You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Qatar 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 2:58pm
Sponsored Links

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:01pm
Does this mean that there will be no Nations League equivalent? Of memory the 2018 WCQ draw took place in late July 2015.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:19pm
It isn't clear. However, the timeline certainly allows for it. The draw for the finals is not until April 2022.

Assuming a similar timeline to Euro 2020 qualifiers, it could work.

September to November 2020 - Nations League
March to November 2021 - Qualifiers proper
March 2022 - World Cup playoffs
April 2022 - World Cup Finals draw

Up to UEFA. However, I would imagine the playoffs would have to be linked to the qualifying groups proper, rather than to the Nations League. Also, with only 13 places for UEFA in the World Cup, there is a requirement for 9 qualifying groups rather than 10, which is a bit awkward with there now being 55 members, as it probably means one group of seven teams and eight of six. That is very awkward for scheduling as it requires extra matchdays (14 in total for the group of 7, instead of 10 for the groups of 6). That removes the matchdays required for the Nations League. The alternative is 13 groups, with winners only going through, and no playoffs.

I'm not sure what is going to happen, tbh.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 12 Jan 2019 at 3:20pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:25pm
Biggest issue is the scooping situation in Cat-tar
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Wine is still only $20 a bottle there!
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Wine is still only $20 a bottle there!
being restricted to where one scoops is also part of the “scooping situation”
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:05pm
Has players only have to be officially released 7 days before the opening game seams crazy Confused
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:14pm
I hope it's better organised than the Asian Cup. Farcical organisation. Went to see Palestine vs Australia yesterday, ticketing stewards and police were that slow letting people in to the stadium that most of the fans missed at least 30 minutes. I had just got up to the entrance where my section was, and the police just shut the gates and left about 1000 fans outside the ground. Their excuse was the stadium was full, yet every fan outside had a ticket. Absolute joke.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

I hope it's better organised than the Asian Cup. Farcical organisation. Went to see Palestine vs Australia yesterday, ticketing stewards and police were that slow letting people in to the stadium that most of the fans missed at least 30 minutes. I had just got up to the entrance where my section was, and the police just shut the gates and left about 1000 fans outside the ground. Their excuse was the stadium was full, yet every fan outside had a ticket. Absolute joke.

Fùcking hell LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 7:29pm
let’s hope it it expands to 48 teams. Only way we qualify is Rice leaves us. 
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 11:03pm
There is 100% going to be another Nations League from September-November 2020. It’s going to be interesting to see how UEFA will format the qualifying process for the World Cup to facilitate the Nations League schedule. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_UEFA_Nations_League
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

There is 100% going to be another Nations League from September-November 2020. It’s going to be interesting to see how UEFA will format the qualifying process for the World Cup to facilitate the Nations League schedule. 

There were rumors that the top two Leagues would be elgiable for a playoff but not C
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 6:52pm
my god the Brits are now offering the prospect of  a joint wc bid - this smacks of Alan partridge monkey tennis speech 

Especially since they shafted Germany over the 2006 bid and after the withdrawal agreement fiasco 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

my god the Brits are now offering the prospect of  a joint wc bid - this smacks of Alan partridge monkey tennis speech 

Especially since they shafted Germany over the 2006 bid and after the withdrawal agreement fiasco 

That's been in the works a while. FAI announced it in Nov IIRC  
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

That's been in the works a while. FAI announced it in Nov IIRC  

Aye I know but the fact that it is mentioned in her keynote speech today just sounds desperate- I know she is desperate but still 
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 7:31pm
a wc bid with 4 host nations as ni don’t have a ground big enough ffs why stop at 4 ? why not have have a wc around the world I mean sone French **** in Europe thought it a good idea 
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 2:41pm
Queen of sarcasm Marina Hyde in today's Guardian LOL:-

Come on, Ireland – be a good sport

Probers of the question “How desperate is Brexit getting?” will have found Theresa May’s speech in Belfast on Tuesday afternoon hugely encouraging.

The prime minster took the opportunity to reannounce the “tantalising possibility” of a joint UK-Ireland bid for the 2030 World Cup. Given England’s fractious relations with Fifa, there has for some time been a sense that the only way to get them to ever seriously consider a World Cup bid would be to incorporate the home nations as well as Ireland into it. A joint bid would mean Fifa keeping a full five spots open for the hosts of course but, given Gianni Infantino’s sporticidal 48-team World Cup might be a reality by then, there could be plenty of slack.

Even so, the timing of this particular announcement suggests the World Cup is the least of the ways in which Brexiteers would really like Ireland to “work closely” with the UK.

It was only last week that May’s former chief of staff Nick Timothy was suggesting that Ireland pull its finger out and leave its customs union with the European Union in order to assist the UK with Brexit. Then, Nick decided, the Republic should agree a common commercial policy including matching tariffs with the EU. You can tell how well our sovereign decision is going by the fact we are now demanding Ireland abandon their own sovereignty.

I can’t help feeling there is something of this boggling high‑handedness to the idea of the joint World Cup bid. Still, come on Ireland – how about it? If we let you host some forgettable group games, will you do the sporting thing and exit the EU?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:40am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic