Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harry Arter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 93>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Mick should name his starting 11 and subs a month in advance to make sure these little darlings know if they are playing or have a realistic chance of coming on at least. This way they don't have to go through the turmoil of being forced to pull out of the squad due to a lack of commitment to them from their country.

Like Trap did?
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 5:28am
Arter comes off the bench for Fulham for the second game in a row.  

Timed his surgery well to ensure he hasn't been unavailable for a single Fulham game as a result of it. 

Hopefully he gets a run of games now and can get back into our squad and impress Mick.  His energy and ability to keep the ball could be useful at stages over our upcoming double-header, particularly if legs tire in the second half.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:35pm
Starts today 
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Starts today 

Does Mick not rate him or has he refused a call up?
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 12:12am
Wasn't widely reported on, which probably says as much for the lads forgotten men status as anything else, but by the looks of these comments, Mick has told Arter & Westwood he won't be picking them bar emergencies. And pointedly told Arter he wouldn't be getting in the squad anyway as he is behind the lads he has picked. 

This doesn't have a lot to do with Mick not rating the lads, and everything to do with their history of pulling out of squads, though I'm sure the usual suspects will refuse to accept that even in the face of overwhelming evidence. Rightly or wrongly, Mick values loyalty over everything else, seemingly even football ability, so once the lads didn't show what he thought was 100% commitment, they were always going to be on shaky ground. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 12:29am
That seems a fair bit harsher on Arter than Westwood, tbh.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 12:39am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Maybe, and I don't think Mick should be particularly alienating anyone from the squad, if Hendrick & Whelan were to be injured at the weekend, Arter would be one of the first calls he should make. I say should, as he would likely be too stubborn to make that call in reality. It's much the same with Long, although I don't know a single person that would have Hogan in the squad ahead of him as it stands, never mind if more strikers got injured. 

I kind of understand Westwoods position, he came over to Gibraltar for Micks first game, maybe thought he had a chance of getting in, didn't, so more or less decided to put club first since. But at the same time, if Randolph had that attitude when Given & Forde were ahead of him, he probably wouldn't be Ireland's keeper right now. 

Whether we as fans like it or not, there are just some lads more committed than others. This isn't an English born thing either just before anyone suggests it, Joey O'Brien was one that I remember being very lukewarm as regards turning up for squads just to give one example. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 3:21am
Two underwhelming half-arsed and largely pointless international careers at an apparent end then. Arter has spent the last three or four years since his debut pulling out repeatedly with dubious injuries, sulking off or going Go-karting with his mates and has never really turned up or looked interested when he has been on the pitch. Has better things to do with his life than playing football for The EIRE so good luck to him.
Looking forward to the usual apologisms from their Cheer leading fan club on here though
Sullivinho View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sullivinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 3:29am
I think Harry enjoyed having 'Ireland international' on his CV. While secretly hoping his references wouldn't be contacted.

As for Westwood, I never dared dream that such an able and true replacement could be found for Dean Kiely. Hug

Edited by Sullivinho - 03 Oct 2019 at 3:29am
Pure Hat!
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 3:45am
Arter must be the most un-committed player for us in a long, long time.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 8:28am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Mick is 100% spot on. I think the below quote tells you a lot

If I need them, they’ll be ready but I think they’re both happy enough with my decision. 

They can concentrate on the (club) football without having to tell me. I’m telling them.” 

I think we badly need Arter in the squad but his commitment is certainly in question and has been for a long time. I'd say Mick might've taken a dim view of Arter pulling out of the last squad but was quite happy to play for Fulham against Reading or Cardiff. If McClean needed an operation in the middle of an international break you'd give him the benefit of the doubt as he's committed but not Arter. 

Given the squad limitations the very least you need is a tight group of committed players who'll run through a brick wall to play for Ireland. Arter is definitely not one of those. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 9:03am
I do love the quotes LOL if those lads were actually needed, does McCarthy really believe they'll be available when he clicks his fingers?

It's gas, if MON came out with those quotes about any Irish players he'd be pilloried by all and sundry, and rightly so. Is there any need at all for those quotes?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 11:35am
So essentially Mick tells Arter that he isn't going to pick him, yet somehow Arter still gets blamed for not being picked. Makes sense...
We're decent enough..
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 11:46am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

So essentially Mick tells Arter that he isn't going to pick him, yet somehow Arter still gets blamed for not being picked. Makes sense...

I’ve defended Arter in the past but can’t now, Mick clearly notices that Arter chooses club football over country and he’s not having it. If you’re pulling out of squads and playing the next week for your club, rightly so questions should be asked. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 12:04pm

You've hopped over the fence baby!! Our job is to do analysis and so is yours, not be some PR man for Harry Arter! 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

You've hopped over the fence baby!! Our job is to do analysis and so is yours, not be some PR man for Harry Arter! 

One of these days you are going to go a whole day without writing an embarrassing post Muff, one day soon! I can feel it.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

I’ve defended Arter in the past but can’t now, Mick clearly notices that Arter chooses club football over country and he’s not having it. If you’re pulling out of squads and playing the next week for your club, rightly so questions should be asked. 

No, Mick told him that he's 7th choice and thus wouldn't be in the squad, that decision is completely out of Arter's hands. He also says both players would accept a call up when called upon, which hardly tallies with the idea they're uncommitted, does it?
We're decent enough..
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 12:10pm

Are you slow or just special
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 93>
  Share Topic