm the one who "must be joking"... LOL
We're decent enough..
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 12:29pm

LOL “utterly failed to kick on there” 

He’s 20 years of age and will be a big part of United’s team for years to come! Injuries interrupted his spell last season at Palace.

LOL “Christie is the blatantly better option”

Take the blinkers off! Fosu-Mensah is still a better attacking option than Christie.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 1:08pm
I'd need to see more of TFM before cmparing him with Christie but from what I seen before I thought he looked good. Strong and very quick. 

Christie is a liability defensively at times.  I don't want to be too harsh on him but I don't think we'd have conceded those goals at home to Serbia and away to Georgia with Seamus Coleman. Christie was caught a bit on both goals. Certainly more the goal in Georgia. 

In fairness to Christie he's not the only liability we have in defence. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL “utterly failed to kick on there” 

He’s 20 years of age and will be a big part of United’s team for years to come! Injuries interrupted his spell last season at Palace.

LOL “Christie is the blatantly better option”

Take the blinkers off! Fosu-Mensah is still a better attacking option than Christie.

He made 8 Premier League appearances for United under Van Gaal in the 2015/16 season; since then he's managed just 4 further appearances. What else would you call that other than "a failure to kick on there"?

Now you're just quote mining. I said Christie is the blatently better option AS AN ATTACKING FULL-BACK. Explain to me what's blinkered about that? It's a balanced statement of opinion having watched them both.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 12:05pm
Just to remind you

This is what you said "Christie is the blatently better option."

Now I like Christie but he is a championship player. And tell me about your CP fans that wanted him out so bad? If Christie wasn't Irish we wouldn't even be having a discussion. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 52>
  Share Topic