You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 280281282283284 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

The statistical reality is that the England women's football team has the precise number of players from BAME backgrounds that you would expect, given numbers in the population.

3 of the 23 player squad are "non-white". (i.e.: 13.04%).

About 13% of the UK population are from ethnic minority backgrounds. 

Therefore, BAME players are represented in precisely the numbers one would expect from a purely demographic or proportional perspective. 

By that same token, BAME players are massively over-represented (in England and Ireland and many countries besides) from a purely demographic or proportional perspective. 

The figures would not suggest a lack of equality of opportunity against BAME players.  In men's football, non BAME players are proportionately over-represented, if anything and in women's football in England at least, the figures appear precisely as one would expect from a statistical perspective. 

In context of the actual figures, it raises the question as to why the prevailing narrative is one of "discrimination", "lack of equality of opportunity" and "lack of diversity".

Source: This are the figures relied upon by BBC Sport in this recent article on women's football.  See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62009679 ;

Finally, wearing green-tinted glasses, isn't England's general tolerance/welcoming of immigration impressive to see when the assist for the equaliser was provided by a Keira Walsh, and the winner was scored by a Chloe Kelly?

Not unlike the men's Euro 2022 team of Kane, Grealish, Rice, Philips etc.  

One gets the impression that they don't really care who you are or where you or your ancestors are from - it's just a question of are you the best person for the job.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 01 Aug 2022 at 2:39pm
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

I'd have to disagree with you there oshea, using the England women's team as an example, only a few years ago they had more players in the first team from a minority background. Are you suggesting that some opportunities were taken away from these players this year? Please explain how that happened?

On your second point, 50% of the men's team being black is equal opportunity despite being <2% of the population? I'm not sure I follow that logic... how can you suggest its not merit? 

Your point of proactively targeting engagement towards minority groups is spot on. We shouldn't be targeting skin colour or ethnicity at all. We should targeting people from underprivileged backgrounds, yes, even if they're white indigenous people. 

How you can say some underprivileged people should be prioritised over other underprivileged people is a astonishing admission.

50% of the Irish team being black/mixed race despite them not making up 50% of the country's population indicates that being a black/mixed race man is not a barrier to entry into Irish mens football - it indicates that there is, at the least, an equality of opportunity here for black/mixed race men to rise to the top if they are indeed the best players available. That is a good thing.

No one is "targeting skin colour", but your approach intends to try and ignore it entirely. It is exactly the same approach used by the "all lives matter"/"not all men"/etc movements and at its heart it is an entirely dishonest tactic of attempting to discredit the issues faced by certain groups in society through whataboutery and distraction. By refusing to acknowledge an issue, you doom it to continue indefinitely. That is oppressive, not progressive.

To use your example that focusing on encouraging involvement among ethnic minority females somehow ignores other underprivileged groups, you first have to ask if these other underprivileged groups are facing the same representational issues as females from ethnic minorities. In the cases of Irish and British football, it is blindingly obvious that that they do not - in fact a disproportionate number of our countries players over the years have come from working class, urban areas. So your argument is a complete false equivalence - underprivileged areas need more help with a lot of things, but access into playing sport is not one of them.
[/QUOTE]
We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 4:49pm
Training sqaud for the U19s was named. Ronan Maher called into the training squad and must be the first squad Luke Pearce has been for awhile. Few LOI players and Zefi also called in.

Goalkeepers: Reece Byrne (Bohemians), Jacob Cowler (Luton Town), Noah Jauny (Stades Brestois), Owen Mason (Mansfield Town)

Defenders: Samuel Aladesanusi (Kerry FC), Billy Brooks (Lincoln City), John Clarke (Reading), Darragh Dunne (St. Patrick’s Athletic), James Golding (Oxford United), Liam McAlinney (Leicester City), Harry Nevin (Preston North End), Aaron O’Reilly (Aston Villa), Justin Osagie (Celtic), John Ryan (UCD), Harvey Warren (Waterford), Eric Yoro (Bolton Wanderers)

Midfielders: Frankie Dean (Burnley), Daniel Idiakhoa (Luton Town), Ronan Arjun Maher (Walsall), Mikey McCullagh (Galway United), Ed McJannett (Luton Town), James McManus (Bohemians), Harry Vaughan (Oldham Athletic),

Forwards: Tommy Lonergan (UCD), Matthew McCarrick (Athlone Town), Dara McGuinness (Stoke City), Jamie Mullins (Bohemians), Mark O’Mahony (Cork City), Luke Pearce (Southampton), Kevin Zefi (Inter Milan)
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 5:43pm
Zefi bumped from the 17's again.
Some new names there also.

Mullins at Bohs is touted to leave when he turns 18 in September, with Brighton said to be circling.  Hope they have him under contract.
Maher made his senior debut already in L2.

Some attacking options there between Pearce, Mullins, O'Mahony and then Zefi.

Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Mullins at Bohs is touted to leave when he turns 18 in September, with Brighton said to be circling.  Hope they have him under contract.

Brighton seems to have a good network of scouts in ireland and go in for the premium young lads coming though such as ferguson and moran 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

Brighton seems to have a good network of scouts in ireland and go in for the premium young lads coming though such as ferguson and moran 

John Morling might be the answer you are looking for. He was academy manager at Brighton before allegedly being sacked for a COVID breach.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 6:06pm

Zefi would be overage for the U17s this season. The U19s play their qualifiers end of September so don't know whether they'll get have a couple of friendlies before the qualifiers.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 6:30pm
Daragh Dunne was with Cherry Orchards “B” team all the way up. Absolutely delighted for him. Hard work will get you thereClap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

The statistical reality is that the England women's football team has the precise number of players from BAME backgrounds that you would expect, given numbers in the population.

3 of the 23 player squad are "non-white". (i.e.: 13.04%).

About 13% of the UK population are from ethnic minority backgrounds. 

Therefore, BAME players are represented in precisely the numbers one would expect from a purely demographic or proportional perspective. 

By that same token, BAME players are massively over-represented (in England and Ireland and many countries besides) from a purely demographic or proportional perspective. 

The figures would not suggest a lack of equality of opportunity against BAME players.  In men's football, non BAME players are proportionately over-represented, if anything and in women's football in England at least, the figures appear precisely as one would expect from a statistical perspective. 

In context of the actual figures, it raises the question as to why the prevailing narrative is one of "discrimination", "lack of equality of opportunity" and "lack of diversity".

Source: This are the figures relied upon by BBC Sport in this recent article on women's football.  See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62009679 ;

Using entire population statistics is a bit disingenuous. The older generation would tend to be much less multicultural than the generation that is actually being picked.

Either way I would argue that you're not the right person and this is not the right place to declare that there's no problem and everything is fine.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Training sqaud for the U19s was named. Ronan Maher called into the training squad and must be the first squad Luke Pearce has been for awhile. Few LOI players and Zefi also called in.

Goalkeepers: Reece Byrne (Bohemians), Jacob Cowler (Luton Town), Noah Jauny (Stades Brestois), Owen Mason (Mansfield Town)

Defenders: Samuel Aladesanusi (Kerry FC), Billy Brooks (Lincoln City), John Clarke (Reading), Darragh Dunne (St. Patrick’s Athletic), James Golding (Oxford United), Liam McAlinney (Leicester City), Harry Nevin (Preston North End), Aaron O’Reilly (Aston Villa), Justin Osagie (Celtic), John Ryan (UCD), Harvey Warren (Waterford), Eric Yoro (Bolton Wanderers)

Midfielders: Frankie Dean (Burnley), Daniel Idiakhoa (Luton Town), Ronan Arjun Maher (Walsall), Mikey McCullagh (Galway United), Ed McJannett (Luton Town), James McManus (Bohemians), Harry Vaughan (Oldham Athletic),

Forwards: Tommy Lonergan (UCD), Matthew McCarrick (Athlone Town), Dara McGuinness (Stoke City), Jamie Mullins (Bohemians), Mark O’Mahony (Cork City), Luke Pearce (Southampton), Kevin Zefi (Inter Milan)

Osagie is an interesting one, just signed for Celtic from West Ham and the only references online are to him being eleigible for England and Nigeria. I'm not sure whether his situation is similar to Shodipo and Obafemi or if he has an Irish parent.
We're decent enough..
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 9:29am
My two favourite Irish prospects. The English WNT and HH's denial of racism existing.

Always the same few derailing every thread.

Edited by KingKenny - 02 Aug 2022 at 10:30am
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

it’s notable also how few of the womens underage teams have anyone of Eastern European/African descent. 

I'd like to add comment to this without turning it into a race debate or anything other than what it is. A general wondering. In Ireland, in particular there are very few young girls of African descent playing football. From nurserys, to school girl teams, to underage and senior internationals. I would be involved to an extent as my daughter has been playing for years and is involved with underage international set up too so I have seen it myslef. There are a handful of these girls playing in comparison to the boys who when you look at underage LOI teams, top schoolboy clubs and senior are very well represented. 

Why is this I often wonder? Is it a cultural or religious thing like the movie Bend it like Beckham touched on? Why do these families not allow girls the same opportunities as their brothers. Genuine question throwing it out there if anyone has any insight. 
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 4:22pm
Not sure if it's legit, but I see Ryan Johansson being linked with a loan move to La Liga side Cadiz FC.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Not sure if it's legit, but I see Ryan Johansson being linked with a loan move to La Liga side Cadiz FC.

The only source I see any mention of this is from a 4 day old fan made Cadiz twitter account with less than a dozen tweets.  I'd take it with a whole silo of salt.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 7:29pm
haven't heard the name in awhile but wonder if shane flynn from leicester will go on loan at some point/leave for first team football? i know he was academy player of the year 2020/21 season and signed a new contract but seems like he has never figured for their first team after making the bench a few times back then. saw hes featured a bit in preseason, turns 21 in october, loan move seems like the right answer 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 7:35pm
Flynn seemed to go backwards badly last year. Stopped getting picked in Leicester squads, lost his place in the Ireland Under 21 setup. Could be one that just falls away unless he can turn things around fairly quickly.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 10:57pm
Didn't an injury wipe most of last season for him after making the bench for EL games the season before   ? 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Didn't an injury wipe most of last season for him after making the bench for EL games the season before   ? 

No. He was involved with Leicester's Under 23s throughout last season, so no significant injury. He just wasn't being picked for the Leicester senior squad. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 280281282283284 329>
  Share Topic