You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Yeah, it's funny when we consider these young lads and whether they'd choose Ireland over England.
As if for any, that will even be a question.

Look at the young English talent - Greenwood, Mount, Foden etc...all streets ahead of our lads and that's the quality England have to call upon.

Who have we, in the PL, that would even approach those levels who is a dual-national?
Smallbone?  I like him but he's nowhere near their level if we're being objective.

Grealish has turned 24 and no senior cap even though he is a standout player weekly for Villa in the PL.
You have to be an exceptional English young talent these days to consider you'd get into any Senior England team.

I think a lot of the English talent is overrated.  They are young lads in what is now very attacking football surrounded by world class players from the world over. drop them all into the same team and it is a bit different as we have seen tournament after tournament 

Kind of an historical thing for English teams

The talent they had in the 90s/00s was insane and it went nowhere 

Edited by Healy52003 - 07 Jul 2020 at 10:05pm
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Yeah, it's funny when we consider these young lads and whether they'd choose Ireland over England.

Look at the young English talent - Greenwood, Mount, Foden etc...all streets ahead of our lads and that's the quality England have to call upon.

Who have we, in the PL, that would even approach those levels who is a dual-national?
Smallbone?  I like him but he's nowhere near their level if we're being objective.

Grealish has turned 24 and no senior cap even though he is a standout player weekly for Villa in the PL.
You have to be an exceptional English young talent these days to consider you'd get into any Senior England team.

I think a lot of the English talent is overrated.  They are young lads in what is now very attacking football surrounded by world class players from the world over. drop them all into the same team and it is a bit different as we have seen tournament after tournament 

All true. A lot of big prospects have turned out to be pretty mediocre - look at Walcott.
Credit where is due, though. Southgate has done a lot to
Improve the culture around the senior team.
Also, Greenwood in particular looks a very good prospect. He has it.
We’ve got one or two of those ourselves, I think.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 9:07am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

All true. A lot of big prospects have turned out to be pretty mediocre - look at Walcott.
Credit where is due, though. Southgate has done a lot to
Improve the culture around the senior team.
Also, Greenwood in particular looks a very good prospect. He has it.
We’ve got one or two of those ourselves, I think.

I think Southgate gets a lot of credit for basically doing nothing but enacting what is a general plan for talent development in English football. I think the man is tactically inept tbh. English thinking about football has always been very rigid and you can see it in the way they organise a team, especially in midfield. Besides a dream route to a WC semi final he hasn't done a whole lot with what he has. I can't even put my finger on their football identity. Even if they do get a world cup winning team coming through he won't be the man to get the job done. They are not trend setters they are trend followers so usually one step behind the best nations. I really think England are just the best tier 2 nation in all honesty.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 12:13pm
I agree with you by and large Nialler. I think Southgate is basically a great HR man. He got good results out of decent players, which is not genius level management. But his big achievement is killing the toxic environment around the team and making the public like them again. The mid-2000 generation was full of talent, but were, let’s face it, a bunch of whiny ****s. Toxic.

I think Kenny will do the same for us. He’s got that ability to connect the players with the public. I’m excited to see what he does with the job.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 1:12pm
Ireland don't have any players close to England's level. Greenwood,  foden and saka are potential superstars.  Add sancho, rashford, sterling, kane trent Alexander Arnold, maddison,  grealish,  winks etc these guys could go onto become World champions in the next 10 years. Southgate has ditched has beens and brought through youth. As for the assumption that English youngsters  only look good in good club sides, man utd aren't a great side or arsenal yet saka and Greenwood have been 2 of their standout players. Fir me only France have better youth coming through,  Belgium are on the wane, Spain rely on the same players,  Germany have one or two kids as do Italy.  Holland have alot of weak areas, Portugal are fairly strong. we still haven't seen the best of England's generation. There are more to come like Curtis Jones, Bellingham 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 12:14pm
Alan Reynolds confirmed as assistant manager with the U-21s
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 2:09pm
not sure if it's mentioned anywhere else but Joe Rafferty is playing well at Preston North End. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

Ireland don't have any players close to England's level. Greenwood,  foden and saka are potential superstars.  Add sancho, rashford, sterling, kane trent Alexander Arnold, maddison,  grealish,  winks etc these guys could go onto become World champions in the next 10 years. Southgate has ditched has beens and brought through youth. As for the assumption that English youngsters  only look good in good club sides, man utd aren't a great side or arsenal yet saka and Greenwood have been 2 of their standout players. Fir me only France have better youth coming through,  Belgium are on the wane, Spain rely on the same players,  Germany have one or two kids as do Italy.  Holland have alot of weak areas, Portugal are fairly strong. we still haven't seen the best of England's generation. There are more to come like Curtis Jones, Bellingham 

Let's look at the U17s, U19s and U21s from last year:
U17: Winners Holland. Runners Up Italy. Spain and France beaten Semi-Finalists
U19: Winners Spain. Runners Up Portugal. Ireland and France beaten Semi-Finalists
U21 Winners Spain. Runners Up Germany. France and Romania beaten Semi-Finalists
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 3:38pm
If England were to become world champions using the players mentioned, they would include Irish eligible Kane and Maddison, Grealish , who has many underage Irish caps but has yet to make his senior debut for England and no doubt a fellow by the name of Rice who has several senior caps for Ireland.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 8:48pm
Agreed on Greenwood and also on Foden but I just do not fancy Southgate will ever get it right tactically. Maybe they get a new manager who can get every drop of talent out of them but I just don't see it. and all the big nations are have a conveyor belt coming through too. I really think they are not a golden gen at all compared to 10 years ago. They missed their best chance they will get at the last world cup. Also the fact they are chokers in general eases my mind haha
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:01pm

Edited by Nialler - 09 Jul 2020 at 9:02pm
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:15pm
unfortunately and it’s hard to say it but I think they now definitely have the quality all over their squad to win the euros or World Cup. Even some players that can’t get near their squad are really good... hopefully some of Our good underage squads develop into something really decent and put a stop to their cockiness

Edited by Liam Green - 09 Jul 2020 at 9:17pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:27pm
Their Euros team for next year could include Greenwood, Sterling, Rashford, Kane, Foden, Sancho, Alexander Arnold, Henderson.....Jessie Lingard I suppose will still make the squad.....defence could let them down.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

unfortunately and it’s hard to say it but I think they now definitely have the quality all over their squad to win the euros or World Cup. Even some players that can’t get near their squad are really good... hopefully some of Our good underage squads develop into something really decent and put a stop to their cockiness

I really wish some of our fans would stop with all of this pettiness.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 10:40pm
Why has a thread about our underage prospects turned into a thread about The Tans future prospects. Keep on topic
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Their Euros team for next year could include Greenwood, Sterling, Rashford, Kane, Foden, Sancho, Alexander Arnold, Henderson.....Jessie Lingard I suppose will still make the squad.....defence could let them down.

Weak spine but great out wide and in attack will not win a major tournament. I think people are underestimating what other nations have coming through themselves. You take Henderson out of Pool and he looks ordinary. I'm not saying they don't have great options but I dont see any Gattuso or Vieira or Zidane in their either or a great centre half. They will come up against a Germany or a Spain and get out thought. If they had say a Guardiola then it would automatically put them in with a shout. I feel blessed it is Southgate.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by davereilly davereilly wrote:

Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

Ireland don't have any players close to England's level. Greenwood,  foden and saka are potential superstars.  Add sancho, rashford, sterling, kane trent Alexander Arnold, maddison,  grealish,  winks etc these guys could go onto become World champions in the next 10 years. Southgate has ditched has beens and brought through youth. As for the assumption that English youngsters  only look good in good club sides, man utd aren't a great side or arsenal yet saka and Greenwood have been 2 of their standout players. Fir me only France have better youth coming through,  (1)Belgium are on the wane, (2)Spain rely on the same players,  (3)Germany have one or two kids as do (4)Italy.  (5)Holland have alot of weak areas, Portugal are fairly strong. we still haven't seen the best of England's generation. There are more to come like Curtis Jones, Bellingham 

Let's look at the U17s, U19s and U21s from last year:
U17: Winners Holland. Runners Up Italy. Spain and France beaten Semi-Finalists
U19: Winners Spain. Runners Up Portugal. Ireland and France beaten Semi-Finalists
U21 Winners Spain. Runners Up Germany. France and Romania beaten Semi-Finalists

Here is a list of young u23 players linked with moves or already at big * clubs and considered to have bright futures   

1) Zinho Vanheusden, Killian Sardella, Sebastian Bornauw,Orel Mangala, Alexis Saelamaekers, Jeremy Doku, Louis Openda, Yari Verschaeren, Xian Emmers. Maarten Vandervoort

2) Josep Martinez, Inaki Pena, Eric Garcia, Marc Cucurella, Alejandro Pozo, Ferran Torres, Abel Ruiz, Sergio Gomez, Ansu Fati, Dani Olmo, Carles Alena, Mikel Oyarzabel, Carlos Soler, Dani Ceballos, 

3) Markus Schubert, Alexander Nubel, Lennart Grill, Josha Vagnonam, Arne Maier, Johannes Eggestein, Denis Geiger, Jonathan Tah, Suat Serdar, Nadiem Amiri, Lukas Waldschimdt, Marcos Ritcher, Max Eggestein

4) Emil Audero, Alessandro Bastoni, Davide Bettela, Luca Pelligrini, Nicolo Armini,Federico DiMarco, Claud Adjapong, Sandro Tonali, Nicolo Zaniolo, Nicolo Barella, Federico Chiesa, Eddie Salcedo, Sebastiano Esposito, Alessio Riccardi, Emanuel Vignato

5) Calvin Raatsie, Kjell Scherpen, Mattjis de Ligt, Teun Koopmeiners, Peer Schuurs, Owen Wijindal, Calvin Stengs, Daishawn Redan, Kik Pierie, Mohammed Ihartaren , Myron Boadu, Donyell Malen, Mitchel Bakker, Ryan Gravenberch, Jurgen Ekkelenkamp, 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 11:11am
I'd also say I could mention a few more for Belgium, but end of the day your argument of England having the best young players coming through isn't true. They have good players yes, but to as poster above stats look at the recent underage tournaments to see who is going to have a bright future.

But as Kilbane said back on the topic of Ireland best Prospects

Edited by lassassinblanc - 10 Jul 2020 at 11:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 329>
  Share Topic