Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 208209210211212 329>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 12:06pm
comparing a 12 or 13 year old moving to a country and declaring for that country at 18 or 19 is far different than professional
Players who are men moving to say Munster and living there for 3 years and then getting loads of caps and being a hero and then moving home when retired.   To say it’s the same is crazy.  Too
Many posters seemed hurt by these rumours which is comical.  

If a kid moved to Ireland at 13 and declared for Ireland we would welcome them with open arms and rightfully so.  

AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

comparing a 12 or 13 year old moving to a country and declaring for that country at 18 or 19 is far different than professional
Players who are men moving to say Munster and living there for 3 years and then getting loads of caps and being a hero and then moving home when retired.   To say it’s the same is crazy.  Too
Many posters seemed hurt by these rumours which is comical.  

If a kid moved to Ireland at 13 and declared for Ireland we would welcome them with open arms and rightfully so.  

I hear what your saying. I was honestly thinking morally bankrupt more so in terms of picking England over Nigeria than Ireland. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

But we're constantly being told by the media that people born in Ireland are just as Irish as the rest of us. I'm sorry but signing up for a country like England who have a history of slavery with Ireland and Africa is a kick in the face towards the goodwill most immigrant families have received.

Absolute zero loyalty to his actual country. All about the money. As someone else said if he declared for his parents Nigeria I'd be disappointed but I'd totally understand. If he declares for England it's a gutter move. 

The slavery line LOLLOLLOL

Those damn English, inventing slavery.

Edited by The Huntacha - 12 Apr 2021 at 12:15pm
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

But we're constantly being told by the media that people born in Ireland are just as Irish as the rest of us. I'm sorry but signing up for a country like England who have a history of slavery with Ireland and Africa is a kick in the face towards the goodwill most immigrant families have received.

Absolute zero loyalty to his actual country. All about the money. As someone else said if he declared for his parents Nigeria I'd be disappointed but I'd totally understand. If he declares for England it's a gutter move. 

I am not sure you get the concept that nationality is something like sexuality is something the person feels themselves.   There are many people boring outside of Ireland who feel Irish and are Irish and there are others with the similar family heritage who don’t feel Irish at all.  The same for people born here too so me or you as strangers do not have any right passing judgment on how someone feels about their nationality.  Just because he is born here doesn’t mean he is compelled to feel he is 100% Irish and has to play for Ireland.  If he feels he has grown up in England and that’s the country he loves so be it.  We have gained far more from having played born outside Ireland playing for us than we have lost to players born here and playing elsewhere.  That may change over the next while and we have to be mature about it as Scotland lost players to us as did England in the 80s and 90s. 
Spot on. 

Never fails to amaze me how idiots think they’re the lord of nationalities and get to decide what people are and aren’t. 
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 1:00pm
No way he moved at 12/13. I saw him play for Crumlin and he then went on to join Joeys. 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

If we're going to compare like with like to a certain extent, then the question is really have we ever lost a player to England, or to any other country for that matter, when that player was born here and spent the first 10-15 years of their lives here?

Eamon Zayed(Libya) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89amon_Zayed
Roberto Lopes(Cape Verde) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Lopes_(footballer,_born_1992)

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 12 Apr 2021 at 1:03pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

No way he moved at 12/13. I saw him play for Crumlin and he then went on to join Joeys. 
He moved over in the summer of 2015, he was 12. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 1:47pm
I appreciate that modern thinking is that you are whatever you say you are and that can change whenever your feelings change. which is what it is.

As an example - someone feels irish today and their football career is looking great, they then chat on the phone with Southgate and then suddenly start feeling more English in their hearts.

But a person born in ireland and grew up there, with a heritage and family history backdrop in Nigeria and Nigerian culture feels more English that Nigerian and Irish... I'm not saying its impossible and not genuine but let's not pretend that this is 100% always geniune when it happens.

Edited by Left foot - 12 Apr 2021 at 1:52pm
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

If we're going to compare like with like to a certain extent, then the question is really have we ever lost a player to England, or to any other country for that matter, when that player was born here and spent the first 10-15 years of their lives here?

Roberto Lopes(Cape Verde) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Lopes_(footballer,_born_1992)

Good research but just to clarify, I meant players that we want to play for us. Players that refuse a call up to play for another country.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

How do you know this?
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 3:53pm
Was with St Josephs boys just for 2014-15 season, last played for them in the cup final May. Had a trial at Man City before that and was with them start of following season 2015 before moving to Man U later that season. So anyway would have been 12 when he moved across.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 4:38pm

How do you know this?
I know academy coaches at City and United. He moved over in2015 and was with City for a short while before switching to United. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 4:48pm

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Good research but just to clarify, I meant players that we want to play for us. Players that refuse a call up to play for another country.

Okoflex went to England at one point didn't he? He's back now though. Other than that I can't think of any. Neither Lopes or Zayed were getting a look in with us, I'm sure Zayed would have played for us if he was good enough, probably Lopes too.

Obviously there are examples in other sports - Bracken and McGinty in rugby, Joyce and Morgan in cricket, Sinead Diver in athletics even.

But that's as much a legacy of our monocultural history as anything to be honest. It's become a very different country in the last 20 years. That's a good thing, but it will have an impact in terms of Irish raised players playing for other countries.

Edited by You Tell Me - 12 Apr 2021 at 4:49pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 5:27pm
Interesting info here on Joe Hodge. Looks like he’s back in Manchester getting treatment on his back. He wasn’t injured at Derry but the physio noted a back issue that should be looked at before he started playing. At least how it’s told here, you have to say fair play to Derry for putting the player first:

According to the timelines here, guessing he’ll be back soon

Edited by DeclanDaly - 12 Apr 2021 at 5:27pm
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 5:28pm

How do you know this?
I know academy coaches at City and United. He moved over in2015 and was with City for a short while before switching to United. 
Years must be catching up with me. Fairly sure I saw him play 11v11 over here
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 6:48pm
The lad dropped out of the 21s squad as predicted by a few and is now in the 'considering his options' phase of development if you ask me.
The talk of injury was nonsense as he played before and directly after the window.

All the rumours, and they are just that, is that he's being advised by external parties.
Have to remember he is just 18 and could be getting told he could win a WC with England or whatever.
We can all accept he won't win anything with Ireland bar a few matches (how great would that be!).

Now the big thing is that he has shown nothing to suggest he'd be capped by England at senior level any time soon.
We see lads tearing it u in PL2 all the time and it more often than not amounts to fool's gold.

However, he does admittedly look very good...
It's a shame really but as has been stated above, this is a sign of our changing country and will happen again and again.
We will gain and lose players this way and have to accept their decisions and move on.

And maybe all the rumours are just that, and he was indeed pulled from the 21's by WH and will be in the Summer camp along with JJPF and all will be looking bright.
Maybe.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

The slavery line LOLLOLLOL

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/exposed-the-fortunes-of-irish-slave-owners-nrxrg8x0ncl

https://irishamericancivilwar.com/2014/02/23/in-bondage-to-the-irish-slave-ownership-among-irish-confederate-officers/

"And if. You know. Your history..."

Wink
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:45pm
Like a few posters above I don't agree with the comparison to rugby. That is a true shambles. South African mercenaries arriving in Ireland playing for us 3 years later. I presume these rules were created so the likes of England and New Zealand could raid the best talent from around the world. It is an elitest sport after all.

Might as well rename teams "World XV selection based out of X, Y or Z".

But yes we will continue to see our talent drained by young lads moving to English clubs. Now obvious true Irish won't chose to represent England a few years later but despite what the woke crowd say obviously some people are more Irish then others.

Our national side is currently dog water and it frustrates me as a fan to see this unfold. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 208209210211212 329>
  Share Topic