Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 11:20am
Originally posted by 085immersive 085immersive wrote:

Another good prospect at Spurs. Goes by the name Harry Kane. But he hasn't proved himself over a full season yet so let's not get our hopes up. From Galway direction my sources tell me
Your sources are wrong. He is from Chingford in North London.
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Until NI stop playing gstq then the majority of Catholic's will not feel comfortable supporting and playing for them. That the stadium is based in a hostile part of Belfast will never help either.
I am no supporter of the playing of GSTQ, but consider this.
How "comfortable" would an NI Prod feel supporting or playing for the ROI when you play The Soldier's Song?

As for your "hostile" part of Belfast comment, that is derisory and can only come from a state of complete ignorance. Perhaps you got it from Roy Keane's (first) Autobiography, when he described Windsor Park as being "in East Belfast"?

Meanwhile, thousands of Catholic Man U and Liverpool fans don't find WP too "hostile" to stop them attending when their team comes over to play friendlies.

But hey, why let mere facts and reason get in the way of your argument...

I don't ever remember Alan Kernaghan complaining.
Kernaghan was never given a choice.

"Choice" ironically being something which the FAI demands on behalf of certain players (Northern Catholics), but evidently denies to certain others (northern Prods).

This article pretty much sums it up.
http://playereligibilityinireland.blogspot.ie/
If you had even read the article you cited, you would see that the Author argues that not only may the FAI make the first approach, but also that they should.

NI have been 'poaching' players from Ireland for a long time, the most recent one being Alex Bruce.
At least try and get your facts right.

Alex Bruce is English, and he qualified for NI through his NI granny (from Bangor, Co.Down).

He also qualified for ROI and he chose you over NI.

Then when he was getting nowhere, he decided to switch to NI.

In other words, if the landowner clearly doesn't mind you taking the odd pheasant, it cannot be "poaching"...

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by 085immersive 085immersive wrote:

Another good prospect at Spurs. Goes by the name Harry Kane. But he hasn't proved himself over a full season yet so let's not get our hopes up. From Galway direction my sources tell me
Your sources are wrong. He is from Chingford in North London.
Chingford is in North East London.

In fact it is in Essex, whereas Tottenham is in Middlesex.

Either way, he ain't ever gonna represent ROI.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 4:31pm
Territoral - in what way exactly does the FAI 'deny' players from a Protestant background from representing the ROI? Total nonsense.

I accept they may well target players from a Catholic background more often, but to claim they 'deny' anyone born on this island from representing the national side is rubbish, let's be fair.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Territoral - in what way exactly does the FAI 'deny' players from a Protestant background from representing the ROI? Total nonsense.

I accept they may well target players from a Catholic background more often, but to claim they 'deny' anyone born on this island from representing the national side is rubbish, let's be fair.
Simple, really.

The FAI claims that they are open to all Irish players, north and south.

Yet they only ever approach NI players from the Catholic community, as evidenced by the fact that every single one of the NI-born players who have been selected/approached have been from that community.

If they were genuine about being "open to all", then they would approach players from the Prod community.

They don't.

It's a bit like the GAA's claim that they, too, are "open to all".

Yet Protestant GAA players in the six NI counties are scarcer than hens' teeth.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:19pm

Simple, really.

Yet they only ever approach NI players from the Catholic community, as evidenced by the fact that every single one of the NI-born players who have been selected/approached have been from that community.

If they were genuine about being "open to all", then they would approach players from the Prod community.

They don't.

Has a NI Protestant shown any interest to play for us? Don't think so. Would they play for us? Highly doubt it.
It's a working class game and in working class areas of the North you are either them un's or those un's, so why would the FAI waste their time knowing that some Mervin or Rupert from either east Belfast, the waterside or Cullybacky will say NOooo to us tatty munching free state Fenian papists.

Edited by drog addict - 25 Feb 2015 at 5:20pm
Chips don't bounce
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:26pm

Simple, really.

They don't.

You are using specious reasoning. I will assume you are correct about the religions background of Irish players as I simply don't know or care. But because there have only been players from the CNR community so far, you are taking a logical leap that this means that the FAI are operating in a sectarian fashion. Even if it is true, the intellectual gymnastics you have taken to get to this render your point invalid. You are looking at this through the 6 county pressure cooker prism. Not the 'no-one gives a shyte what religion you are' Dublin one.

But you are right, the Gah are bigoted backwards beasts. Comparing the FAI to them is shocking form.
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:30pm
Prods dont want to play for us Catholics do, thats a fact move along .
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:34pm

But because there have only been players from the CNR community so far, you are taking a logical leap that this means that the FAI are operating in a sectarian fashion. Even if it is true, the intellectual gymnastics you have taken to get to this render your point invalid. You are looking at this through the 6 county pressure cooker prism. Not the 'no-one gives a shyte what religion you are' Dublin one.

Nail on the head there I think RTID.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Simple, really.

They don't.

Has a NI Protestant shown any interest to play for us? Don't think so. Would they play for us? Highly doubt it.
It's a working class game and in working class areas of the North you are either them un's or those un's, so why would the FAI waste their time knowing that some Mervin or Rupert from either east Belfast, the waterside or Cullybacky will say NOooo to us tatty munching free state Fenian papists.
So when NI Catholics don't want to play for NI, that's the IFA's fault.

But when NI Prods don't want to play for the FAI, that's the Prods' fault?

That seems to be the implication of your stance.

I mean, you would doubtless claim that playing GSTQ deters NI Catholics from playing for NI.

Yet the Soldiers Song would equally deter NI Prods from playing for ROI.

Why don't you change that, so as to make it more likely that NI Prods might be interested in playing for you?

After all, you say you don't care whether your players are Prod, RC or whatever, so why aren't you doing all you can to attract the best players eligible, regardless of what foot they kick with? (sorry)

As for the fear of being turned down by NI Prods, you've been turned down by NI Catholics in the past, so you'd think you'd be used to it by now.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Rugby? Cricket? Hockey?

"North Men, South Men, Comrades All"
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 7:41pm

Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Simple, really.

They don't.

So when NI Catholics don't want to play for NI, that's the IFA's fault.

But when NI Prods don't want to play for the FAI, that's the Prods' fault?

Never said it was their fault, it's their decision.

That seems to be the implication of your stance.

No it's not.

I mean, you would doubtless claim that playing GSTQ deters NI Catholics from playing for NI.

It would be one issue, yes.

Yet the Soldiers Song would equally deter NI Prods from playing for ROI.

Yes.

Why don't you change that, so as to make it more likely that NI Prods might be interested in playing for you?

I can't change that, plus yis are sh*te anyway. Don't need ye.

After all, you say you don't care whether your players are Prod, RC or whatever, so why aren't you doing all you can to attract the best players eligible, regardless of what foot they kick with? (sorry)

We don't have that problem in nice Ireland.

As for the fear of being turned down by NI Prods, you've been turned down by NI Catholics in the past, so you'd think you'd be used to it by now.

Ye haven't produced a decent player since the 80's so I ain't too bothered at this stage.
Chips don't bounce
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 7:56pm

Simple, really.

They don't.

You are using specious reasoning. I will assume you are correct about the religions background of Irish players as I simply don't know or care. But because there have only been players from the CNR community so far, you are taking a logical leap that this means that the FAI are operating in a sectarian fashion. Even if it is true, the intellectual gymnastics you have taken to get to this render your point invalid. You are looking at this through the 6 county pressure cooker prism. Not the 'no-one gives a shyte what religion you are' Dublin one.

But you are right, the Gah are bigoted backwards beasts. Comparing the FAI to them is shocking form.
two of our finest county footballers are Protestant in Monaghan. Brought up on the border, played GAA all their lives and are excelling on the national scene. I played GAA with 'prods' as they are labelled on here in various posts, to me they were lads that played football on the same team, didn't matter a share where they spent an hour on a Sunday morning. In college up north, same story, lads from Banbridge, Hillsborough Lurgan, all Prods either played ( a few of them) or watched it (most of them)

Yes there are backward thinkers in the GAA, is there none in the football family?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:04pm
Sham, didn't one of them take sectarian abuse and the bigot get a token ban? And a couple of other incidents of racial and sectarian abuse fudged recently?

Football is light years ahead of the Gah on this front.

Long and short of it, not one PUL on any of the 12 county sides north of the border. It's a problem.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:09pm

Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Rugby? Cricket? Hockey?

"North Men, South Men, Comrades All"

Good man, you use an example of 3 teams where there is no Northern or Republic of Ireland, but simply IRELAND.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:11pm
Football is in no position to take the moral high ground here, just look at the paltry fines handed down to clubs/associations for racism recently enough.

Yes Drew Wylie took abuse. It was dealt with and a ban imposed to which the GAA themselves admitted was too lenient. The player who dished it out also personally contact him to apologise. That doesn't make it right btw nor should it diminish the punishment. Fact is every code has their bigots, their Neanderthals etc etc, not one can preach and by default, supporters of one cannot hold a moral high ground.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:24pm
When we can talk about the global GAA we can compare it to global football. We can't so we have to compare to Ireland. And they are miles behind
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:32pm
Compare it to local football so, plenty of examples recently. Even though GAA is played globally as you well know, test not to the scale of what you probably mean by Flobal, but the U.S., Australia, Asia etc etc all have their own GAA associations and they are global
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 329>
  Share Topic