Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harry Arter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 93>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 2:21pm
Good interview with Arter with OTB yesterday (Starts about 23m mark)

Gives an very honest account of the whole scenario with Keane fallout and his conversation with  McCarthy.

Edited by lassassinblanc - 30 Jul 2020 at 2:21pm
Sponsored Links

Whelan88 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whelan88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:54pm
He was decent a few years back during Bournemouth's promotion season but I'm sure we could do better than this bloke, typical Granny Ruler as far as his Ireland credentials are concerned, he hardly comes across as a Breen or a Kilbane who'd swim Muir Éireann to get the Green jersey on.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 8:56pm
I'll give it a listen.

I do think Arter gets a bad rap from some Ireland fans. He's still a potentially very useful player for us. Keane's a thug whose own level of commitment is hardly beyond reproach. And McCarthy's attitude hardly helped matters.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:48pm
He's basically saying he's told Mick only bother to pick me if I'm going to be in the team. he's literally said just that even whilst trying to be diplomatic on account of the audience. That is precisely why, aside from the mediocrity of his performances, he gets a bad rap from Ireland fans. The commitment is clearly not there and never going to be now. 
He's in his thirties now as well, not playing too great and its just time to look to the next generation rather than flogging an unwilling dead horse. 

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Good interview with Arter with OTB yesterday (Starts about 23m mark)

Gives an very honest account of the whole scenario with Keane fallout and his conversation with  McCarthy.

Roy Keane accused him of faking injuries.  The ironyLOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

He's basically saying he's told Mick only bother to pick me if I'm going to be in the team. he's literally said just that even whilst trying to be diplomatic on account of the audience. That is precisely why, aside from the mediocrity of his performances, he gets a bad rap from Ireland fans. The commitment is clearly not there and never going to be now. 
He's in his thirties now as well, not playing too great and its just time to look to the next generation rather than flogging an unwilling dead horse. 

Agreed. There has always been a slight sense of doubt around his commitment, hard to know if it is justified or if the lad has just been unlucky with injuries and personal circumstances (partner had a miscarriage), but even if we do give him the benefit of the doubt he is still not a guaranteed squad member with the emergence of the likes of Molumby, Cullen and Knight.  
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:15pm
Its a pretty honest interview in fairness. I wudnt be his biggest fan but hes still a pretty decent option to have. If hes playing well and Stephen calls him into the squad i wudnt have any problems with that. Like a lot of our players over the last few years the style of football was never going to make any of them look great, the opposite happened in most matches. Defo should be considered anyway.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:21pm
Jack Chartlton accused John Sheridan of faking injuries and pulling out of squads back in the late 80s/early 90s

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Jack Chartlton accused John Sheridan of faking injuries and pulling out of squads back in the late 80s/early 90s

I've a VHS Jack made for one of the tabloids prior to the '94 World Cup, with player profiles, and he made that point.

I'll try and upload it onto YouTube sometime if people are interested.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:54pm
My main memory of John Sheridan was scoring against Spain in Lansdown and against Italy in Giants stadium. How good was he for us? I don't really remember him much for us.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I've a VHS Jack made for one of the tabloids prior to the '94 World Cup, with player profiles, and he made that point.

I'll try and upload it onto YouTube sometime if people are interested.

That's right.  Its called Going to America

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:06pm

What a bizarre reading of it. Any way to continue knocking the lad I suppose. He's repeatedly said he's available, he's spoken to Kenny and says he wants to play. What more should he do? Maybe if he dropped the English accent you'd be more sympathetic towards him.
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:27pm
I was curious how long it would take for you to come on here and tell me I hadn't just heard precisely what I had just heard clear as a bell, how in his own words he didn't want be in the squad to make the numbers up and if he wasn't going to get picked in the team Mick should just fill the squad with youngsters (who might actually be grateful to be part of the squad). He actually repeated it twice within five minutes in case you didn't catch it the first time ... You'd be a champion gaslighter Clap
You have to be a lot better player than Arter is to carry around that attitude.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:39pm

I was curious how long it would take for you to come on here and tell me I hadn't just heard precisely what I had just heard clear as a bell, how in his own words he didn't want be in the squad to make the numbers up and if he wasn't going to get picked in the team Mick should just fill the squad with youngsters (who might actually be grateful to be part of the squad). He actually repeated it twice within five minutes in case you didn't catch it the first time ... You'd be a champion gaslighter Clap
You have to be a lot better player than Arter is to carry around that attitude.

No one "wants to be in the squad to make up the numbers", that is a universal sentiment. Any sane person would interpret that as meaning "I want to play", you interpret it as "I couldn't be ars*d turning up".

You absolutely hate the guy, it's utterly comical. Every chance you've had to bash him for the last 4 years, you've had a go at him. Even when he's declaring his enthusiasm (amd not for the first time) to play for his country, you find a way to turn it around and suggest he really isn't commited at all. And you call me a gaslighter? LOL
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:09am
He's not just saying I want to be involved he's said to Mick pick other people rather than me  if I'm not going to be in the team.  That is not enthusiasm, there's few players in world football can get away with saying that, what if all our squad members took that attitude? You'd only get eleven senior players in the squad every game and all the subs would be uncapped youngsters. Does that ever happen with any international team? 
No because most players are proud to be part of their international squad and to turn up and fight for their place but he doesn't turn up and that's the reason more than anything he has only 15 caps, as he moans about. He's not done himself any favours by keeping withdrawing whilst continuing to be available for his club. You will never be able to comprehend that though in your see no evil hear no evil green tinted vision of Irish football.
I've nothing against him personally he just makes it such a low priority in his career to be involved with the national team that he may as well just retire and focus on his club career where he hasn't contributed much lately either.

Edited by Conan - 31 Jul 2020 at 12:10am
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:26am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

My main memory of John Sheridan was scoring against Spain in Lansdown and against Italy in Giants stadium. How good was he for us? I don't really remember him much for us.
Passing midfielder who you wouldn't exactly consider to be JCs type of player. Sheridan couldn't run or tackle but was good in possession of the ball. I always felt Jack had a soft spot for him if you compare how he treated similar players like Whelan or Brady. His goal in the 3-1 defeat to Spain was crucial although on the day of seemed like a consolation.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:53am
Jack said that he wanted Sheridan to be in his first choice team but he kept pulling out of squads with mickey mouse excuses and and eventually had to forget about him.  Said he questioned his desire to play for Ireland.

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:03am
Did he? I don't ever remember him saying that. I'd like to see some evidence of it.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 93>
  Share Topic