Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 6:01pm
Problem now is that there's no more league action before our (potential) trip to Sofia. If you were to pick a 23 man squad in the morning it could prove tough enough. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sponsored Links

Deco79 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 1:29pm
Smallbone should be included in the next squad announced! 9 premier league appearances with 2 assists not sure about cups and more importantly it'll show if he's committed to us or not (no evidence he isn't so far)...
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Smallbone should be included in the next squad announced! 9 premier league appearances with 2 assists not sure about cups and more importantly it'll show if he's committed to us or not (no evidence he isn't so far)...

Agree with this, but would also add that he should be included on merit alone. Southampton are a good team and he generally plays ahead of Long and Obafemi (admittedly different positions) 

Hes a good player, in a position we definitely need cover. Next year will be massive for him.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 3:45pm
Luca Connell getting positive reviews after playing the second half against Hibs!.

Edited by horsebox - 27 Jul 2020 at 4:01pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 3:54pm
it was Hibs (second team) they were playing, but yes he was excellent today.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Luca Connell getting positive reviews after playing the second half against Aberdeen.

Has to start against Slovakia!

Seriously though, any sign of any of the young Irish lads getting first team games at Celtic this season?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

it was Hibs (second team) they were playing, but yes he was excellent today.

Yep, your right it was Hibs.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 4:03pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Luca Connell getting positive reviews after playing the second half against Aberdeen.

Has to start against Slovakia!

Seriously though, any sign of any of the young Irish lads getting first team games at Celtic this season?

Connell is part of the first team squad but probably won't get much  or any game time.

O'Connor, Coffey, Okoflex and Afolabi are not part of the first team squad, so definitely won't be getting any game time.

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 Jul 2020 at 4:04pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 4:06pm

Good to hear, he was pulling some good reviews in his Blackburn days too. So he's got some first team championship experience already. I can't help thinking (in hindsight of course) that the celtic move has been a year wasted.

Would really be good to see him break through to the first team next year at Celtic or a loan move to a championship club
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 4:08pm
He was at Bolton not Blackburn and he was out injured for a good period.

The fact is, that if he's good enough he'll make the break through.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 4:11pm
Totally right it was Bolton... agree that if he's good enough he'll play but he could already be good enough for a Championship side but not yet for the Celtic first team... all depends on competition in his position.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Good to hear, he was pulling some good reviews in his Blackburn days too. So he's got some first team championship experience already. I can't help thinking (in hindsight of course) that the celtic move has been a year wasted.

Would really be good to see him break through to the first team next year at Celtic or a loan move to a championship club

Scottish Championship club more likely I'd say.

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 Jul 2020 at 4:19pm
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 4:52pm
O'Connor and Connell, in particular, made a terrible error in moving to Celtic. I don't know what they and their advisors were thinking.

They were never going to get into the first-team picture at an all-conquering Celtic side, expected to win every game. And Celtic don't compete in a proper reserve league. It was a complete dead-end move.

O'Connor's gone from playing regularly and impressing in Premier League 2 against the best young talent in England, being talked about in terms of first team opportunities at United and looking quite impressive on his Ireland debut, to toiling away for a basket case Partick at the bottom of the Scottish Championship - a league that isn't even fully professional.

Connell was playing regularly and garnering good reviews in the Championship. He's now playing a series of meaningless friendlies against  no-mark teams at windswept and desolate football grounds across Scotland.

It's an appalling waste of talent.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 5:24pm
I agree with all that. Having watched O Connor in about 15 Matches for Ireland u 19s u21s and the senior team he looks to have similar talent levels to Jason Knight. Somethings not right 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 5:56pm
100% agree here.
Celtic is not the place for developing our young talent as it's a black hole for them.
They play to win and have money to buy so no need for them to actively develop plays, like most teams do, when they can outbid all their rivals for players.
I appreciate all teams play to win and the fact that if they were good enough, they'd shine through but it seems Celtic is far from a nurturing environment and offers way less opportunities to allow them to impress.

Hope to see some of these 5 lads move out before the new season.

Edited by Fozz - 27 Jul 2020 at 6:42pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 6:06pm
Celtic are taking Ajeti on loan from West Ham, which is not good news for Afolabi. The Irish group up there are all players who  should be breaking into the first team now, but they aren’t really looking all that close. Hope I’m wrong.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

I agree with all that. Having watched O Connor in about 15 Matches for Ireland u 19s u21s and the senior team he looks to have similar talent levels to Jason Knight. Somethings not right 

Frimpong is what's not right. When all of Celtic's established right-backs got injured and Lennon was forced to sink to the level of actually picking a young player, he had the choice between O'Connor and Frimpong. While I don't necessarily think there's a whole lot between them in terms of footballing ability, Frimpong has absolutely searing pace which was always likely to give him the edge in the decision.
We're decent enough..
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:05pm
Both O'Connor and Connell should try get to leage one clubs in England 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 329>
  Share Topic