You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Seems to me that over the course of this season there's been a few of the younger lads have had their progress either stall or even go backwards.

Masterson was getting games for QPR last year and has now dropped down a league.

Obafemi seems to either injured or dropped for Southampton. 

Idah has been injured but even before that was only seeing a few minutes with Norwich

Molumby just starting to get games with Preston but would have been about 20 games in with millwall last season 

Connolly seems very prone to injury and struggles to play conservative games.

A mixed bag this season I think, but the big disappointment has been our forward players, only Scully seems to have improved this year.

In terms of the goalies Kelleher and Bazunu have both progressed and Travers has started very well in his loan spell.

O'Shea and Collins have done really well in defence, McNamara also. McGuinness doing well for his age. O'Connor has been disappointing though and Manning has struggled for game time. Masterson has had a bad start at Swindon also.

Knight has obviously been excellent in midfield, Cullen has settled in well at Anderlecht, Molumby now getting games at Preston and Taylor has been outstanding for Peterborough. The likes of Connell and Coventry have stalled a bit and Smallbone's injury is a big blow for him.

The big problems have been up front, Parrott poor on loan, Idah and Connolly struggling for fitness and game time, Obafemi out of favour and then injured at Southampton, Afolabi has been disappointing in Scotland. Cassidy not impressing at Accrington either and Elbouzedi having similar problems at Lincoln and now on loan at Bolton. Only Scully has done well, Kayode also but that's in League 2. Maybe Odubeko can make an impression at West Ham in the next few months.

If even one of our young forwards could kick on in the next few months it would make a huge difference I think.

Edited by You Tell Me - 30 Jan 2021 at 8:58pm
Sponsored Links

Tribesman91 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribesman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 9:00pm

[/QUOTE]

How could he be Conservative if he's way out on the left?
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 9:44pm

Seems to me that over the course of this season there's been a few of the younger lads have had their progress either stall or even go backwards.

Masterson was getting games for QPR last year and has now dropped down a league.

Idah has been injured but even before that was only seeing a few minutes with Norwich

Molumby just starting to get games with Preston but would have been about 20 games in with millwall last season 

Collins, O'Shea, Knight, Kelleher... Why pick out all the lads who haven't progressed? Plenty have. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

A mixed bag this season I think, but the big disappointment has been our forward players, only Scully seems to have improved this year.

In terms of the goalies Kelleher and Bazunu have both progressed and Travers has started very well in his loan spell.

O'Shea and Collins have done really well in defence, McNamara also. McGuinness doing well for his age. O'Connor has been disappointing though and Manning has struggled for game time. Masterson has had a bad start at Swindon also.

Knight has obviously been excellent in midfield, Cullen has settled in well at Anderlecht, Molumby now getting games at Preston and Taylor has been outstanding for Peterborough. The likes of Connell and Coventry have stalled a bit and Smallbone's injury is a big blow for him.

The big problems have been up front, Parrott poor on loan, Idah and Connolly struggling for fitness and game time, Obafemi out of favour and then injured at Southampton, Afolabi has been disappointing in Scotland. Cassidy not impressing at Accrington either and Elbouzedi having similar problems at Lincoln and now on loan at Bolton. Only Scully has done well, Kayode also but that's in League 2. Maybe Odubeko can make an impression at West Ham in the next few months.

If even one of our young forwards could kick on in the next few months it would make a huge difference I think.

You must watch some amount of football that you can speak so assertively and convincingly about the performances of Taylor, O'Connor, Masterson, Scully, Kayode and Cassidy and they all playing in League One and Two. Incredible really. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

With young players your going to get mixed bags and setbacks and dissapointments thats the reality of it. Bar Cullen the lads mentioned and many others range from 18-21. These lads are learning their trade and it’s not going to be all smooth sailing. 

The likes of let’s say Kelleher Collins and Knight could be League 1 players in 7 years time and Smallbone Cassidy and Parrott 3 lads who it have been in and out of teams this year and had injuries etc could be playing for top clubs. 

If you told me McNamara for example would play 30-35 games at St Johnstone and went back to Millwall to establish himself in their 18 if nothing else next season I’d have said progress. He’s already back there in there first 11 and looking more comfortable the higher level he plays at. Hes flying up the ranks. You just don’t know. 

Now I don’t think for a second that will be the case for Kelleher Knight and Collins think they will be 3 top flight footballers but just making a point you never know who it goes it’s football. 

Who would have thought 3/4 years ago that Matt Doherty would be playing for a top 6 club? You are a fair judge if you did think it. 👀

Edited by kevin100 - 31 Jan 2021 at 12:25am
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 7:17pm
Not underage but unsure where to post...Ogbene suffered a setback in his long recovery, which is a shame:

https://www.the42.ie/ogbene-rotherham-knee-surgery-5224749-Oct2020/

After doing so well in L1 and getting promoted he has had no chance to show what he can do in the Championship and the wait continues, with every chance Rotherham go straight back down.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 7:42pm
19 year old Will Ferry making the Southampton bench on a regular basis. Now that Long has moved on he may continue to make progress 

On a side note St Mirren has 5 irish players on the pitch at the same time. Is that the most outside of LOI? 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:03pm
Would Rochdale have more? 😂
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:08pm
Its only taken Scully 6 mins to notch up another assist for Lincoln.

On current form, he's Irelands best forward. Will be really good to see how he gets on in the championship if they get promoted
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:12pm
Swindon Town get a clean sheet with Travers and Masterson in goal and defence. 

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:42pm

On current form, he's Irelands best forward. Will be really good to see how he gets on in the championship if they get promoted

That's a ridiculous statement to say "on current form, he's Irelands best forward." He's playing in League One. I'm sure plenty of our other forwards at Premiership or Championship level could find a bit of form in League One. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 8:53pm
Shodipo scores again for Oxford tonight. This is one loan that has been going really well for the player.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

That's a ridiculous statement to say "on current form, he's Irelands best forward." He's playing in League One. I'm sure plenty of our other forwards at Premiership or Championship level could find a bit of form in League One. 

So who is Ireland's best forwatd on form? 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:27pm
Probably James Collins.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:52pm
Collins form lately is actually poor, one match aside. The only player performing to a decent level in the two relevant divisions has decided he no longer wishes to play for us. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:05pm

I put that 10 goals and 7 assists for him this year from 29 games. It’s impressive he didn’t play from the start the weekend and let’s just say the reaction from Lincoln fans on Twitter they were nonplussed about it. 

Brennan Johnson a Welsh lad is there also has 7 goals and 6 assists in 25 games on loan from Nott Forest. He got a Welsh cap in a friendly against the US recently. 

Just gives you context Wales have far better attacking options then we do. He isn’t a million miles off a squad place at least. Would love to see Lincoln go up just for his sake he looks like he may already be ready for the Championship. 

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Feb 2021 at 11:06pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 3:43pm
17 yr old Sinclair Armstrong is reported to have agreed a new contract with QPR despite interest from Manchester City, Celtic and Crystal Palace.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 4:32pm

Lee O'Connor winning some high praise for his defensive midfield display the other day.

I wonder if that the position he plays going forward. We look ok in terms of future full backs at the minute. Would be good to have another midfielder coming through though.

Still can't keep thinking Celtic was a mistake for him.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 329>
  Share Topic