Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Qatar 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 1:52pm
I would go to Qatar before Australia, I think I would go to the sun before Australia, It would be some sh*tfest.
Sponsored Links

Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 3:36pm
Australia not a viable option with a short-term decision. in terms of the stadiums and infrastructure needed.

Germany, USA and UK pretty much the only ones able to host it on short notice, with a possibility of perhaps Japan too. China could probably make it all happen in no time, but the human rights sitation there for workers etc hardly any better. 

Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

New Stadium is being built in Perth and Adelaide Oval has recently been upgraded massively.
So that's one new build and one upgrade - just need another two new builds and four major upgrades to go then.

Could be done at a year or two's notice with NZ.
Possibly, except that's not what you originally said. I mean, do we even know whether NZ are interested (or whether Oz are interested in sharing)?

MCG and Docklands (Melbourne)
Brisbane
Sydney
Perth
Adelaide
Wellington
Auckland
Dunedin

Would give them 9 stadia at least. Dispensation to allow Sydney 2 stadiums would bring it up to 10
According to Wiki, Auckland's capacity is only 36.5k and Dunedin's is 30.5k - both too small for a World Cup Finals.

And even 10 stadia is not enough these days - hence Australia originally going with a bid comprising 12.

Meanwhile my point remains: even assuming Australia could host it (whether solo or with NZ), they still would need a minimum of three years to get 12 stadia ready.

Which means a decision to switch would have to be made by 2019 at the latest.

And all the evidence is that even if FIFA were forced to take it from Qatar (v.unlikely imo), they will still hold out until the very last minute before doing so.

(Personally I'd love Oz to get it, esp with NZ, since they are two of the last major places to visit left on my "bucket list".)

Edited by Territorial - 27 Jun 2017 at 3:41pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 4:01pm
Feck off Muff with taking this thread off track... Post deleted. PM Terri there is you want to discuss his holiday arrangements.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 4:42pm
FIFA have published the report. Stealing bilds thunder. Mustn't be much in it that they've published it themselves.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

FIFA have published the report. Stealing bilds thunder. Mustn't be much in it that they've published it themselves.
So why have they so steadfastly refused to publish it in full themselves and been so desperate to keep it under lock-and-key these past few years - until today now that Bild have access to it? Confused
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

So why have they so steadfastly refused to publish it in full themselves and been so desperate to keep it under lock-and-key these past few years - until today now that Bild have access to it? Confused
How much would it take to pay off a German tabloid?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Feck off Muff with taking this thread off track... Post deleted. PM Terri there is you want to discuss his holiday arrangements.

No intention too with that pisstake comment but fair enough point.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 5:30pm

you're asking the wrong person there chief. All i know is the journalist behind the bild story said not to expect too much.

Edited by colemanY2K - 27 Jun 2017 at 5:31pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 7:09pm

you're asking the wrong person there chief. All i know is the journalist behind the bild story said not to expect too much.

Wasn't actually asking you directly, was thinking out loud a question that many others were no doubt thinking.

Just seems strange that FIFA were so keen not to publish the report in full in the 1st place if there wasn't anything significant to hide.

So another possible scandal looks to have come and gone.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:05pm
Great article once again from the excellent Marina Hyde

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/28/fifa-qatar-2022-world-cup-marina-hyde
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:31pm

Great article once again from the excellent Marina Hyde

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/28/fifa-qatar-2022-world-cup-marina-hyde
Well argued but her style really grates.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 2:42pm
FIFA talking about bringing in the 48 team tournament for this one even though there probably isn't enough stadia  Confused
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 2:44pm

FIFA talking about bringing in the 48 team tournament for this one even though there probably isn't enough stadia  Confused

Probably a nice ploy to be able to take it off them.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Nice try, but I'm not sure the Qataris would accept a move like that from FIFA. Would they not have already signed contracts to host a 32-team world cup?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 4:40pm

Nice try, but I'm not sure the Qataris would accept a move like that from FIFA. Would they not have already signed contracts to host a 32-team world cup?
Anyone in that part of the world capabale of throwing in a few satdiums? Turkey?
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Anyone in that part of the world capabale of throwing in a few satdiums? Turkey?
3,000 KM away LOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 5:07pm
Shor their neighbours are blockading them. Only Turkey and Shia Iran are supporting them. 

This idea came from South America...I doubt very much it'll have much legs and will be consigned to the bin pretty quickly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
  Share Topic