You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 250251252253254 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 8:28pm
Another Evan Ferguson goal this time against Man City U23s from a James Furlong cross, 2 very good prospects.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 11:04pm
Furlong should be near ready for a loan by now. Can't see him getting a look in at Brighton in the short term, barring some exceptional Covid situation in his position.
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Furlong should be near ready for a loan by now. Can't see him getting a look in at Brighton in the short term, barring some exceptional Covid situation in his position.

Does he ever get selected for our underage teams? Never seems to be mentioned in terms of u-21s
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Loc Loc wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Does he ever get selected for our underage teams? Never seems to be mentioned in terms of u-21s

Hasn't really played since the U17 Euros in 2019. Mazeed Ogungbo and Lewis Richards were the two LBs for the U19s later that year and then Covid hit.

Surprised he doesn't get mentioned as LB isn't a position we're blessed in. At one stage we were sticking Will Ferry in at LB. He's underage again for the U21s in the next campaign but will have Tayo Adaramola and Sean Roughan to contend with.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 3:28pm
Furlong (and some of the other 2002 group) have been a bit unlucky with the underage age groups in terms of Covid. By the time the age groups came back he was overage for everything except under 21, yet he's still underage for both this under 21 campaign and the next one.

He hasn't had a look in with the under 21s yet. Realistically he would probably need to go out and play senior football to get a shot. Bagan is a definite pick at left back and then there's maybe just one more place available for the rest to battle over.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2021 at 6:34pm
Hat trick for Kievin Zefi today playing for Inter Milan U17 team. The lad only turns 17 next Feb. We might have a star in the making here!!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2021 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Hat trick for Kievin Zefi today playing for Inter Milan U17 team. The lad only turns 17 next Feb. We might have a star in the making here!!

Good stuff. But we've seen this before with pretty much all our young attacking prospects. Let's hold fire til he starts playing senior football before we start getting too excited.
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2021 at 7:03pm
Two goals for 19 year old Dara Costelloe as Burnley under 23s beat Middlesbrough today.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Good stuff. But we've seen this before with pretty much all our young attacking prospects. Let's hold fire til he starts playing senior football before we start getting too excited.

Ahh he's an exciting prospect no doubt that's obvious. We have a number of them at the moment Ferguson Zefi Vata and the Idahs Parrotts etc while haven't taken football by storm are still promising in their own right. 

It's long odds on we will have a much better batch of attacking players to choose from in 6/7 years time then we do now with all these lads. That's a promising sign. A "star" so to speak coming along amongst the lot of them is a bonus.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 8:56am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Ahh he's an exciting prospect no doubt that's obvious. We have a number of them at the moment Ferguson Zefi Vata and the Idahs Parrotts etc while haven't taken football by storm are still promising in their own right. 

It's long odds on we will have a much better batch of attacking players to choose from in 6/7 years time then we do now with all these lads. That's a promising sign. A "star" so to speak coming along amongst the lot of them is a bonus.

I don’t think parrott will make it. I like the look of idah with Ireland over last 18 months but until he’s playing regular first team football at any level, it’s hard to see if he’ll kick on. I suspect we might be seeing a championship forward long term.

I love the clips I’ve been seeing of Ferguson. If he has his head screwed on, we’ll hopefully have another premier league player long term.

It’s not just about talent with these lads. If they don’t have the right attitude, they’re not going to make it long term for us (likes of parrott and Connolly undoubtedly have talent but it doesn’t look like either will make it at the top level)
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 9:29am
To be fair to Parrott, every manager who he has worked with - Millwall, Ipswich, MK Dons etc has praised his work ethic. I still have hope for him because of that.

Connolly clearly has the ability but there are obviously off the field issues with him.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 11:15am
If Parrott doesn't make it, it will be down to his athletic weaknesses more so than his attitude. He always seems to work hard whenever I've seen him play.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

If Parrott doesn't make it, it will be down to his athletic weaknesses more so than his attitude. He always seems to work hard whenever I've seen him play.

Didn't mourinhio question him off the field. Good point re the athletic weakness though - but I still think its a bit more than that 

Or maybe he's just not as talented as we all think!!

Edited by Wheelo - 21 Dec 2021 at 12:31pm
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Didn't mourinhio question him off the field. Good point re the athletic weakness though - but I still think its a bit more than that 

Only 19yo yet, he was probably overhyped as a 17yo through no fault of his own. He has time on his side and is making reasonable progress, but I'd still have Connolly and Idah ahead of him at this point in their respective careers. It's difficult to see him making a breakthrough at Spurs though, so he/his agent might have to re-think things in the summer. Remains a decent prospect for me, but unlikely to live up to the initial hype.
Idah Dream!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 1:44pm
Anytime I seen him play this season I thought he has looked very neat and tidy on the ball, looking to pick pases, bring teammates into the game etc. but he lacks that something.
Maybe its the burst of pace or some ruthlessness?

I don't know and he's young so plenty of scope to be realised yet.
I like his work-ethic which will carry him a long way, and he has skills.  

What I'd worry about is I don't know what his best position is, in our senior setup.
Can he be the lone striker or one of the wide men?

Edited by Fozz - 21 Dec 2021 at 1:45pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Mourinho questions every player to cover up for his own weaknesses. He's defending himself never playing youth players. I wouldn't take anything he says about a player as gospel.

I think Parrott can be a good player just maybe needs to tough up a bit, he still looks like a boy amongst men. Young strikers who break through at an early age tend to be the pacy types, if they aren't that then they need to develop other parts of their game to be effective whereas natural pace is useful for any attacking player even if they can't do much else.

Edited by SC92 - 21 Dec 2021 at 2:24pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 2:38pm
Why is his physicality being questioned? Bit strange..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Anytime I seen him play this season I thought he has looked very neat and tidy on the ball, looking to pick pases, bring teammates into the game etc. but he lacks that something.
Maybe its the burst of pace or some ruthlessness?

I don't know and he's young so plenty of scope to be realised yet.
I like his work-ethic which will carry him a long way, and he has skills.  

What I'd worry about is I don't know what his best position is, in our senior setup.
Can he be the lone striker or one of the wide men?

Has look lost to me when played wide, needs to play centrally imo. Dont think he's even close to ready to doing that job for Ireland yet, but hopefully he and/or Idah will get there in time as I feel Callum is best suited to a freeish role off either flank rather than right up top.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 250251252253254 329>
  Share Topic