Cyrus Christie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:11pm
Seems to be in a good run of form with Forest at the moment. Thought he looked decent playing a wing back too against Qatar. 

Would start him ahead of Doherty at the moment based on current form.

Edited by seanyshuffler - 06 Apr 2021 at 3:12pm
Sponsored Links

MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 11:53am
some championship team will come in for him again. Good player at that level. Too inconsistent at higher levels
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:43am
Has apparently turned things around at Forest and was named in Championship Team of the Week. Still unlikely to sign on a permanent in the summer.

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 1:59pm
Go on loan to Forest. Popped up there while watching the game.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 11:31am
I see Fulham are on the verge of signing Ola Aina and Kenny Tete.

I doubt we'll be seeing much of Cyrus this season, at least at Fulham.
Whelan88 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whelan88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 1:28am
As regards English born people of Irish heritage the people who don't accept them seem to fall into two categories, the first ones tend to have this chauvinistic and arrogant pride about their birthplace and accent almost as if they chose where their parents got jiggy or where they fell out of Mammy's gee, coupled with the notion that only they know the country, culture, it's shibboleths, it's in-jokes, language, history, politics, etc. In their minds anybody else claiming to be Irish is trying to suck up to them, it's a sort of 'islander' mindset where the Diaspora must be denied, sometimes as well because it's existence flies in the face of the new, shiny wealthy Ireland who regard Paddy and Mary getting off the Night Mail in Euston or New St in 1958 as a backward, poverty riddled embarrassment.

Irishness sets itself historically in opposition and the antithesis of anything 'British or English', therefore Paddy and Mary's offspring with their London or Birmingham accent is viewed through the prism of cultural cringe as 'a Brit' or 'the English cousin'.

The second types tend to be a bit dim-witted and village simple about the whole thing, somebody who sounds English to them couldn't possibly have Irish parents or an Irish passport, it's as if it's beyond their scope of cognitive conceptuality.

I'd imagine being black as well as born outside the state would be a no-no to some of these idiots, especially the first type.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

It's disgraceful that Christie has to deal with that sort of nonsense. One thing that I would disagree with him on though is his statement that himself, McGoldrick, and Robinson are accused of "not being Irish" simply because they are black, whereas white English-born players such as Clark and Arter never have their Irishness questioned. I think the attitudes on here are anything to go by, that's flat out inaccurate. We have a serious problem whereby all of our non-Irish born players are derided, regardless of their skin colour.

O’Shea, I get where you're coming from, but that is opening the doors to derail this thread and turn this into another eligibility thread like so many others. This is a racial issue, so let’s focus on that for now.

If McGoldrick and Robinson are both getting the same abuse, this is a major, major issue that the FAI needs to act upon.

I don’t want the next generation of Irish players to face this same issue. If the fai don’t address it, it becomes a time bomb.

No derailment whatsoever, simply an acknowledgement that we have a wider issue with out attitudes to English-born players which I would suggest is actually even more prevalent among our fanbase than anti-black attitudes. Both of these prejudices are unacceptable and need to be addressed.

LOL Clap
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

It's disgraceful that Christie has to deal with that sort of nonsense. One thing that I would disagree with him on though is his statement that himself, McGoldrick, and Robinson are accused of "not being Irish" simply because they are black, whereas white English-born players such as Clark and Arter never have their Irishness questioned. I think the attitudes on here are anything to go by, that's flat out inaccurate. We have a serious problem whereby all of our non-Irish born players are derided, regardless of their skin colour.

O’Shea, I get where you're coming from, but that is opening the doors to derail this thread and turn this into another eligibility thread like so many others. This is a racial issue, so let’s focus on that for now.

If McGoldrick and Robinson are both getting the same abuse, this is a major, major issue that the FAI needs to act upon.

I don’t want the next generation of Irish players to face this same issue. If the fai don’t address it, it becomes a time bomb.

No derailment whatsoever, simply an acknowledgement that we have a wider issue with out attitudes to English-born players which I would suggest is actually even more prevalent among our fanbase than anti-black attitudes. Both of these prejudices are unacceptable and need to be addressed.
We're decent enough..
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 2:19pm
edited to exclude name
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

can also remember [redacted] referring to jean Alain boumsong as a fcuking N***** to himself while clearly mouthing the words when he felt the Frenchman dived too easily for a free kick as the game got away from us in the lansdowne road game for 2004 euros. If anyone had that game in full I’ll like to see it again to ensure 100% that’s what he said but it looked so clear.

I think you should delete that comment TBH. That's slander.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 12 Aug 2020 at 2:43pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:54pm

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:49pm
"Ben....I just want to say one word to you. Plastics. Will you think about it ?"

"Mr Maguire" to the Dustin Hoffman character in " The Graduate . "
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:43pm
We're decent enough..
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

If you think the amount of people who believe the earth is flat is in any way equivalent to those who have racist attitudes, you're just flat wrong

Accepted, and it was a cheap comparison.

I'm not saying racism is not an issue in Ireland as I agree it is an issue everywhere that some members of society look different to the established norm of that society.
As are a myriad of other social issues.
But no whataboutery, this is about racism as experienced and described by Christie and it is wrong on every level.
I think a lot is more casual than vindictive, but it's still damaging to the victims and because of that, should not be tolerated.

I also like your arguements about the dumbing down of society in general, results being Brexit and Trump and that fool in Brazil.
Let's try our best to not be those people.
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:40pm
can also remember an Irish player referring to jean Alain boumsong as a fcuking N***** to himself while clearly mouthing the words when he felt the Frenchman dived too easily for a free kick as the game got away from us in the lansdowne road game for 2004 euros. If anyone had that game in full I’ll like to see it again to ensure 100% that’s what he said but it looked so clear.

Edited by Dots1982 - 12 Aug 2020 at 2:18pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Do we have a flat-earth problem because we have some flat-earther idiots?

There's a difference between a country having a racist problem (systematic racism), and having some idiots who spout racist nonsense.
We will always have ignorant fools - it's how the world is.

What Cyrus says is correct - education is key and we need to be intolerant to such abuse early and often.

If you think the amount of people who believe the earth is flat is in any way equivalent to those who have racist attitudes, you're just flat wrong

But actually, we do have a flat earther problem as increasing amounts of people believe in it, it's part of a much wider right-wing culture war to make people as stupid as possible

There was a big narrative in the US around 2008 and 2009 that Obama's election proved that the US had moved beyond race as an issue

How utterly wrong that narrative was

Same in this country when people claim we don't have a racism problem

What we have in this country is a large amount of tolerance - and when I say tolerance, I mean people who may not want to actively discriminate against or persecute ethnic minorities, but they want them out of sight and out of mind, and if people from ethnic minorities start speaking up "too loudly", these "tolerant" people don't like it

It's the "know your place" mindset

This is the case with probably a majority of white people pretty much everywhere

See what happens any time Danny Rose speaks up

See what happens when Traveller voices speak up in this country or people like Ebun Joseph or Hazel Chu

Edited by sid waddell - 12 Aug 2020 at 1:13pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 12:34pm
Racism is problem in greater society, and is a problem worldwide. That’s not what I’m talking about.

Christie got racially abused at an ireland training session. Where is the FAI? What are they doing to protect him and take action against the perpetrators? I’ve seen a lot of people seem happy to hide behind the idea that the abuse that Christie got on social media was coming from people in the UK. Is that the case? Did the FAI look into it?

If Paul McGrath or Chris Hughton let on that he was racially abused at an Ireland training session, I’d be furious and shocked. For it to happen nowadays is totally unacceptable, and it won’t “get better” unless people take action to make it better. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Do we have a flat-earth problem because we have some flat-earther idiots?

There's a difference between a country having a racist problem (systematic racism), and having some idiots who spout racist nonsense.
We will always have ignorant fools - it's how the world is.

What Cyrus says is correct - education is key and we need to be intolerant to such abuse early and often.

The problem is that it isn't 'some', the problem is that it's a lot. The fact that we continue to sweep it under the carpet and say we aren't a racist country or that it is just a few idiots the longer it will continue. This attitude has to change.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>
  Share Topic