Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Which U-19's would these be? If they genuinely are thinking of leaving, then it likely would have happened anyway and this is pure opportunism on their part to deflect any backlash.
I wont name names but they are obviously of African heritage as they can not only declare for Nigeria etc but also England.

I'm not seeing how being of African heritage would qualify you for England? Obviously OkoFlex is one you're referring to, but we're not even certain he qualifies for England. Who else of African heritage in our squad even potentially qualifies for England?
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 11:35pm
On a happier note after a slightly slow start at the Den Jayson Molumby has been outstanding of late: Spikey, energetic, composed on the ball and mobile. Everything we lack in central midfield in the senior team.

Only weakness is he can be rash when he is not playing well and gets a bit frustrated when he does not perform to his high standards and tries to snap a fef.airyles. Hopefully he learns to control his temper

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 11:54pm

Which U-19's would these be? If they genuinely are thinking of leaving, then it likely would have happened anyway and this is pure opportunism on their part to deflect any backlash.
I wont name names but they are obviously of African heritage as they can not only declare for Nigeria etc but also England.
I'm not seeing how being of African heritage would qualify you for England? Obviously OkoFlex is one you're referring to, but we're not even certain he qualifies for England. Who else of African heritage in our squad even potentially qualifies for England?
Part of Empire/Comminwealth.

Sure I could play for England.
Im entitled to a British passport as my father was born in the Irish Free State prior to 1949 when we became a Republic. Nigeria is probably similar.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 11:56pm

Part of Empire/Comminwealth.

Sure I could play for England.
Im entitled to a British passport as my father was born in the Irish Free State prior to 1949 when we became a Republic. Nigeria is probably similar.

Haha - thank you for disproving your own rumour. Looking forward to that long heralded Leon Bailey call up
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 11:58pm
None of that entitles you to play for England though?? In order to qualify for England you either have to have been born there, have a parent/grandparent born there, or have 5 years schooling there. Simply being of Nigerian heritage, or having an Irish parent born pre-independence, in no way shape or form qualifies you for England.
We're decent enough..
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 1:17am
The player I was told about, qualifies for 4 countries.

You say thats impossible.

We shall see !!!

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 6:13am
I know Sotana is England qualified, Okoflex I think first arrived at 11 in England going back to the earliest news story so could well be, Odubeko and the Arsenal lad Ogungbo(?) have been there for a few years. Seems to be a trend with the Nigerian kids moving over to UK quite young, maybe reflecting immigration patterns of Nigerians, some using it as a stepping stone to the U.K. I think its not so easy to get a passport though so can't see them being eligible for England very easily or perhaps ever going by the Johansson case?

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 7:23am

We shall see !!!

Well tell us the name of the player so and the 4 countries he supposedly qualifies for, why the mystique? I'm not saying it's impossible he qualifies for England, but it is impossible he qualifies for England in the manner you're suggesting.
We're decent enough..
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 7:46am

Rumours that one or two of the ‘dual nationality’ players on our u19s are not happy with the current state of affairs with the FAI. Talk of them jumping ship. One of them can pick from 4 nations.
Did you hear that from the rice is definitely rumour mill?
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 8:16am

We shall see !!!

Well tell us the name of the player so and the 4 countries he supposedly qualifies for, why the mystique? I'm not saying it's impossible he qualifies for England, but it is impossible he qualifies for England in the manner you're suggesting.

The same Gary McKay who was 100% certain Declan Rice would play for us LOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 8:47am
Johannson is the only u19 player who qualifies for 4 countrys.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:33am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

What's the fourth?
He's played competitively for Luxembourg, and appeared for Sweden and ourselves in friendlies.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:36am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

What's the fourth?
He's played competitively for Luxembourg, and appeared for Sweden and ourselves in friendlies.

Qualifies for England too, his mam was born there.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 9:40am
Seeing as Johansson's transfer to us hasn't even gone through yet, he could hardly be accused of defecting though. Gary' seems to be dead set on the idea that its our "African" players who are looking to jump ship, but no one really fits the description he's set out.
We're decent enough..
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 10:38am
I wouldnt be surprised if the substance of what Gary says is true, but that the player himself is a bit ill-informed regarding how many countries he could play for. 

It would be a bit ironic if a player stopped playing for Ireland because of the FAI, only to go and play for an African country. We all remember the issues many of these countries have had in relation to player payments etc. 

At one point it looked like Cameroon wouldnt play in Brazil 2014 due to issues around bonus payments. The Nigerian womens team had similar issues this year.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 11:09am

The 21s had to get 5 flights to and from Armenia because of the FAI last month. Wouldn't blame a player for not wanting any part of that circus tbh, particularly one who may not be born in Ireland
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

The 21s had to get 5 flights to and from Armenia because of the FAI last month. Wouldn't blame a player for not wanting any part of that circus tbh, particularly one who may not be born in Ireland

True but I doubt anyone playing under SK would be looking to go anywhere.  I get the impression he engenders good loyalty, work-ethic and a togetherness in his squads.
And the fact he is to be the Senior manager next year means the lads who have played under him won't be far off his radar and they'd know that.
I know the poster was talking about the U19's but they must know that SK would be keeping a close watch on their progress too.
That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Edited by Fozz - 17 Dec 2019 at 11:32am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

The same Gary McKay who was 100% certain Declan Rice would play for us LOL
LOLLOL
I’ll have to review my sources 😆.
In fairness it was Rice’s father who told the FAI coaching staff that he wasnt deflecting.

PS emergency meeting took place on Sunday of the RDO’s at FAI HQ.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 329>
  Share Topic