Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 329>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

aaron connolly scores a hatrick v MK dons for brighton under 21s
Pity for him  he wasn't raised in London or got Nigerian parents or he'd be a shoo in to come off the bench against Denmark. As it is he doesn't even get picked for under-19 squad
Sponsored Links

McCarthyy21 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McCarthyy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Pity for him  he wasn't raised in London or got Nigerian parents or he'd be a shoo in to come off the bench against Denmark. As it is he doesn't even get picked for under-19 squad

Ah bit unfair there, I agree that Connolly should be in the underage set-up at the least and the previous 19's squad had a plethora of options up front with Parrott obviously being the golden boy, but the reason Obafemi is getting a call up has to be more than just the fact he may declare elsewhere, he is in the public eye and first team squads with Southampton a lot more than Connolly is with Brighton. MON values senior football a lot more than underage football, be it for better or worse.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:42pm
Scored 5 goals against league 1 and 2 opposition. Very good for a 19 year old. See Troy Parrott got more mins for the bench for Spurs 23s against League opposition tonight. 

Edited by JoxerDaly - 13 Nov 2018 at 10:44pm
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:49pm

Jesus Wept, you have 1 lad who is coming off the bench for a PL team away to Man City and another who is scoring goals in the reserve team. 1 lad is in the first team, 1 lad is no where near it. 

Clap

*** This Nigerian kid has a bag of goals for underage teams also Cool

Edited by kearney304 - 13 Nov 2018 at 10:50pm
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:53pm
Republic of Ireland Under-18 Squad

Goalkeepers: Sean Bohan (Bohemians), Kian Clarke (Shamrock Rovers)

Defenders: Luca Connell (Bolton Wanderers), Tom Gaston (Girondins de Bordeaux), Kameron Ledwidge (Southampton), Oisin McEntee (Newcastle United), Max Murphy (Stoke City), Ray O'Sullivan (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Reece Staunton (Bradford City),

Midfielders: Sean Brennan (Southampton), Barry Coffey (Celtic), Shane Flynn (Leicester City), Conor Grant (Sheffield Wednesday), Jason Knight (Derby County), Brian McManus (Preston North End), Callum Thompson (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Forwards: Jake Ellis (Bray Wanderers), Adam Idah (Norwich City), Tyriek Wright (Aston Villa)

Under-18 International Tournament Fixtures
15/11: Republic of Ireland v Belgium, Pinatar Arena, 2pm (1pm Irish time)
17/11: Republic of Ireland v England, Pinatar Arena, 2pm (1pm Irish time)
19/11: Republic of Ireland v Netherlands, Pinatar Arena, 1pm (12pm Irish time)

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Jesus Wept, you have 1 lad who is coming off the bench for a PL team away to Man City and another who is scoring goals in the reserve team. 1 lad is in the first team, 1 lad is no where near it. 

Clap

I think he's scored once for our underage teams, whereas Connolly has probably hit double figures, mind you that is helped by the fact he turns up to games. He also drastically outscores Obafemi at club level so there is every indication he will get further in the game. However he's Irish born and raised with Irish parents so he doesn't score the right political points to qualify for the YBIG formula of international worthiness.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:18pm

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Clap

I think he's scored once for our underage teams, whereas Connolly has probably hit double figures, mind you that is helped by the fact he turns up to games. He also drastically outscores Obafemi at club level so there is every indication he will get further in the game. However he's Irish born and raised with Irish parents so he doesn't score the right political points to qualify for the YBIG formula of international worthiness.

All of these younger prospects should have at the minimum trained with the senior team at certain points this season. Some should then have made squads depending on how ready they are. Some should then have played minutes in senior games for us in this past 12 months, again depending on how ready they are.

A few problems there. First the people with the job to judge whether these players are ready to be involved in the senior set up want nothing to do with inexperienced 'kids'. These people are hanging on to their job, so this was never going to happen.

The biggest problem obviously was the failure to put in place a new management team almost 12 months ago. If the FAI had done that, and had made it specifically clear that one of the main tasks was to blood young players in 2018, we would be in a very different place now. Instead incredible damage has been done to our setup this year and it could well take a very long time to recover from.

So we drive on. We let MON throw in the odd token young player in the past month or so and people say the squad is looking younger (even Tony Donoghue said as much on rte yesterday). It's an absolute f*cking cod.

We should be in a position going into the qualifiers where a handful or more younger players have a cap or 2 under their belts, a few more have made squads and trained regularly with the seniors, and a few more got the odd invite for a taste of senior training. Instead it's utter nonsense and token gestures left right and centre. We have never been in a worse state, and what an opportunity missed the past 12 months has been.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 12:24am
I'm struggling a bit with this process meself, let me see if I have it right; 

Step 1.
Young player 1 is identified as someone who might make a difference- born in Ireland
Young player 2 is identified as someone who might make a difference, but born in UK/outside Ireland
Young player 3 is identified as someone who isn't really any better than various other prospects, or what we have already, at least not just yet, but he qualifies for another nation. 

Step 2.
In all 3 cases, MON should chase the player. Talk to the player, his family, his club manager, the Irish underage management, the postman, the FAI, Gareth Southgate/Mick O'Neill to warn them off, whatever necessary. 

Step 3.
Players 2 & 3 are called up to squad for friendly. No, actually, that's not enough, didn't work with Rice, Grealish or Kelly, so now they have to be called up to the squad for a competitive game. Player 1 has the misfortune of not qualifying for anyone other than us, so he can go fcuk himself for the minute, he isn't important. 

Player 2 is undecided/not fully committed to us at the moment. This is the bit I'm not fully sure what happens next;
A-MON gives him more time
B-MON cuts him from squad completely & leaves it up to player to declare
C-MON caps him in a friendly, to ''give him a taste of it'' in the hope that the chap declares fully for us at a later point.  
Not sure of which of those 3 options MON is expected to take, or what the ybig consensus is. 

Player 3 is happy to declare for us, despite being maybe less of a prospect than player 1- lets say they are both CB's, because we have loads of them. 

Not sure what happens next in this scenario either. 

A- mindful of what happened when player 2 declined a competitive call up, this lad is called up and given 5 minutes somewhere. The bit that the computer managers forget- this has an effect on player 1 plus the usual squad reserve CB (say, for example Kevin Long) who become disillusioned with the manager and the process used to select the squad. This point will be completely dismissed on here, because nobody on here is actually in that situation of the omitted squad player or reserve CB, and in any case, ybig experts know more than all these lads anyway. 

B-Reasoning that we have enough CB's for the moment anyway, player 3 is omitted from squad. Some months later, he declares for D'North, as he wasn't as committed to us as we thought, or he told MON at the time. He is still no better than anything we have, but anyone like to guess the reaction on here in that scenario? 

If, at any point at all, any of those 3 players end up not playing for us, despite multiple factors such as ability, the market value in declaring for another country, club contract situations, genuine tough decision for player, agent influence, family influence, squad harmony, importance of game the player is selected for, personal relationship with Ireland management, personal relationship with other squad players, influence of club manager, influence of other international managers like Gareth & Mick all coming in to play- it is completely MON's fault & nobody elses if those players don't play for us. 

Don't really buy any of it to be honest. I'd be delighted if Obafemi plays for us V Denmark, but if he doesn't want to play, he can fcuk off, the same for anyone else in his situation. The one great theory behind all this is that lads can be either fooled or coerced into being capped for us too, and that's another one I don't believe in this day & age when teenagers are on 5 figure sums a week and have agents since they signed pro contracts. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 12:28am
Still very surprised that Connelly wasn't included in the u19 squad. He's been on fire all season in the underage league probably doing as well if not better than some of the other strikers. You would imagine if he continues he might get into a few Brighton 1st team squads before the end of the season.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 1:05am
Absolutely mad that Connolly can’t get into the 19s team.

Between himself, Idah, Parrott, Cassidy and hopefully Obafemi, we’ll surely get at least one good enough for the senior side. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 1:07am
I don't think for a second it's as complicated a situation as you make out Deise, even if obviously there will be lots of different situations with players who are new to our senior setup.

Starting with Obafemi : If MON had any sense that this player wasn't 100 percent committed to being involved in a competitive match for us, he should have had a chat with him a few weeks ago. The last and worst situation that can ever happen is us and our management team letting players sample senior international games, picking up  friendly caps, and then moving on to another country. If there is any chance of that with Obafemi, he should never have been included. Simple as that. A hard line should be drawn. You are 100 percent in or you are out.

Declan Rice : The minute he refused a call up his international career under MON should have been over imo. When did it become acceptable to refuse call ups to our senior squad? Btw I totally understand any dual players being torn between affinities to different countries. That does not excuse the absolute d*cking around that some of these lads do. They aren't 12. Rice is a lad old enough and big enough to hold off on a contract at West Ham worth multiples of his current salary. The time for these lads to make up their minds is when they receive a senior call up. In? Or out? From there MON or any future management team shouldn't have to hold anyones hand and beg them to commit long term to us.

Also, if Rice comes back (I'm presuming there's little to no chance of that), it makes the current management look weak then imo. Should the management then be grateful that Rice chose us and them? Should they be wary of dropping him in future as not to upset him (I know he couldn't move no matter how upset he ever got). The whole thing is a sh*tshow and totally undermines the management team. Such a situation sets a precedent for farcical stuff like this to happen in the future.

On my own post above, I think too many people are getting caught up in dual nationality players. What we should have been doing in the past 12 months is capping or involving all young prospects, dual or not. Our squad has needed a massive overhaul and this was the 12 months to do it. No major games, Nations League aside, which are meh (I would usually be highlighting how massive the importance of seeding is, but we are at a total crossroads where that should have taken a backseat to building a new squad imo). It should have been the start of a 2/3 year cycle where plenty of young faces were coming in alongside that core of our current squad - Coleman, Duffy, Brady etc. Instead we have a Hearts reserve GK picking up caps this year almost a decade on from picking one up previous. We are a total and utter mockery of a setup as things stand and I pity any manager coming in straight after MON.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 14 Nov 2018 at 1:13am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 2:05am
Fair points there & I'm not really suggesting that it is complicated, more so that we are headed for a path there will never be agreement on, no matter who the manager is. For every Rice (a now complex situation) you might get a Robinson (a straightforward situation). I'm not entirely sure a blanket policy is the answer either- Rice a good example- if he does actually declare for us (I don't think he will either)- we could have lost him by not giving him the time, same thing if Obafemi decides he wants some time as well. 

That wouldn't bother me too much, I still think a cap should be earned (for example, I think Obafemi is deserving of one, I'm not sure we have had a teenager make an appearance at the highest level since Robbie Keane, other than Rice, plus our striker situation is dire), I can see a justification for Kelleher (who's Irish in any case, but same would apply if he were English born) but not so much Jimmy Dunne, seeing as we have about 8 CB's between the EPL/EPL squads/Championship players to choose from, some like Egan or Lenihan who have been in squads a good while without much game time. 

My point is really that whatever action the manager takes, it will be criticised, and this will go beyond MON too. I'm not sure that this is correct, and I say that as someone who would like MON to go. Already lads are using this as a stick to beat him with- I don't know why they would need yet another one, there are already a surplus of sticks. 

If Rice were to change his mind, firstly -is that a credit to the manager for handling it properly and secondly, because if that approach were to work with Rice, is that then a justification for waiting on Obafemi another while should he not decide to play V Denmark ? And everyone after that ? 

Or is the Rice situation a one off ? I don't have the answer to that by the way, but I wouldn't be positive about going down that road whatsoever. Some lads would happily wait 5 years for Rice to make up his mind, some would have him gone forever already. I think every situation will be a little different depending on multiples of factors and it may be a bit too simplistic to blame the manager, whoever that may be, each & every time. 

Agreed on the other bits of your post, we are missing 2 things for decades now, youth & genuine pace, and MON should have recognised this and made it his business to go find these fellas this past year. But to properly implement that, and we all know this, we have the wrong manager- at heart he is a conservative manager who will go with the experienced player each & every time in a game he perceives to be tricky and/or important. 

Obafemi may well prove the exception to that rule, but mainly because our other striking options at the minute are so poor rather than signifying a whole new approach from MON. On the seedings/nations league, I fully agree, but a lot of the people doing the moaning about the lack of young players/new faces were the exact same people telling us how important this competition was, how important seedings are & how great the whole thing would be for us, which is more or less the approach MON took by conservative selections. 

As a result, we are neither this nor that- there has been no major rebuilding done, and all we have realised since is the fellas he did give a chance to, if we are being brutally honest, like Browne, Hourihane, Hogan etc have not impressed (not a single one of them) and barring dramatic improvement, are no solution to improvement. Meanwhile, an ordinary footballer like McClean remains the hero of the team and squad players like Meyler & Long are still hanging about despite falling behind even the ordinary lads he has called up and playing poorly when they did get a chance. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 2:08am
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 3:03am
I would agree with a lot of what you're saying Deise. The biggest issue simply is that by far the worst manager possible is still at the helm if we want any sort of rebuild of the squad to take place. There's no going back now, and I think we've missed a massive opportunity.

I don't blame MON essentially for issues around younger players being brought in. MON was never ever going to be the manager to bring together a young vibrant side in the next couple of years or more. It's just a situation that was never going to play out that way. Ever. The FAI are the crux of the problem here, and their failure to spot where we were as a senior team 12 months ago, and what was required, is a different level of incompetence. Even for an organization that the word was practically invented for. I really fear the ramifications of not removing the management then, will haunt us for years and years now.

There are other situations involving players coming in that are definitely on MON though. If there's a situation around someone like Obafemi where he is in the squad right now, but unwilling to commit to playing against Denmark or another competitive game in the near future, that is definitely on MON. If MON knew that in advance of Obafemi joining up with the squad, my take is that the player simply should not be in involved at all. All in. Or all out. Obviously that is just me reading between the lines, but listening to MON talk a couple of days ago it sounded like a situation where Obafemi wouldn't be asked to play against Denmark. Insane stuff if that is what's happening behind the scenes.

I think that a lot of people are getting their heads spinning over the dual stuff. Personally it's a simple issue for me. Players refusing call ups under current management should be left in the cold. There shouldn't be different scenarios for different players. If the likes of Rice, Kelly or anyone want to be involved after refusing a call up, it is on them to come and make a case to our management team to get back in. This wooing players for international football, like Southgate with Rice, is all a bit embarrassing imo. Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways, but for all the things that you could knock international football over, I didn't think we'd ever truly have silly season transfers non stop ala club football. Lads being capped with different countries at senior level, as many have been, it's embarrassing for the whole sport imo.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 14 Nov 2018 at 3:04am
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 10:47am
Took his goals very well last night did Connolly and should of had 4. Thats 5 very good goals against league 1 opposition last few months. Hopefully gets out on loan soon.
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 2:39pm
U18s ireland 1-1 Belgium
Half time
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Under 21 Squad

Gk Ian Lawlor 27 October 1994 (age 19) 2 0 England Manchester City

GK Justin Merz 27 September 1992 (age 21) 1 0 Germany Karlsruher SC

DF Mason Watkins-Clark 1 January 1995 (age 19) 2 1 England Stoke City

DF Jack Connors 24 October 1994 (age 19) 2 0 England Dagenham & Redbridge

DF Bradley Garmston 18 January 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England West Bromwich Albion

DF Shane Griffin 8 September 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England Reading

DF Pierce Sweeney 11 September 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England Reading

DF Sean Long 2 May 1995 (age 19) 1 0 England Reading

DF Tommie Hoban 24 January 1994 (age 20) 1 0 England Watford

DF Eoghan O'Connell 13 August 1995 (age 19) 0 0 Scotland Celtic

MF Jack Grealish 10 September 1995 (age 19) 6 1 England Aston Villa

MF Kenneth McEvoy 4 September 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England Peterborough United

MF Jack Byrne 24 April 1996 (age 18) 2 0 England Manchester City

MF Darragh Lenihan 16 March 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England Blackburn Rovers

FW Kieran Sadlier 14 September 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England West Ham United

FW Conor Wilkinson 23 January 1995 (age 19) 2 0 England Bolton Wanderers

FW Sam Byrne  23 July 1995 (age 19) 1 0 England Everton

Recent call ups

DF Kevin Feely 30 August 1992 (age 22) 1 0 Wales Newport County v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

DF Brian Lenihan 8 June 1994 (age 20) 1 0 England Hull City v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

DF Bradley Lewis 24 January 1995 (age 19) 1 0 England Aston Villa v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

MF Will Hayhurst 24 February 1994 (age 20) 3 0 England Preston North End v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

MF Luke Gallagher 29 July 1994 (age 20) 1 0 England Burnley v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

FW Michael Drennan 2 February 1994 (age 20) 2 0 England Aston Villa v.  Qatar, 24 May 2014

Under 19 Squad

1 Eric Grimes 4 February 1995 (age 19) England Leeds United 4 (0)

16 Shane Fagan 23 February 1995 (age 19) Republic of Ireland Shamrock Rovers 2 (0)

Defenders

4 Steven Smith 19 April 1994 (age 20) England Leicester City 3 (0)

5 Pierce Sweeney (c) 11 September 1994 (age 20) England Reading 5 (0)

2 Noe Baba 8 August 1996 (age 18) England Fulham 4 (0)

18 Sean Long 2 May 1995 (age 19) England Reading 0 (0)

15 Shane Griffin 8 September 1994 (age 20) England Reading 6 (0)

Evan Finnegan 5 August 1995 (age 19) Free Agent 3 (0)

Midfielders

11 Sean Kavanagh 20 January 1994 (age 20) England Fulham 0 (0)

13 Carel Tiofack 20 May 1994 (age 20) Spain Cádiz CF 1 (0)

10 Luke Gallagher 29 July 1994 (age 20) England Burnley 7 (0)

7 Kenneth McEvoy 4 September 1994 (age 20) England Tottenham Hotspur 0 (0)

3 Bradley Garmston 18 January 1994 (age 20) England West Bromwich Albion 8 (0)

6 Brandon Miele 28 August 1994 (age 20) England Newcastle United 6 (0)

17 Will Hayhurst 24 February 1994 (age 20) England Preston North End 1 (0)

14 Adam Evans 3 May 1994 (age 20) England Burnley 1 (0)

Forwards

8 Kieran Sadlier 14 September 1994 (age 20) England West Ham United 7 (1)

9 Sam Byrne 23 July 1995 (age 19) England Manchester United 5 (3)

12 Sean Maguire 1 May 1994 (age 20) England West Ham United 3 (0)

This is mad to look back on, so few made it 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 3:17pm
Now that Obafemi is sorted, who is the next panic?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 329>
  Share Topic