Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harry Arter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 93>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:19am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Did he? I don't ever remember him saying that. I'd like to see some evidence of it.

54.30mins
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:32am
Hity missy turner uper LOL i never seen this documentary. Must watch it.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:44am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Hity missy turner uper LOL i never seen this documentary. Must watch it.

I'd have loved if James McCarthy was in his squads pulling out

''James is a wishy washy turner upper. Always has an injury.''
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

He's not just saying I want to be involved he's said to Mick pick other people rather than me  if I'm not going to be in the team.  That is not enthusiasm, there's few players in world football can get away with saying that, what if all our squad members took that attitude? You'd only get eleven senior players in the squad every game and all the subs would be uncapped youngsters. Does that ever happen with any international team? 
No because most players are proud to be part of their international squad and to turn up and fight for their place but he doesn't turn up and that's the reason more than anything he has only 15 caps, as he moans about. He's not done himself any favours by keeping withdrawing whilst continuing to be available for his club. You will never be able to comprehend that though in your see no evil hear no evil green tinted vision of Irish football.
I've nothing against him personally he just makes it such a low priority in his career to be involved with the national team that he may as well just retire and focus on his club career where he hasn't contributed much lately either.

He was making a general statement that he would not be happy to be out of the team (would you find it normal if any player said they would be happy to be out of team?). You have chosen to interpret that as Arter saying "I couldn't be ars*d turning up if I'm not starting"; grounded very clearly in your biased view of him. If anyone else said it it would be interpreted for what it is - a player stating their desire to be a starter, with no allusion to them not bothering to show up if they aren't. In other words, simply saying they would be disappointed not to play.

Here are the facts:
Arter has been lining out for Ireland since he was 17; he is still here at nearly 31 (despite numerous injury issues; family tragedy; nonsense from idiotic fans such as yourself; and outrageous abuse from members of our own management team) stating that he WANTS TO PLAY FOR IRELAND! 
Are these the actions of someone who "lacks commitment"? Are they f*ck....
It really must require an incredible suspension of disbelief on your part to maintain your view that he doesn't really care about representing Ireland, it's actually quite sad tbh.

Edited by The O'Shea - 31 Jul 2020 at 11:03am
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:32am
He's clearly said if you don't want to pick me to play then pick other players for the squad instead and has repeatedly withdrawn himself from squads whenever the opportunity has presented. He repeatedly emphasises in the interview the fact that his club career is the real priority for him these days and implies that turning up for Ireland is merely a hindrance to this. If you can't hear this then its because you are refusing to allow yourself to.
You have such a distorted inverted sense of logic when it comes to Ireland footballers though it is like trying to argue with Saddam Hussain's minister of propaganda, there is absolutely no sense of objectivity.
Based on his performances in an Ireland shirt, his age and form there is no justification for picking him in the team so given his attitude its a waste of time considering him for a squad place any more. We may be hard for players but we are not that hard up.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:47am
Conan, that's a bit disingenuous.

What he said was he was on loan with Fulham and they were chasing promotion.  It was a v important spell for him and the club.

He had a good chat with Mick who said he wan't in his plans to really play so he said he'd be available if that changed and pick one of the younger lads who'll gain a lot more simply from being with the squad those days than would a lad at the other end of his career.

That's it.
It's pragmatic and mature.
I don't think he'll be a guaranteed starter (far from it) for Kenny but he will likely be asked to come along so let's see how that pans out.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Conan, that's a bit disingenuous.

What he said was he was on loan with Fulham and they were chasing promotion.  It was a v important spell for him and the club.

He had a good chat with Mick who said he wan't in his plans to really play so he said he'd be available if that changed and pick one of the younger lads who'll gain a lot more simply from being with the squad those days than would a lad at the other end of his career.

That's it.
It's pragmatic and mature.
I don't think he'll be a guaranteed starter (far from it) for Kenny but he will likely be asked to come along so let's see how that pans out.

In fairness looking at the dross playing in midfield for us if I was a player of Arters ability and the manager said I wasn’t in his plans then could you blame him for being a bit spikey. McCarthy should have been sacked for playing Whelan against Switzerland 4 days after Georgia it was even worse than the shambolic team selection and if he did say that to Arter considering our lack of options that’s worse again. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

My main memory of John Sheridan was scoring against Spain in Lansdown and against Italy in Giants stadium. How good was he for us? I don't really remember him much for us.
Passing midfielder who you wouldn't exactly consider to be JCs type of player. Sheridan couldn't run or tackle but was good in possession of the ball. I always felt Jack had a soft spot for him if you compare how he treated similar players like Whelan or Brady. His goal in the 3-1 defeat to Spain was crucial although on the day of seemed like a consolation.

How exactly did he treat Whelan and Brady? Both were wracked with injuries and reaching the end of the road, when they were fit and could contribute, he played them. I never bought the Dunphy narrative with Brady in particular. Brady had been very poor under Hand post 82. Under Jack he was out best player in Euro 88 qualifying and would have started in midfield in Germany only for suspension and then a horrific injury. He wasn't the same player when he came back from that injury and Townsend was a better option. I don't agree with the substitution before half time against Germany but that's all. He'd actually retired from football before Italia 90 started. I understand how much a World Cup in Italy would have meant for him but should have have been in the squad other than for sentimental value like Stapleton?

As for Whelan, he was integral until getting injured before Italia 90 and was  unfortunately clearly not match fit over there. He was hugely injury prone after a bad injury the following year for the rest of his career. Still made the squad in 94 but wasn't fit again and Sheridan was a better option by that stage. 

There's a narrative out there that Charlton treated both appallingly and it was used as a stick to beat him with but it never stood up to scrutiny. 

Did he have a tactical approach set up to best suit their talents? No, but that's a different argument. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 31 Jul 2020 at 12:03pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

He's clearly said if you don't want to pick me to play then pick other players for the squad instead and has repeatedly withdrawn himself from squads whenever the opportunity has presented. He repeatedly emphasises in the interview the fact that his club career is the real priority for him these days and implies that turning up for Ireland is merely a hindrance to this. If you can't hear this then its because you are refusing to allow yourself to.
You have such a distorted inverted sense of logic when it comes to Ireland footballers though it is like trying to argue with Saddam Hussain's minister of propaganda, there is absolutely no sense of objectivity.
Based on his performances in an Ireland shirt, his age and form there is no justification for picking him in the team so given his attitude its a waste of time considering him for a squad place any more. We may be hard for players but we are not that hard up.

Absolutely deluded and blinded by irrational hatred. If you really think someone who represents a country over the course of 14 years (and has to deal with all the other sh*te I've mentioned) is just in it for a bit of a kick around without any real desire, then you are literally too dimwitted to argue with. 
Arter has stated on numerous occasions now that he wants to play for Ireland (it's ridiculous he even has to in the first place) yet you are simply unable to accept these unequivocal statements of intent provided to you; opting instead to descend deeper and deeper into tinpot conspiracy theory in order to sustain your delusions. As I said, it's just plain sad.

Edited by The O'Shea - 31 Jul 2020 at 12:45pm
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:47pm
I acknowledge the unequivocal statements of intent to find the time show up to play for us when he is awarded a place in the starting team. He has managed to turn up an entire 15 times after all in the last five and a half years since his first call up.
 I am in awe of his sacrifice in the service of the nation, please don't imagine otherwise Beer
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Did he? I don't ever remember him saying that. I'd like to see some evidence of it.

54.30mins

Good video. I hadn't seen that for a while.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:34pm
Fulham promoted but Harry hasn’t featured in the playoffs. Wonder if he’ll return to Fulham next season. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:41pm
He's been injured. I'd say there's a decent chance he'll be kept on for his prior EPL experience.
We're decent enough..
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:45pm
From what I recall (open to correction though) from his interview last week on OTB, he said he hadn't made the required amount of starts this season in which they would make an offer (as per the loan agreement). 

Could see him back at Bournemouth.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:54pm
I'm sure his brother in law will make an offer for him. 
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:56pm
Someone said part of the loan was if they were promoted compulsory purchase. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 8:39pm
I think Arter lost any enthusiasm he had for playing for the country when he wasn't picked for Euro 2016, and his commitment was already tenuous at that point.

He must've pulled out of 8 or 9 squads for little or no reason since his debut.

I remember him throwing a sulk when he didn't get on in Serbia.

I suggest the reason MON selected Stephen Quinn to come on instead of him is because he noticed that Quinn is actually arsed.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:27pm
Didn't Arter get an injury leading up to Euros?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 93>
  Share Topic