You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 7:52am
I see Deji Sotona is being linked with a host of clubs including Chelsea, Spurs & Celtic.
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 7:58am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Anytime I seen him play this season I thought he has looked very neat and tidy on the ball, looking to pick pases, bring teammates into the game etc. but he lacks that something.
Maybe its the burst of pace or some ruthlessness?

I don't know and he's young so plenty of scope to be realised yet.
I like his work-ethic which will carry him a long way, and he has skills.  

What I'd worry about is I don't know what his best position is, in our senior setup.
Can he be the lone striker or one of the wide men?

Has look lost to me when played wide, needs to play centrally imo. Dont think he's even close to ready to doing that job for Ireland yet, but hopefully he and/or Idah will get there in time as I feel Callum is best suited to a freeish role off either flank rather than right up top.

He looks more like an old school number 10 who will do well in a front 2. Hard to see where he fits in a 433 as he doesn’t look like a target man number 9 or a pressing modern no. 10 at the tip of the midfield 
El Puto Amo
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:26am
being realistic at this stage we would be more than happy with an attacker who could give you 25 goals in their Ireland Career and if someone could arrive on the scene at the same time and contribute another 15 goals.

Robinson looks likely to get around 15 and Duffy chips in regularly as well.

Going back we had walters and McClean chip in after Robbie left.

The bar isn’t overly high to ask a young forward to chip in over 12 to 13 years to  reach the 25 mark over a career.
We seem to have some potential so hopefully things will change in the next few years.

And if we can’t find someone of at least this standard we will be looking at more dark days in the future.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

I see Deji Sotona is being linked with a host of clubs including Chelsea, Spurs & Celtic.

They all have the look of clubs where he would disappear off into the under 23/reserve setup and never be seen again. Effectively be used to help with the development of other better players.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Benhur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:06pm
Wonder would crystal palace be an option with Vieira there.. I'd prefer him there than at chelsea or spurs 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 10:15pm
Whats the story with Sotona? He's listed in the reserve team, Nice II, that play in N3 which is the 5th tier of French football but he doesn't seem to get his game. As in never even named on the bench.

From what I can tell hes not been involved with their u19s either.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 11:30am
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Gabriel Adebambo. Put respect on his name.

What age are you, anyway? 'Put some respect on his name' is the sort of bs you might expect to see from 12yo kids on Twitter ffs. LOLEmbarrassed
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

What age are you, anyway? 'Put some respect on his name' is the sort of bs you might expect to see from 12yo kids on Twitter ffs. LOLEmbarrassed

I was being flippant.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 3:48pm

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

I was being flippant.
Fair enough Thumbs Up
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 11:51am
Rumour seems to be that Johnny Kenny has decided to sign for Celtic. Presumably to join their B squad in the Scottish Lowland League. You'd wonder who is advising these lads. Swapping the League of Ireland Premier Division for the fifth tier of Scottish football and a club with a very poor track record of bringing through young players is not a good career decision.

Not confirmed though, just widely rumoured at this stage.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 11:59am
Terrible move. Why our lads keep going to Celtic I have no idea. He'd be better off staying with Sligo than going over there, Hibs would've been a better move as he would at least presumably be training with the first team. 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Terrible move. Why our lads keep going to Celtic I have no idea. He'd be better off staying with Sligo than going over there, Hibs would've been a better move as he would at least presumably be training with the first team. 
Looks like money is maybe ahead of career progression in some of these decisions,
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Rumour seems to be that Johnny Kenny has decided to sign for Celtic. Presumably to join their B squad in the Scottish Lowland League. You'd wonder who is advising these lads. Swapping the League of Ireland Premier Division for the fifth tier of Scottish football and a club with a very poor track record of bringing through young players is not a good career decision.

Not confirmed though, just widely rumoured at this stage.

Alternatively, if he is good enough, he will play in the 1st team like Scales.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 12:23pm
yeah havent seen Scales playing in the low land league as many posters told us he would be when he signed...in fact pretty sure have seen him play european and league matches for Celtic.

Scales, and Kenny if he does go there, are not arriving to Celtic with zero senior appearances and after being released from their clubs like many of the other irish signings did.  Apples and Oranges.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

yeah havent seen Scales playing in the low land league as many posters told us he would be when he signed...in fact pretty sure have seen him play european and league matches for Celtic.

Scales, and Kenny if he does go there, are not arriving to Celtic with zero senior appearances and after being released from their clubs like many of the other irish signings did.  Apples and Oranges.
You’ve a point about the senior appearances, maybe the lad is confident enough. Just thought he might have got more chances at Hibs.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 12:46pm
I doubt it’s a Postecogelu signing. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 329>
  Share Topic