You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 329>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 11:10am
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

[QUOTE=10 Box]

This fascination with 17yos playing senior football is beyond me. Is it really better for a lad to be getting minutes for Cork in the Irish 2nd Division rather than training at an academy with one of the biggest clubs in Europe? Heck sure Trant Kone Doherty should have jusy stayed at Derry. These lads are kids, learning the game. Dont see how one can proclaim Curtis, Ferizaj and O'Mahoney are now better prospects than Zefi or Doherty on foot of some game time in Ireland. Bizarre.

Agreed. Each young player is different and in some occasions it will help them to stay at their boyhood clubs but getting world class coaching at 17 years old is so valuable. Sure he is extremely unlikely to play for Milan but they are likely to have good links for loans or the reputation that he will get a decent move. I remember seeing about how highly rated Devoy and Burns were but now are both over 20 making little impact in a struggling league 1 side and they had lots of senior game time in the LoI.

To me O'Mahoney looks like a typical kid that was bigger than his peers so looks good in youth football due to this. He has a good ireland youth scoring record but until that translates to senior football I won't get too excited. Curtis and Ferizaj look decent but again haven't shown that they are anything much more than sqaud player in the LoI or the rumoured switches to big academies yet. We will see how all of them develop in the next few years.

Doing O Mahoney a serious disservice by saying he is better because he is "bigger" . Wouldn't imagine the Swedes yesterday were midgets. Zefi may get a loan eventually..to where though? Probably a third division team like Ryan Nolan. Devoy & Burns are playing plenty of minutes in their first season and would expect them to feature more as the season progresses.
Sponsored Links

Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Just the 4 goals for Zefi in his match for Inter the weekend which they won 4-3 yeah deffo overhyped. He obviously getting a rest as he only played 2 days ago.
i didnt see that. 4 goals in one game would suggest he is doing brilliant

he should definitely be getting a look in for us then.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Just the 4 goals for Zefi in his match for Inter the weekend which they won 4-3 yeah deffo overhyped. He obviously getting a rest as he only played 2 days ago.
i didnt see that. 4 goals in one game would suggest he is doing brilliant

he should definitely be getting a look in for us then.
Two more games in the next few days so will defo start one if not the two of them.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 12:30pm
Hopefully Vata sees minutes with Celtic on this tour. He's looked the best player at the 2005 age group when playing with us.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Hopefully Vata sees minutes with Celtic on this tour. He's looked the best player at the 2005 age group when playing with us.

I'm pretty sure he will, he seems to be the standout player in Celtic's youth structure, such as it is, this season. Lawal is on the tour also.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 1:17pm
Lawal will surely get minutes. He was in their first team squad photo that they done a couple of weeks ago.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 1:30pm
Jonny Kenny has gone back to Celtic from Queens Park.  Scored 0 goals for QP and only started 2 games.  Scored for Celtic B on Tuesday night in a Challenge Cup defeat.  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Jonny Kenny has gone back to Celtic from Queens Park.  Scored 0 goals for QP and only started 2 games.  Scored for Celtic B on Tuesday night in a Challenge Cup defeat.  

Rejecting Hibs killed his career.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 1:55pm
If he can't make it at QP, he's hardly going to make it at Hibs.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

So at this point we have players capped all the way up to the 2002 group (Parrott, Bazunu, Omobamidele).
I was wondering what player do people think will be the first of the 2003 group to get a senior cap?

I'm thinking Adaramola, given the age/injury profile at LWB - McClean (33), Stevens (32), Brady (30).

Other options maybe - Garcia MacNulty, O'Neill, Moran, Sinclair Armstrong, Emakhu, Kenny, John Joe Patrick Finn, Lawal, Roughan, Cristiano Fitzgerald, Zak Gilsenan

Obviously unlikely to happen now for a couple of years as the senior team has developed some depth in most areas, but it was just a thought I had.

I would make a LB favourite looking at the aging players we have in that position combined with the fact we have a few promising youngsters in this age group. Adaramola and Roughan look like fine prospects. Roughan looks like getting a regular run at Lincoln. Greenwood at Bournemouth another lad who played a cup game recently. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see a 2004 born prospect appear before a 03 one tbh the obvious one heing young Evan Ferguson. 

Going all the way back to this question I asked in September.
Looks like you'll be right Kevin. Ferguson highly likely to get minutes, vs Malta if not Norway.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:49pm

So at this point we have players capped all the way up to the 2002 group (Parrott, Bazunu, Omobamidele).
I was wondering what player do people think will be the first of the 2003 group to get a senior cap?

I'm thinking Adaramola, given the age/injury profile at LWB - McClean (33), Stevens (32), Brady (30).

Other options maybe - Garcia MacNulty, O'Neill, Moran, Sinclair Armstrong, Emakhu, Kenny, John Joe Patrick Finn, Lawal, Roughan, Cristiano Fitzgerald, Zak Gilsenan

Obviously unlikely to happen now for a couple of years as the senior team has developed some depth in most areas, but it was just a thought I had.

I would make a LB favourite looking at the aging players we have in that position combined with the fact we have a few promising youngsters in this age group. Adaramola and Roughan look like fine prospects. Roughan looks like getting a regular run at Lincoln. Greenwood at Bournemouth another lad who played a cup game recently. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see a 2004 born prospect appear before a 03 one tbh the obvious one heing young Evan Ferguson. 

Looks like you'll be right Kevin. Ferguson highly likely to get minutes, vs Malta if not Norway.

And he's not even close to being ready!!!
Idah Dream!
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 9:51pm

To be fair I'd rather give him the experience than suffer the torture of sitting watching Callum Robinson for 90 minutes.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

To be fair I'd rather give him the experience than suffer the torture of sitting watching Callum Robinson for 90 minutes.

Robinson was by a distance the best attacking player Ireland had on the pitch (it wasnt a high bar admittedly). What we needed to look at was a midfielder, not another overhyped far from ready attacker = we have enough of those already. We have a few decent defenders, we have a few ok attackers who can cause teams problems, but what we dont have is a midfield who can get the ball to them. It was much more important to have a look at Smallbone (or Brady or O'Dowda or f**king anybody) in midfield tonight, than to build up the hype around another youngster! 
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 10:04pm

Nice to see him in and around the squad! Kid is a fine prospect but is realistically a long way off making the squad when everyone’s fit! 
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 9:14am
Wales have been throwing them in at no age to get them experience, it has helped them no end, we should not be afraid to do the same thing.  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 10:03am

Wales have been throwing them in at no age to get them experience, it has helped them no end, we should not be afraid to do the same thing.  

I'd agree with this. Having watched this group of players for the last few years, I can't help but think it's the most limited batch we've had in the past 20 years. The upside with the young lads is exciting and I'd rather give them minutes and blood the likes of Hodge, Smallbone, Moran, Ferguson etc than go with the 28 - 31 year old who realistically won't get us out of the group. In saying that the counter would be to just look at the front page of this thread - I remember when we had Lawlor, Byrne, Grealish in our under 21 with a good bunch of 22 - 24 year olds in McCarthy,  Hendrick, Brady and the future looked very bright. It didn't work out 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Dunne23 Dunne23 wrote:

I'd agree with this. Having watched this group of players for the last few years, I can't help but think it's the most limited batch we've had in the past 20 years. The upside with the young lads is exciting and I'd rather give them minutes and blood the likes of Hodge, Smallbone, Moran, Ferguson etc than go with the 28 - 31 year old who realistically won't get us out of the group. In saying that the counter would be to just look at the front page of this thread - I remember when we had Lawlor, Byrne, Grealish in our under 21 with a good bunch of 22 - 24 year olds in McCarthy,  Hendrick, Brady and the future looked very bright. It didn't work out 

We also said the same thing 2 or 3 years ago with the likes of Idah, Connoly, Parrott, Collins, Bazunu, Omo etc. and that hasnt really gotten us too far along. Patience is required and will be for a while yet.
Idah Dream!
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 2:35pm

the most disappointing thing about kenny is that we are still seeing the same old failed pros like brady and hendrick. 

these lads need to be permanently retired and we need to go with youth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 329>
  Share Topic