You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 2:27pm
Thanks guys, good information.

He wasn't a player I was aware of.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 2:36pm
We might have to fast track players to the seniors so that we can accommodate the talent coming through.

Feel that we need Joe Hodge in the u21 sooner rather than later. If this Lewis Richards is any good it would be good to add him too

Edited by Left foot - 09 Aug 2020 at 2:37pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:45pm
21's play a friendly in the International break in Sept so Hodge should be in there for sure.
This assumes Molumby will be in the seniors.

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 9:39pm
Hopefully we are at the end of the gross mismanagement we had with previous Management teams when we somehow lost Rice and even Grealish. As a poster said here in the last few days every squad should have 2 of the best dual nationality young players in it and put eligibility to bed early with a couple of mins at end of games if necessary. We have too small a player pool to lose out on any more potentially great players... I’m really excited as it is with the quality of player we have coming through and we have to tie down the likes of hodge and smallbone etc to compliment the squad. I’m expecting Idah especially to be potentially huge for us..

Edited by Liam Green - 09 Aug 2020 at 9:40pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 12:53am
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Hopefully we are at the end of the gross mismanagement we had with previous Management teams when we somehow lost Rice and even Grealish. As a poster said here in the last few days every squad should have 2 of the best dual nationality young players in it and put eligibility to bed early with a couple of mins at end of games if necessary. We have too small a player pool to lose out on any more potentially great players... I’m really excited as it is with the quality of player we have coming through and we have to tie down the likes of hodge and smallbone etc to compliment the squad. I’m expecting Idah especially to be potentially huge for us..

So people want Hodge, Smallbone, Ferry, Coventry, Cullen, Richards, Scully and probably Caden McLoughlin tied down in the upcoming Nations League games in case we lose them to England, on the off chance that they are good enough to play for England. Am I missing anyone?

Never mind that Stephen Kenny has already said Smallbone will be linking up with the U21s, I think we should be selecting the best possible players for competitive games.

If we're honest, none of those players would make the starting eleven on merit, and most wouldn't make the squad if we're being honest.

I know some people say "bring them on 4 minutes in to second half stoppage time and then we don't have to worry about them switching" but that is simply not practical for any number of reasons, not least that the player would see it for the cynical exercise it is.

9 times out of 10 if a player is good enough to play for England and wants to play for England, they will. Don't get me wrong, though. I would be delighted if Hodge broke into the city starting 11 and nailed his colours to our mast. It's just not realistic based on previous cases.

Grealish, Crowley and Ronan all switched from one country to the next when it suited them and if Grealish was ever called up for a competitive game he would've declined a call up there and then.

People were probably saying Tom Field should've been fast-tracked <3 years ago until he rejected a call up to the U21's. Now he's a 23 year old free agent after being released by Dundee. Liam Kelly rejected a call up in similar fashion and, like Field, his career has nosedived.

If they want to play for us, they'll play for us. If they have designs on representing England long-term, they will.

We have a lot of upwardly mobile Irish born players coming through in the younger age groups [Parrott, Connolly, Idah, Obafemi, Cassidy, Molumby, Knight, O'Shea, Collins, Masterson, McLoughlin].

There might've been a time where we needed players anywhere and any way we could get them but for every Walters that becomes a reference point for the managers and fans, there are six or seven like Christie, O'Dowda or Hogan who will never be anything more than squad players who repeatedly flatter to deceive.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 2:35am

There’s a huge opportunity for us to get to the U21 Euros with the new 5 best runners up rule too. Wins against Iceland at home and Luxembourg away should pretty much get us there even if we get absolutely battered by Italy 👀👀 We play Italy next and Italy must play Sweden and Iceland away (at that wind tunnel artificial pitch) to catch up there games in hand not exactly a million to one they could drop points there. We may well go into that Italy game knowing a win puts us on top of the group against arguably the strongest U21 side in Europe (Italy are well in the top 3 atm) 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 12:33pm
Just a thought and to divert away from our more exciting young prospects in the Champ for a moment, we'll have both Ryan Cassidy (19, Accrington Stanley) and Anthony Scully (21, Lincoln) playing away in League One next term.

Be interesting to see who makes a go of that.   I'm not convinced we should be looking at L1 for Senior call-ups but a good season could see either in a promotion run or being taken by a Championship team down the line so glad to see them out there and not languishing in the (Celtic!) reserves.
I'd like to see Afolabi down in L1 or similar too ASAP.

Connor Ronan needs to sort something ASAP also and I'd expect a loan (back to Blackpool?) to emerge.

As someone in a post said, can't wait for the new season to get going.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 1:32pm
Pretty spot on Fozz, agree with all of that. The stats I've seen on Scully at u23 club level look great. He can create and score. I'm unsure as to why he hasn't played for our u21s (competition perhaps) but I really hope he kicks on next year with Lincoln. 

Totally agree with Afolabi and Ronan, they're at that age where you'd like to see them playing first team football. L1 has been a fantastic stepping stone for many a good player.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Pretty spot on Fozz, agree with all of that. The stats I've seen on Scully at u23 club level look great. He can create and score. I'm unsure as to why he hasn't played for our u21s (competition perhaps) but I really hope he kicks on next year with Lincoln. 

Totally agree with Afolabi and Ronan, they're at that age where you'd like to see them playing first team football. L1 has been a fantastic stepping stone for many a good player.

League 1 is the perfect spot for them as Accrington Lincoln Doncasterr Peterborough Burton etc all clubs that these guys above will get there 30-40 matches at whilst playing at what is still a really decent level. If Scully or Cassidy bang in 20-25 goals next year and rip it up of course they’d have to be in contention for the senior squad. If Curtis can be knocking on the door these 2 lads at 20/21 tipping it up should be also not even a questions. 
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:34am
Scully didn’t exactly set league one on fire last season so can’t see him scoring 20 goals. Hopefully I’m wrong. Any time Ive seen Afolabi with our underage teams he looks such an exciting prospect . I agree league one would be better for him that the lower Scottish leagues on loan .  I’m surprised Ali Reghba hasn’t done better at Leicester city u 23s.Hopefully next season is better for him as he always shown a lot of promise for Bohs and Ireland underage 
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 1:49am

Scully didn’t exactly set league one on fire last season so can’t see him scoring 20 goals. Hopefully I’m wrong. Any time Ive seen Afolabi with our underage teams he looks such an exciting prospect . I agree league one would be better for him that the lower Scottish leagues on loan .  I’m surprised Ali Reghba hasn’t done better at Leicester city u 23s.Hopefully next season is better for him as he always shown a lot of promise for Bohs and Ireland underage 

Was there not something recently that Regba was declaring for Algeria
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 1:54am

He got 2 goals and 1 assists in 5 games for them only played the 5 over lockdown. Hardly atrocious if he averaged 3 goal contributions every 5 games this year it wouldn’t be too bad 👀 
Afolabi agreed another one the likes of the 5 lads at Celtic or even lads like Adam O’Reilly Connor Ronan Conor Coventry on the fringes of their teams have golden opppurtunities to get good League 1 moves teams in that division are only gagging for players and the 3 above and certainly 4 of the lads at Celtic would play 30-40 games for a good few League 1 teams. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 11:57am
Lewis Richards has signed a new two year deal at Wolves with an additional one year option.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:15pm
Ryan Cassidy gets off the mark today in a pre-season friendly against Oldham.
Take from that what you will.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 6:11pm
Super pace from Sobowale here

Edited by MC Hammered - 18 Aug 2020 at 6:11pm
El Puto Amo
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Ryan Cassidy gets off the mark today in a pre-season friendly against Oldham.
Take from that what you will.

Of all the young attackers we have this lad has fallen completely under the radar. Was being tipped by many at Watford 18 months ago even to breakthrough at Watford but injury derailed him a bit. If he can really get rolling at Accrington it could be interesting and I suspect he will be back at Watford next year if impressing enough. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 6:51pm
He signed a new two year contract with Watford recently, before their relegation was certain, so they certainly see him as one for the near future.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Los Aros Los Aros wrote:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/shamrock-rovers-teenager-kevin-zefi-21640534?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

PSV interested in Kevin Zefi.

Got 20 mins tonight and looked good, Rovers much better with him on, few games in that league will do him good before a move 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 329>
  Share Topic