You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harry Arter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 93>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 1:14pm
All excellent points and nothing I can really counter. 

The point about releasing a statement and dropping out of games at this point would not surprise me and would hammer the last nail in the coffin regarding his commitment.

At this point, I'd just like to give him the benefit of the doubt as he's having surgery.

Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 1:17pm
I couldnt care less hes not come over. Does anyone care. Hes never really bust a gut for us anyway. If he never turned up again i wouldnt even notice. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 2:29pm
I’m a fan of Harry! Decent footballer and seems like a down to earth kind of guy.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 12:11pm

Edited by The O'Shea - 30 Sep 2020 at 1:42pm
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Out injured for Fulham today. I guess he isn't "committed" to them either Embarrassed

He's suspended due to the red card he picked up in last game.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 2:03pm

Out injured for Fulham today. I guess he isn't "committed" to them either Embarrassed
Embarrassed We are touchy and protective over our little granny rule darlings aren't we
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

LOL
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 2:29pm

LOL
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 3:20pm

He's injured following the operation he had regardless, never fails to amaze me the amount of times his commitment is questioned despite all the evidence to the contrary.
We're decent enough..
IrishKeano View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishKeano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 4:28pm

He's injured following the operation he had regardless, never fails to amaze me the amount of times his commitment is questioned despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Not trying to start an argument or be antagonistic but what evidence is there to the contrary ? Genuinely interested,I like the lad but he does come across as very apathetic to us at points.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 2:38am

Another stupid comment from O'Shea.

Arter CHOSE to have surgery in the days before Ireland's biggest home game in two years.  He was grand to start for and play at full pelt for Fulham right beforehand - the surgery was clearly elective as to timing. 

If Arter was strongly committed, surely he could have had his surgery the day after the Swiss game?

As it turned out, we could really have done with him when the midfielders tired after 55 min.  It's obvious he's prioritising his club team over Ireland.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 15 Sep 2019 at 2:52am
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 8:28am
To be in a position to label another posters comment as "stupid" assumes you have access to all the information of Arters withdrawal from the ireland team - which you don't Luis.

I hold a similar position here to oshea in that Arter wants to play for ireland and he can just retire when he feels he's had enough.

I also feel that he wasn't going to play a part in the swiss game despite being our best option at the time (whelan was going to play regardless) so maybe ireland could show a bit more commitment to him 

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Arter CHOSE to have surgery in the days before Ireland's biggest home game in two years.  He was grand to start for and play at full pelt for Fulham right beforehand - the surgery was clearly elective as to timing. 

If Arter was strongly committed, surely he could have had his surgery the day after the Swiss game?

As it turned out, we could really have done with him when the midfielders tired after 55 min.  It's obvious he's prioritising his club team over Ireland.

Matt Doherty did exactly the same thing. Why does he escape similar censure?

Neither are regular starters. Neither would have played in the Swiss match. The clubs are their employers, they play their wages. Any player would have done just what Arter and Doherty have done.

Arter could have called time on his Ireland career after the Keane abuse, but came back, while Keane and O'Neill were still there, so that must say something as to his commitment.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 15 Sep 2019 at 8:55am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 11:36am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Matt Doherty did exactly the same thing. Why does he escape similar censure?

Neither are regular starters. Neither would have played in the Swiss match. The clubs are their employers, they play their wages. Any player would have done just what Arter and Doherty have done.

Arter could have called time on his Ireland career after the Keane abuse, but came back, while Keane and O'Neill were still there, so that must say something as to his commitment.

I never get this explanation.  You'd swear they were workers in a 1900 industrial factory somewhere where they have no rights could be fired at the drop of a hat. As if pissing off the employer would mean his children starving and going into abject poverty.
These lads are millionaires on big contracts and player power is at an all time high.  Deciding to play for EIRE is not going to harm their careers.

R.Keane was only too happy to skip EIRE internationals lest piss off old whiskey nose.  In his book he made it sound like it was a decision whether to put food on the table for his wife and kids or play for the Boys in Green
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 1:07pm
A bit more sympathy with young Doherty in this situation. He had no chance of starting against Switzerland. Arter had more chance of playing due to other central midfielders lack of game time and Mick talking his form up in the weeks prior to the game.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 3:28pm
Mick should name his starting 11 and subs a month in advance to make sure these little darlings know if they are playing or have a realistic chance of coming on at least. This way they don't have to go through the turmoil of being forced to pull out of the squad due to a lack of commitment to them from their country.

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 3:28pm
Only 1 spot at right back. Arter could have played in 2 or 3 spots, plus more chance of a midfielder being required off the bench.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 3:56pm
The artful dodger is very aptly named
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 93>
  Share Topic