You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 247248249250251 329>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 1:09pm
Good win for the Under 18 team against Malta today, beat them 7-1. Strange turnaround from Tuesday where we only drew 0-0 against them. We made a lot of changes and got a far better result.
Sponsored Links

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 2:49pm
Eiran Cashin on the bench for Derby today after they'd a few positive Covid tests.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Eiran Cashin on the bench for Derby today after they'd a few positive Covid tests.

Got on in injury time.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:37pm
Sinclair Armstrong scored again for Torquay today. 3 goals in 7 now. Getting valuable minutes playing men's football in the National League. Only turned 18 looks another potential attacking prospect.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Sinclair Armstrong scored again for Torquay today. 3 goals in 7 now. Getting valuable minutes playing men's football in the National League. Only turned 18 looks another potential attacking prospect.

Went down as an own goal.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 11:29pm
https://twitter.com/paulnealon90/status/1470893664851398668?t=yTz-OURmuOKk52Q2QeH8Jw&s=19

Johnny Kenny was at the Hibs game tonight. Darragh Burns also linked with a Scottish club. McGrath and Scales have set a precedent tbh I was hoping would get set Scottish clubs all over young LOI talent. Good for the League to develop this potential springboard. 

I hope to god Kenny doesn't go to Celtic Hibs touchwood will be his destination. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

https://twitter.com/paulnealon90/status/1470893664851398668?t=yTz-OURmuOKk52Q2QeH8Jw&s=19

Johnny Kenny was at the Hibs game tonight. Darragh Burns also linked with a Scottish club. McGrath and Scales have set a precedent tbh I was hoping would get set Scottish clubs all over young LOI talent. Good for the League to develop this potential springboard. 

I hope to god Kenny doesn't go to Celtic Hibs touchwood will be his destination. 

Just after touching wood.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 11:58pm
Encouraging that he was at Easter Road tonight. Maybe the penny is finally dropping with young Irish players in terms of the lack of a pathway to the first team at Celtic. Go to Hibs - training facilities there are on a par with Celtic's - play first team games for a few years in a very decent 20,000 seater stadium, and if he's good enough he'll get a move to Glasgow or to England in time.

Edited by You Tell Me - 14 Dec 2021 at 11:59pm
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 12:15am
Yeah, if he went to Celtic he'd go straight into their youth system and would never be heard from again. Should steer well clear.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 5:14am
At least Sligo will get a fee after he recently signed a long-term deal. A lesson for all other LoI clubs.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 11:40am
I hoped that Kenny would stay another season at Sligo Rovers.
He really came into form in the second half of last season especially  when he finished school and his exams he started being a full time player.
He is still only 18 so maybe another full seasons experience playing senior football, hopefully at the top end of the table as well as playing in Europe rather than playing a a youth team or being a bit part player on the bench. Another year older and wiser and if he kicks on next year with a good season he probably will have more options and a better wages.
McGarth and Scales both went over to Scotland aged 22 or 23. Tierney just gone over to Motherwell at 20. So there is no rush on him.
A bit of a bias opinion being a Sligo Rover supporter. He would easily get near 20 goal contibutions next season for us if not more if he stayed next season and stayed injury free.

Edited by darman28 - 15 Dec 2021 at 12:24pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 11:51am

Rumor's that Darragh Burns might be on his way to Scotland also. Obviously as a Pats supporter, I would be sad to see him go but even aside from that, I think it's too early. One more year in LOI starting week in week out would do his development the world of good. He is still quite a slight build and I'm not convinced he would see much first team game time in the UK just yet. 
El Puto Amo
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I hoped that he would stay another season at Sligo Rovers.
He really came into form in the second half of last season especially  when he finished school and his exams he started being a full time player.
He is still only 18 so maybe another full seasons experience playing senior football, hopefully at the top end of the table as well as playing in Europe rather than playing a a youth team or being a bit part player on the bench. Another year older and wiser and if he kicks on next year with a good season he probably will have more options and a better wages.
McGarth and Scales borh went over to Scotland aged 22 or 23. Tierney just gone over to Motherwell at 20. So there is no rush on him.
A bit of a bias opinion being a Sligo Rover supporter. He would easily get near 20 goal contibutions next season for us if not more if he stayed next season and stayed injury free.

Agree with this. No rush unless Hibs or whoever are planning on putting him straight into their first team squad. If injury free he could be involved in over 40 games for Sligo next season including European matches. Leaving Sligo now to play reserve team football in Scotland would be a step backwards in his development.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Rumor's that Darragh Burns might be on his way to Scotland also. Obviously as a Pats supporter, I would be sad to see him go but even aside from that, I think it's too early. One more year in LOI starting week in week out would do his development the world of good. He is still quite a slight build and I'm not convinced he would see much first team game time in the UK just yet. 

Would agree with that, he is definitely a bit away from 1st team football over there yet. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I hoped that he would stay another season at Sligo Rovers.
McGarth and Scales borh went over to Scotland aged 22 or 23. Tierney just gone over to Motherwell at 20. So there is no rush on him.

Agree with this. No rush unless Hibs or whoever are planning on putting him straight into their first team squad. If injury free he could be involved in over 40 games for Sligo next season including European matches. Leaving Sligo now to play reserve team football in Scotland would be a step backwards in his development.

Tbf I wouldn't think Kenny would be going into Hibs reserve team he would be going into their 1st team squad. They have a light squad as it is and a couple of their attackers are aging. He would be ready for Hibs 1st team squad. Celtics I don't think any of them would go in would be just Celtic doing a Celtic stockpiling cause they can.

I'd agree in that I'd love to see him stay at Sligo one more year personally
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 1:11pm
If Hibs are paying €150k for him he'll definitely be going into the first team squad. Probably not the starting team, but he could expect first team involvement in 2022.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 1:12pm
I know there is a sense that Sligo shouldnt stand in the way of a player looking to move abroad to a bigger club, but if the quoted figure of €150k is correct, then from a business perspective surely they can turn this down. Kenny scoring goals and giving them a successful season next year in the LOI and Europe is surely worth that money.
Can the club stand strong and so no to a transfer until they get a figure which very much reflects the value of the player
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I know there is a sense that Sligo shouldnt stand in the way of a player looking to move abroad to a bigger club, but if the quoted figure of €150k is correct, then from a business perspective surely they can turn this down. Kenny scoring goals and giving them a successful season next year in the LOI and Europe is surely worth that money.
Can the club stand strong and so no to a transfer until they get a figure which very much reflects the value of the player

Your a 100% correct on the 150k figure being cheap. I suspect Sligo will be looking to sort a deal where let's say they are getting 10-15% of any sell on fee so if Hibs sell the lad for €2/3m let's say in 3/4 years time which as a young attacker he would sell for that at least if he progresses to where I think he will they will see that as a long term investment. 

Sligo might have the next star youngster in the pipeline too this where you would hope clubs will start developing a conveyor belt of talent where the Sligos can start producing and selling a Kenny or two every 2/3 years even.

Ultimately we will get these young lads selling for more and more once the reputation and quality improves which it will now with all our talented youngsters staying here. We also need something like a lucrative TV deal let's say that would broadcast 3/4 games a week. The lack of LOI coverage is galling. 

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Dec 2021 at 1:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 247248249250251 329>
  Share Topic