You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:14pm
Ali Reghba on trial with Middlesbrough and also apparently a target for Leeds

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 8:21pm
18 year old Glen McAuley scored his first goal for Liverpool u23s today in his first start in a good while. Hopefully can nail down a starting place with them and kick on.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:29am
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:34am
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:36am
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/casserly-bids-to-heal-fowler-rift-with-teen-s-matildas-future-in-balance

Dead link

fixed

It's not 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:35am
The relationship has reportedly taken a hit after the 15-year-old prodigy was made unavailable for the Matildas’ upcoming series against Chile, prompting coach Alen Stajcic to comment on the family’s “alternative lifestyle”.

The teenager’s father and adviser, Kevin Fowler, is said to have taken exception to the remarks as he masterminds his daughter’s career from the United Kingdom, where she opted to remain to train with Cristiano Ronaldo’s sprint coach and trial with various clubs, rather than return for the two-game series against Chile.

There are concerns the fallout could drive Fowler into the arms of the Republic of Ireland, who sister Ciara, 17, and brother Quivi, 19, have already represented at youth level.

Asked whether Stajcic’s comments had created a rift, Casserly replied: “I hope not ... he’s the coach who’s given her the opportunity in the Matildas and he’s the coach who thinks she has a big future, which by the looks of it could provide an opportunity for her to play at a senior World Cup.

“It’s very rare that somebody gets called into the Matildas and says ‘no thanks, I don’t want to come because I’m going to do something else’.

“But we have to be very understanding of the situation because she’s very young and we have to nurture that the right way.

“Whatever we do must be best for Mary and hopefully in the long term the best for us and the Matildas.”

Expressing his disappointment at not having the young forward available, Stajcic said: “They've (her family) have lived an alternative lifestyle - if you'd like to call it that - over the last couple of years and the father has a whole family he is trying to look after and protect and foster their growth on and off the field.

"Their family has trodden a unique path, and who are we to judge whether it's the right or wrong path?”

Despite making her senior international debut for Australia in last month's friendlies against France and England, Fowler is not irreversibly tied to Australia until she plays in an official FIFA tournament.

Cairns-raised Fowler has expressed a desire to play for Ireland, the birth place of her father, in line with her siblings.

However Casserly sees the Matildas as by far the best international option for a gifted youngster that the FFA has “already invested heavily in and believes in”.

“She’s only 15 and, rightly so, the family are very hands-on with her development,” he added.

“And at that moment they feel she has work to do in Europe and trialling with clubs is the priority.

“In terms of her international future, we believe the Matildas is the right place to give her the opportunity to be at World Cups and Olympic Games.

“And we certainly hope she will be a Matilda for many years to come.

“We feel it’s a no brainer in terms of what is offered to female players to play for the Matildas versus say somebody like Ireland.

“In that regard, I believe we are streets ahead. We qualify for World Cups, we qualify for Olympics so I think we have a lot more to offer.

“I think we are the place to be for her. We certainly hope she will end up with the Matildas but time will tell.”

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 9:26pm
In response to queries elsewhere, I thought this thread would be merited.

Highly rated left footed forward/attacking mid played initially for us underage and switched to England.  Turned contract at Arsenal down to move to Celtic after Brendan Rodgers targeted him.  Not too far off a first-team appearance for Celtic, possibly towards the end of this season or next Summer's pre-season friendlies.

Born and bred in Dublin, but moved from Kevin's Boys to Arsenal boys five years ago at age 11, so eligible for England under the five year residence rule (I think).  Was a key part of the Ireland u16 team that won the Victory Shield last time out.  Seems a cut above other players of his age-group.  

His Dad's a prominent community organiser, social-justice bod in Dublin for some time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Oko-Flex_Inya ;

Being born in Ireland, seems to have a greater affinity with Ireland, but seems aware that financial arrangements may be better with England apparently.  He's well set-up commercially with endorsements from Nike and a professional-looking twitter and instagram presence.  My guess from this and Okoflex's comments below is that, despite his young age, he has an experienced agent who is looking to monetise as much of his career as possible. 

Regarding his comments below on black players being integrated into the Irish team, aside from the likes of McGrath, Hughton, Phelan, Fleming etc successfully representing Ireland over 20 years ago at a time when there were extremely few black people in Ireland (and many more have been capped since), it seems this is likely to be powerfully addressed very soon with a whole host of players with African heritage breaking through at the same time (as demonstrated by the make-ups of most of our underage sides and Obafemi's elevation - the first of many).  

Okoflex would be one to be approached by senior management, to be included in a senior squad even for training purposes as Lee O'Connor, u18 captain, currently is. Would be a massive shame if we lost him permanently. 

On a similar note, there's a highly talented young winger at United from Mullingar, Sotona, in a similar boat to Okoflex, I understand, though it is Nigeria who are trying to prise him from our underage set-up.  Here's a vid of Sotona taking the mick for United's u16s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeabtsosxC8    However, under the 5 year rule he should soon/already be eligible for England. In light of how Southgate's England is reaching the net far and wide, expect him to be approached by the English FA soon.

Here's an extract of Okoflex's interview with the Irish Times in Aug 2017:

Armstrong Okoflex, who moved to the UK a few years ago to play with Arsenal, also feels a strong connection to his Irish home. Okoflex has played under-15 international soccer for both Ireland and England.

“Ireland is where I’m from but England is financially better and the grounds are amazing. I enjoy playing with both but obviously I’m Irish so I feel the connection with them.”

The son of Nigerian parents who moved to Ireland more than two decades ago, Okoflex says diversity is a vital component of building a successful soccer team. “Nigerian players born in Dublin should be given more opportunities to play with Ireland if they’re good enough. Diversity is very important in football. The best nations have a mixture, not just white or black players. This is what Ireland can improve on.”

Hopefully Okoflex can help Ireland improve on this front by making himself available for national selection....

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 12 Nov 2018 at 9:30pm
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:06pm
Nathan Collins Stoke City and last years 17s is the one to watch. Senior team centre half by 21.

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Highly rated left footed forward/attacking mid played initially for us underage and switched to England.  Turned contract at Arsenal down to move to Celtic after Brendan Rodgers targeted him.  Not too far off a first-team appearance for Celtic, possibly towards the end of this season or next Summer's pre-season friendlies.

Born and bred in Dublin, but moved from Kevin's Boys to Arsenal boys five years ago at age 11, so eligible for England under the five year residence rule (I think).  Was a key part of the Ireland u16 team that won the Victory Shield last time out.  Seems a cut above other players of his age-group.  

His Dad's a prominent community organiser, social-justice bod in Dublin for some time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Oko-Flex_Inya ;

Being born in Ireland, seems to have a greater affinity with Ireland, but seems aware that financial arrangements may be better with England apparently.  He's well set-up commercially with endorsements from Nike and a professional-looking twitter and instagram presence.  My guess from this and Okoflex's comments below is that, despite his young age, he has an experienced agent who is looking to monetise as much of his career as possible. 

Regarding his comments below on black players being integrated into the Irish team, aside from the likes of McGrath, Hughton, Phelan, Fleming etc successfully representing Ireland over 20 years ago at a time when there were extremely few black people in Ireland (and many more have been capped since), it seems this is likely to be powerfully addressed very soon with a whole host of players with African heritage breaking through at the same time (as demonstrated by the make-ups of most of our underage sides and Obafemi's elevation - the first of many).  

Okoflex would be one to be approached by senior management, to be included in a senior squad even for training purposes as Lee O'Connor, u18 captain, currently is. Would be a massive shame if we lost him permanently. 

On a similar note, there's a highly talented young winger at United from Mullingar, Sotona, in a similar boat to Okoflex, I understand, though it is Nigeria who are trying to prise him from our underage set-up.  Here's a vid of Sotona taking the mick for United's u16s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeabtsosxC8    However, under the 5 year rule he should soon/already be eligible for England. In light of how Southgate's England is reaching the net far and wide, expect him to be approached by the English FA soon.

Armstrong Okoflex, who moved to the UK a few years ago to play with Arsenal, also feels a strong connection to his Irish home. Okoflex has played under-15 international soccer for both Ireland and England.

“Ireland is where I’m from but England is financially better and the grounds are amazing. I enjoy playing with both but obviously I’m Irish so I feel the connection with them.”

The son of Nigerian parents who moved to Ireland more than two decades ago, Okoflex says diversity is a vital component of building a successful soccer team. “Nigerian players born in Dublin should be given more opportunities to play with Ireland if they’re good enough. Diversity is very important in football. The best nations have a mixture, not just white or black players. This is what Ireland can improve on.”

Hopefully Okoflex can help Ireland improve on this front by making himself available for national selection....

Its a bit worrying  Odubeko and Sontona havent been picked for any underage squads this year. They where involved last year. They have both moved over fairly young aswel. I thought there was a rule Irish players couldnt move to an English club before 16 but these Nigerian Irish lads seem to be doing it latley moving over at 12 13.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:57pm
Think they can sign if the whole family move over. That's less likely for players with Irish parents.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:06am
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

Nathan Collins Stoke City and last years 17s is the one to watch. Senior team centre half by 21.

Looked comfortable against the Dutch in that game. Wouldn't be making any bold claims yet though.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:14am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Think they can sign if the whole family move over. That's less likely for players with Irish parents.
thats exactly it.  The parents have no interest in a slower development by staying over here. They want a fast track to the bright lights
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 1:30pm
Missed this a couple of weeks ago, but Rory Hale has left Derry City to sign for Crusaders. Seems like a big step down for a player who was apparently looking to get back to England. Strange.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 3:14pm

LOL - He has a pic of himself in an England line up on his twitter header. Give it up. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 3:48pm
Under 18s squad announced for upcoming tournament in Spain. 

Some decent players involved, including Idah. 

The majority of the squad is made up of lads too old for the 17s but not yet good enough for the 19s. (there is a few of the 19s first teamers). 

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

LOL - He has a pic of himself in an England line up on his twitter header. Give it up. 

Declan Rice and Jack Grealish had pics of themselves in their Irish kit on their twitter recently too Banjo...  Confused
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 9:24pm
aaron connolly scores a hatrick v MK dons for brighton under 21s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 329>
  Share Topic