You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:03pm
Luca Connell named in McCarthy's qualifiers squad
Sponsored Links

skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Luca Connell named in McCarthy's qualifiers squad

Clap Delighted to see this, surprised too! 
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 6:02pm
Has anyone seen O'Connell play? What kind of player is he?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Has anyone seen O'Connell play? What kind of player is he?

cue Javier.... this kid is NEW ENZO Francescoli of RIVER plate fame 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 6:34pm
More of a JUAN ROMAN RIQUELME imo.
We're decent enough..
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 10:04pm
He is like a young LOCO SIMEONE. Play him with Sheridan and we will score 
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 2:33am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

Originally posted by skylarking skylarking wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Rangers, Norwich, Southampton and Preston are reportedly interested in signing Luca Connell.

I think there will be more suitors to follow. Not too many of our underage internationals have had any 1st team experience with their clubs, even the highly touted ones - so I think it's justifiable to say he's flying under the radar a bit. 

If you take the U19 squad as an example (or certainly those that are eligible), the likes of Nathan Collins, Conor Coventry, Luca Connell, Adam O'Reilly, Aaron Connolly and Michael Obafemi have all experienced first team football.  Jason Knight was on the bench for Derby last week.  The last time I recall an Irish underage squad having that number of players with first team experience was the U18 squad that won the European Championships in 1998.
Is Conor Coventry still u19? With a full squad they could go very close to winning the tournament.

He is.

The U19s could potentially put the following team together for the European Championships:

1. Brian Maher (St Pat's)

2. Lee O'Connor (Man U)  4. Oisin McEntee (Newcastle)  5. Nathan Collins (Stoke)   3. Kameron Ledwidge (Southampton)

7. Conor Coventry (West Ham)  6. Jason Knight (Derby)  8. Aaron Bolger (Cardiff)

10. Troy Parrott (Spurs)  9. Adam Idah (Norwich)  11. Aaron Connolly (Brighton)

That would mean excluding the likes of Luca Connell, Will Smallbone and Jonathan Afolabi from the starting line-up.  It's certainly been a while since we've had so many promising young players in a single age group.
 The strenght of that squad is measured by the players who will be on the bench or not in the squad at all, lads like McAuley (Liverpool), Obafemi (Southampton), Okoflex, Coffey (Celtic), Kian Clarke (Rovers), Johannson (Bayern), McEneff, McGuinness, Tormey (Arsenal) and Cassidy (Watford) to name a few.

If everyone is fit they have real chance of going far and possibly even winning it. 
It’s one of the best age groups we have ever had in regard to such a wide range of talent. Many of them already playing first team foot all and majority of the others starring for their u23 sides. Still toying with the idea of going over to the finals in Armenia. Wonder will many go over?
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:26am
Outside of players family I can't see many heading to this. Flights are pricey enough but its also a c unt of a place to get to. All matches are at 3 different venues in Yerevan. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:27am
Flights about €500 when I looked a few weeks back.Accomodation is cheap and no travelling with all games in Yerevan.

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:41am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Flights about €500 when I looked a few weeks back.Accomodation is cheap and no travelling with all games in Yerevan.

Found a route out through Istanbul the day before the tournament starts landing in Tblisi for €150 and bus or train down is cheap then. Fancy hotel with pool and sauna in the room only €120 also for the week during the group stage. Planning on doing a bit of travelling around then so if I don’t get the group stage might get the later stages if we progress.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:55pm
Lee O'Connors about 5'5 never a centre half unkess he takes a massive stretch
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 3:29pm
Will Martin Oneill be back in charge also, 4 defensive midfielders!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

fast forward 5 years and this could be the Ireland starting 11 based on current potential and age of the current team

Caoimhin Kelleher

Matt Doherty 

Lee O'Connor

Ryan Nolan

Nathan Collins

Ryan Johansson

Josh Cullen 

Luca Connell

Conor Coventry

Troy Parrot

Michael Obafemi

Given some of young players coming though I'd  be surprised if these guys are getting in squad never mind first 11.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:57pm
No outstanding right back coming through really, so it wouldn't be that surprising to see Doherty there, nor Kelleher who seems a brilliant talent.
We're decent enough..
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

No outstanding right back coming through really, so it wouldn't be that surprising to see Doherty there, nor Kelleher who seems a brilliant talent.

Lee O'Connor? 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:26pm

We're talking 5 years. In the space of a year we've gone from Luca who?...to him being sought out by a host of.clubs and being on the verge of his senior debut. 5 years is an age.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:33pm
Yeap i wouldnt say an eleven but a whole squad of 25/30 playera around in 5 y time

Edited by Gerry Geary - 27 May 2019 at 5:34pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:06pm

O’Connor played RB for the U21s recently, and I can honesty see him playing that role long term, given his stature. Has a lot of ability wherever he ends up.

Future line ups are pretty much impossible to predict. I remember a 2012 line up with Conor Henderson and Conor Clifford. Given their profile at the time, who could have predicted the level to which their careers tailed off.

Even now, who could have predicted it would be Callum Robinson in green and not Grealish, Burke, or Drennan. Ten years ago, who would have expected James McClean or Wes Hoolahan to become our driving force and not Andy Reid, Graham Carey, Graham Barrett, John Joe O’Toole or a million others?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979899100101 329>
  Share Topic