You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 185186187188189 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Odubeko looks a talent. Given how close he is to the first team at an EPL club, I think he is borderline needing his own thread.

Video of him on YouTube knocking in all different types of goals. Seems to know where the net is and he is a big unit so hopefully more adaptable to senior football. 

Anyone have a line on why he really hasn't featured for Ireland under age ?

There hasn't been a whole lot of underage the last year. He had a hamstring injury at one stage too I read. Might be a factor.
He is born and raised here so I would hope there is no issue on his commitment to us

I know he has played but he was banging goals in for Utd and West Ham while games did happen and he wasn't selected in any teams over the last like 2 years. He is very very close to senior football like. Far closer and likely far more talented than Cassidy and a couple of others. very exciting player. Hope we manage the situation right.
Sponsored Links

EireHammer1 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EireHammer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:15pm
Given West Ham's inability to find a decent centre forward (Antonio not original a CF) and Antonio's hamstrings being so injury prone Odubeko could get a few appearances this season. Hopefully as said above he has no commitment issues to us. 
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:23pm

Odubeko looks a talent. Given how close he is to the first team at an EPL club, I think he is borderline needing his own thread.

Video of him on YouTube knocking in all different types of goals. Seems to know where the net is and he is a big unit so hopefully more adaptable to senior football. 

Anyone have a line on why he really hasn't featured for Ireland under age ?

There hasn't been a whole lot of underage the last year. He had a hamstring injury at one stage too I read. Might be a factor.
He is born and raised here so I would hope there is no issue on his commitment to us

I know he has played but he was banging goals in for Utd and West Ham while games did happen and he wasn't selected in any teams over the last like 2 years. He is very very close to senior football like. Far closer and likely far more talented than Cassidy and a couple of others. very exciting player. Hope we manage the situation right.

It’s at times like this that we could do with Noel King’s expertise and charisma to convince Odubeko.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:36pm
We are very proactive when it comes to sourcing and capping dual-eligible players across all age groups. For all Noel King's myriad faults, he stocked up on English-born players who weren't nearly as good as Odubeko just because they happened to be eligible for us. We're very aggressive in that regard. I just cannot envision a scenario where a player as highly rated as Odubeko would've been left out in favour of other players - even if we have an abundance of highly rated forwards across the age groups.

I'm curious as to what other ways the situation can be managed aside from simply calling up the players? Call up a player who has never made a senior appearance directly into the senior squad?

That's not to make any inferences about what Odubeko's thinking BTW. But if he's inclined to represent England, and is good enough, IDK how that can possibly be counteracted TBH.

Hopefully he feels Irish and wants to play for us but the fact we're even having this conversation is a bit worrying. His situation is similar to Armstrong Okoflex and he accepted a call-up quite readily for England, while his father was noncommittal about his son representing us: https://www.balls.ie/football/irish-players-tug-of-war-406280
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Zefi close to joining internazionale.

Id be getting him involved now for the 21s
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 12:11am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

He's way underdeveloped for that age-group, only turning 16 next month.
Kenny has always talked about fast-tracking the best talent through the age-groups but 17's is fine for this lad for this year and let him develop.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 12:16am
I think zizu is saying this guy will have options and let's give him the better ones.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 12:58am
Thankfully Zefi's only option is Albania I think. With Odubeko I think England and def Nigeria are possibilities. 

On another note Evan Ferguson made his Brighton under 23's debut a couple of days ago.
I thought that deal had fallen through but turns out his mother is English. Another one we have to worry about (This one is doubtful but I did laugh when I red that)
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 2:15am
How is Odubeko eligible for England?? Born and raised in Ireland to Nigerian parents??

Would it not be hidious to not play for either Ireland or Nigeria? 

As for Evan Ferguson born and raised in Ireland so I doubt we have anything to worry about there.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 2:18am

Thankfully Zefi's only option is Albania I think. With Odubeko I think England and def Nigeria are possibilities. 

On another note Evan Ferguson made his Brighton under 23's debut a couple of days ago.
I thought that deal had fallen through but turns out his mother is English. Another one we have to worry about (This one is doubtful but I did laugh when I red that)

He'll have an Italian option in four years no   ?  
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 2:19am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

How is Odubeko eligible for England?? Born and raised in Ireland to Nigerian parents??

Would it not be hidious to not play for either Ireland or Nigeria? 

As for Evan Ferguson born and raised in Ireland so I doubt we have anything to worry about there.

Lived there since he was 12. 
I think he'll turn down a call up to us. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 2:21am
Zefis parents are moving to Italy with him and Albania’s proximity to Italy would make it a slight cause for concern perhaps.

Would be fascinated to see will he be in our underage squads for the foreseeable future.

Edited by kevin100 - 20 Jan 2021 at 2:21am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:05am

Evan Ferguson, are you for real?? 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:39am
Lads generally play for the countries they have grown up in.
People talk about parents etc. but teenagers are mostly influenced by peers.

We have seen this work out this way more often than not.
The exceptions being when they are not good enough for that country and so they go play for a lesser nation they are eligible for.
Or have been involved with that other nation the whole time.

Zefi is very much an Irish kid so I see no issues, in the rare outcome that he converts youth form to senior level (most don't...read back though this thread for many examples).

Odubeko is much closer to International football and there are no reasons to think he'll play for anyone bar Ireland so far if he even gets that far.

10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

He's way underdeveloped for that age-group, only turning 16 next month.
Kenny has always talked about fast-tracking the best talent through the age-groups but 17's is fine for this lad for this year and let him develop.

He was playing senior football last season - if he is good enough there should be no issues with him being picked for the 21's.
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I'm curious as to what other ways the situation can be managed aside from simply calling up the players? Call up a player who has never made a senior appearance directly into the senior squad?
Yes. Why not? 

Wales and the north have both done it recently and Wales has easily been stronger than us. Our squad is sh*te, I don’t know why people think we’re above calling up youth players when better sides are doing it. USA does it, Canada does it. Basically every non-top side does it. 

Ethan Ampadu was eligible for us and his bloody dad even played for us. Wales had him in at 16. Wales have secured several very talented dual nationals by getting them in at 16-17 and showing them a setup with a good pathway for them. They offered something the likes of England couldn’t offer. Why are we not doing the same? 

Instead we’ve been handing debuts to 30 year olds and slowly integrating 25 years and calling them young. Our handling of it has been a joke. 

Create an enticing set up that makes young talented players invested in it and wanting to play in it. We need to help them as much as they are helping us. Just doing nothing and saying well if he feels Irish he’ll play for us isn’t how it works. And is exactly why we’ve lost the best talents and our set up is complete sh*t. 

Choose the biggest talents and get them up the age groups. Say Joe Hodge or whoever you deem worthy, England is offering him his age group. So all we do is the same? No, create an actual plan for him, show him the progression we’re offering is better for his career. Show them we care more about them. Give them a reason to feel connected to Ireland. Wales have done it and it’s worked tremendously. 

Someone like Hodge or Kelleher or others, are at top clubs. Clubs that are about 100x better than Ireland. So why do we need to wait for them to play for City and Liverpool before getting them into the senior squad? Wales called up Levitt, the North has called up Galbraith on the back of PL u23s matches. Manchester United is far better than Wales or the North so it’d be stupid to require them to be in the first team. 

If we’ve got a lad killing it in the PL u23s, get them into the senior squad. Get them integrated early. It’ll benefit us in the long run and it’ll benefit the player too. Getting exposure of a senior international cap at a young age and a good performance suddenly has better prospects on their door. Better loan offers or more first team football at a parent club. 
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:11am
is Parrott that much further on in his development, or have more potential than Odudeko? Troy got a senior cap when he was on the bench for Spurs, this kid is making the bench for West Ham, and seems like a great prospect but hasnt featured even for the 21s

whatever way you look at it is very strange, and its pretty uncomfortable to think about but if he was white and born to Irish parents there is no doubt things would be a lot different.

Edited by mully_85 - 20 Jan 2021 at 10:13am
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:12am
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Yes. Why not? 

Wales and the north have both done it recently and Wales has easily been stronger than us. Our squad is sh*te, I don’t know why people think we’re above calling up youth players when better sides are doing it. USA does it, Canada does it. Basically every non-top side does it. 

Ethan Ampadu was eligible for us and his bloody dad even played for us. Wales had him in at 16. Wales have secured several very talented dual nationals by getting them in at 16-17 and showing them a setup with a good pathway for them. They offered something the likes of England couldn’t offer. Why are we not doing the same? 

Instead we’ve been handing debuts to 30 year olds and slowly integrating 25 years and calling them young. Our handling of it has been a joke. 

Create an enticing set up that makes young talented players invested in it and wanting to play in it. We need to help them as much as they are helping us. Just doing nothing and saying well if he feels Irish he’ll play for us isn’t how it works. And is exactly why we’ve lost the best talents and our set up is complete sh*t. 

Choose the biggest talents and get them up the age groups. Say Joe Hodge or whoever you deem worthy, England is offering him his age group. So all we do is the same? No, create an actual plan for him, show him the progression we’re offering is better for his career. Show them we care more about them. Give them a reason to feel connected to Ireland. Wales have done it and it’s worked tremendously. 

Someone like Hodge or Kelleher or others, are at top clubs. Clubs that are about 100x better than Ireland. So why do we need to wait for them to play for City and Liverpool before getting them into the senior squad? Wales called up Levitt, the North has called up Galbraith on the back of PL u23s matches. Manchester United is far better than Wales or the North so it’d be stupid to require them to be in the first team. 

If we’ve got a lad killing it in the PL u23s, get them into the senior squad. Get them integrated early. It’ll benefit us in the long run and it’ll benefit the player too. Getting exposure of a senior international cap at a young age and a good performance suddenly has better prospects on their door. Better loan offers or more first team football at a parent club. 

brilliant post... right on the moneyClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 185186187188189 329>
  Share Topic