You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harry Arter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 93>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

the dubai trip was a warm weather training camp with his club.

Exactly but what does it matter. We're always so quick to judge people without thinking for one second about their private lives.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:35am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Lads I read this with tears in eyes - absolutely great read, spoke from the heart and it was refreshing to see someone so honest.

Just puts things in to perspective for me a little. Lots on here questioning his commitment and loyalty to us but the fact is he is / was dealing with a personal tragedy and his head obviously wasn't right. Fair f**ks to him. 

So he is above criticism because he has openly talked about a personal tragedy?
I don't think anyone, bar a few idiots on twitter, has brought this into it. I think we all wish him and his family well, that doesn't change the doubts some people may have about his commitment and it is a bit distasteful to use it in his defence.
He is an Irish footballer, this is an Irish football forum. He will be discussed in regard to performance and commitment on his performance and commitment like every other player.

That is a well written piece, fair play to him for being so open about it, it can't be easy.

I reckon you would turn every comment in to an argument if you could. 

Yes this is my view. His commitment is in question by fans on this forum. But maybe this article will let people understand that some peoples decisions aren't based purely on what we think they are. So I don't find it distasteful. I'm sure that if he's fit, he will play. If not - instead of arsing about over here for a few days he is going to spend time with his family. I think people should lay off a small bit and this has everything to do with it. 
How is it an argument? This is a forum for discussion.
That article told me nothing about his commitment to us at all, there is nothing to understand. My doubts stem from the recent call up for the Wales game when we found out he was unavailable via a social media message showing him on a plane to Dubai. This comes after previously pulling out of squads and subsequently playing in his club's next game. 
I think using his personal tragedy as a defence is little better than using it as a criticism and is distasteful as it is completely irrelevant.

That is my point exactly. I knew that was the incident you would mention. Maybe he needed just to "get away" and spend some time with his family after all his heartache. You're questioning his commitment - but what he is going through in his personal life has a direct impact on what he does in his professional footballing life, can you really not see that? That's my sole point. 
Of course it has an effect, but coming up with as an excuse and making him above criticism because of it is just plain wrong. If Harry Arter needed some time off from football I am sure he would have said but he went to a warm weather training camp with his club, Bournemouth didn't just go there for team bonding alone; it was his job.
He didn't spend extra time with his family, nobody would have begrudged them if he did, but he didn't! He has spoken magnificently on the subject and I am sure he is helping others, if he needed time I am sure he would have taken it, explained why and all bar the usual twitter cranks would have accepted it.
The doubts about his commitment started before his tragedy in December 2015 too. 
I think this is around the fourth time he is pulled out of a squad and subsequently appeared for his club, which may just be coincidental, of course, but the fact remains that nobody knew of his absence for Wales until a social media post was picked up in the media. We still have had no clarification as to why he missed those games, something which, in this day and age, is incredibly unusual. MON outlined the reasons behind all other absentees to the media with lip service paid to Arter.

We don't know of anyone's personal life or how anybody is coping. There was little, and still is little, sympathy for Steven Ireland even though not that that lad's head was all over the place, even before his missus miscarried, it is no coincidence that the best form of his career coincided with Sven getting him to see a psychiatrist, I don't see how the rules should be different for Arter. There has been and will be doubts over his commitment, they will probably continue until he plays more than 2 games in a row. He won't be the first or last either,  as international football slips down the list of priorities.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 3:36pm

Exactly but what does it matter. We're always so quick to judge people without thinking for one second about their private lives.

It absolutely matters.

How can going to Dubai with a group of footballers "help you get away from the heartache" in a way that going to Dublin with a group of footballers cant?

In fact your original post said "get away with his family", so when it was pointed out to you he had in fact gone away with a group of footballers on a warm weather break, all you could manage was "exactly, what does it matter".

Look its nice that you were moved by his story. We all empathise and sympathise and offer our sincere condolences. It was a sh*t situation. But it doesnt defend his (lack of) commitment.

Edited by rolo - 19 Jun 2017 at 3:41pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

It absolutely matters.

How can going to Dubai with a group of footballers "help you get away from the heartache" in a way that going to Dublin with a group of footballers cant?

In fact your original post said "get away with his family", so when it was pointed out to you he had in fact gone away with a group of footballers on a warm weather break, all you could manage was "exactly, what does it matter".

Look its nice that you were moved by his story. We all empathise and sympathise and offer our sincere condolences. It was a sh*t situation. But it doesnt defend his (lack of) commitment.

Jesus - I can't believe I have to keep repeating myself. 

First of all, do you know Harry Arter? Because I certainly don't but from reading that story and where he was born etc I would highly doubt any of his best mates are in the Republic of Ireland squad. Your post says it all - "a group of footballers".

He has been at Bournemouth since 2010. And reading his story his "best mates" were the ones that helped him through the tragedy, the same lads that would have been on that trip. No offence to the Irish boys but I know who I would prefer to chill with. 

All I could manage? The facts are there - if he is fit he plays. Where is the evidence that he is a bunk or not committed. Just because loudmouth knowitalls on here think they know everything about a persons private life. 

I think people need to relax a small bit. If MON / Keane didn't fancy him or had question marks over his commitment he would be out the gap. In fact the rest of the players wouldn't want him near the set up. Get a grip.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 5:13pm

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

It absolutely matters.

Jesus - I can't believe I have to keep repeating myself. 

First of all, do you know Harry Arter? Because I certainly don't but from reading that story and where he was born etc I would highly doubt any of his best mates are in the Republic of Ireland squad. Your post says it all - "a group of footballers".

He has been at Bournemouth since 2010. And reading his story his "best mates" were the ones that helped him through the tragedy, the same lads that would have been on that trip. No offence to the Irish boys but I know who I would prefer to chill with. 

All I could manage? The facts are there - if he is fit he plays. Where is the evidence that he is a bunk or not committed. Just because loudmouth knowitalls on here think they know everything about a persons private life. 

I think people need to relax a small bit. If MON / Keane didn't fancy him or had question marks over his commitment he would be out the gap. In fact the rest of the players wouldn't want him near the set up. Get a grip.

First of all, do you know MON and the Irish players?

So how do you know what they think?

Judging by McClean's comments before the Mexico game it sounds like he isnt overly happy with him, though no he didnt mention Arter by name, before u point that out.
And he's outspoken. Others wouldnt comment.

Edited by rolo - 19 Jun 2017 at 5:14pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 6:25pm
Martin O'Neill didn't seem too happy when being interviewed later on in the day from his flight to Dubai.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 8:58pm
Jaysus, are we still talking about this ? O'Neill could have made him come to Dublin to be looked at by the doctor, he didn't. O'Neill could have flagged any issue to the press, he didn't. O'Neill could have dropped him from the next squad if he'd had an issue with him, he didn't.

Move along, nothing to see here. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Jaysus, are we still talking about this ? O'Neill could have made him come to Dublin to be looked at by the doctor, he didn't. O'Neill could have flagged any issue to the press, he didn't. O'Neill could have dropped him from the next squad if he'd had an issue with him, he didn't.

Move along, nothing to see here. 

Clap
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 6:24pm
Signed a new 4 year deal with Bournemouth
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:31pm
Just catching up on MOTD. Watford attacking Bournemouth and the ball plays into Chalobah who's in a good position to take a strike. Harry Arter closing down on him but still too far away, as the ball comes to Chalobah... Arter shouts "have it" or words of that effect and Chalobah steps over it and arter clears it. Sneaky fecker Harry

Edited by McG - 20 Aug 2017 at 9:32pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:37pm
Oldest trick in the book McG
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:41pm
Absolutely. I still do it but at EPL level
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 11:16pm
It should be an indirect free-kick and a yellow card.
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 11:20pm

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

That is the rule, or at least it was when I did some refereeing. I am fairly certain it hasn't changed. 

Just had a look online, this is from a website called "Ask the Ref".

"the Laws state is that verbal distraction of an opponent during play or at a restart is a cautionable offence. The restart after the caution is an IDFK."

Edited by pre Madonna - 20 Aug 2017 at 11:31pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 11:40pm
Arry aint no cockney villain
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 7:00am
Bournemouth stadium is only 11,360.
The next lowest is Swansea with 20,972.

I know they have been talking about a new stadium but they really need to get going.
Only one team in the championship has a smaller stdium and that's Burton with about 7k.

djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 1:55pm
Edited

Edited by djhegzy - 26 Aug 2017 at 1:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 93>
  Share Topic