You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 2:19pm
Is Perkins definitely eligible? I know his dad played underage for us but he was English born. If the dad qualified through the granny rule then Perkins would be ineligible.

Edited by You Tell Me - 09 Oct 2022 at 2:19pm
Sponsored Links

Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Perkins is a very high profile youngster. He prob isn’t that far away from his Leeds debut. Can’t see him being a prospect for us 

It's difficult to know based on PL2 football.

James McAtee scored 19 goals and provided 7 assists last season at U23 level for City, yet is now struggling to break into the Sheffield United team this season.

Liam Delap has scored 32 goals and provided 8 assists from 32 PL2 appearances. He's slowly adjusting to The Championship.

The step up is massive. Perkins might not adapt to it easily either. His fellow Leeds U23 teammates, Summerville and Gelhardt, have found the step up to PL games difficult.

It all depends on the progress of Delap, Barry and Perkins over the next few years. To be getting England senior caps, they have to be playing PL football and performing.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Is Perkins definitely eligible? I know his dad played underage for us but he was English born. If the dad qualified through the granny rule then Perkins would be ineligible.

I don't know for definite. Transfermarkt have him listed as English and Irish in terms of citizenship.
Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:31am
I was reading about Jack McGlynn on here, he seems an interesting prospect. The USA mens team are not doing so well right now, so hopefully that might budge Jack's intentions a little more our way.

I haven't seen him play, I've only read about him, but it all seems positive. Plus the American players tend to be reasonably technically coached. If he develops as well as some people think he might he could be a very good player. The MLS season ends on October 9, but I don't see any upcoming activity for the U21s that could get him over here to join in.

Anyone actually see him in action at all?
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 9:19am
He's got the U20s WC next summer and the Olympics in 2024 so would be silly to change his mind this soon if he's got intentions of doing it.

Haven't seen him play but his first senior goal was a free kick and he's left footed. Only other left footed midfielders I can think of are Hourihane and Connell.

Was supposedly invited to a training camp but couldn't show up as his club wouldn't release him so must have some level of interest at least. He's second generation so don't have to mess about making sure his birth is registered and what not.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:15am
Seems unlikely that any American based dual Irish-American would choose us. There isn't that much of a standard difference between the two squads, but they have a much easier route to major tournaments than we do. So it seems unlikely that we would get many Americans who are good enough to improve us to switch to us.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 11:04am

Seems unlikely that any American based dual Irish-American would choose us. There isn't that much of a standard difference between the two squads, but they have a much easier route to major tournaments than we do. So it seems unlikely that we would get many Americans who are good enough to improve us to switch to us.

USA & Canada have improved a lot. Some very good young players coming through from both.

USA have players playing at a higher level than us generally. They have players at Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Leeds, Celtic, Rangers, Bayern, Dortmund, Juventus, Milan, Valencia, Lille, etc.

Canada have some standout players like Alphonso Davies, Tajon Buchanan and Jonathan David.

The rest of the world are improving, as seen with Luxembourg.

AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 1:50pm

On the contrary, they may look at us as a stepping stone to English leagues. Not really the reason we want players to declare for us but it is part of the equation.
It's not me it's you:-)
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

On the contrary, they may look at us as a stepping stone to English leagues. Not really the reason we want players to declare for us but it is part of the equation.

Doubt they'd need to declare for us as a possible stepping stone to English leagues. I'd say moving to a European league would be enough and being an Irish citizen so won't need a work visa in the UK if a move were to happen.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 4:56pm
Manchester City tracking St Pat's teenage star Curtis (rte.ie)

Man City apparently keen on Sam Curtis. It would be a shame to see him disappear into Citeh's development squads for a period, although long term it could be a great move.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 5:12pm
They were tracking Ferizaj as well apparently. That's what was mentioned in a recent article I believe. Chelsea were mentioned and Sampdoria who his agent wanted him to sign with but his father talked him into staying with Rovers a bit longer than going to Italy.
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 6:08pm
City is a decent option for good youth players. They have top coaching and facilities. If the player has something about them they seem to have the contacts to get them good development loans. Also are willing to let them go for a reasonable fee and not loan them for eternity like some PL clubs or keep them in the squad with very little first team minutes because they need numbers.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 9:38pm
hat trick ollie o neill. maybe time for a loan move?
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

hat trick ollie o neill. maybe time for a loan move?

Definitely. Turns 20 in January.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 12:17am
4 goals and an assist for Ollie o'Neill for fulham U21s tonight in a 7 nil winover Leicester. Another who will need capping and a loan in January.
Idah Dream!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 8:24am
Tom Cannon got 2 goals and 2 assists for the Everton U-21s, they beat Hartlepool 6-0 last night.
Thats 8 goals and 4 assists in 10 appearances for Everton U-21s now 
I assume he will be part of the next patch of strikets for the ROI U-21s with Ferguson, Mipo, Armstrong etc.
He might look for a loan in the new year to League 1 or 2.
Millwall were rumoured to be looking to sign him in the last window but I don't know how much truth was in that.

Edited by darman28 - 19 Oct 2022 at 8:24am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 12:18am
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Tom Cannon got 2 goals and 2 assists for the Everton U-21s, they beat Hartlepool 6-0 last night.
Thats 8 goals and 4 assists in 10 appearances for Everton U-21s now 
I assume he will be part of the next patch of strikets for the ROI U-21s with Ferguson, Mipo, Armstrong etc.
He might look for a loan in the new year to League 1 or 2.
Millwall were rumoured to be looking to sign him in the last window but I don't know how much truth was in that.

We have a lot of good prospects at U21/PL2 level. Ferguson, Moran, Cannon, Costelloe, O'Neill, Kavanagh, Pearce, etc.

We need them to transition to senior football over the next 18-24 months.

Odubeko was also prolific for West Ham U21s, but hasn't found it easy at senior level so far. Oko-Flex is in the same boat.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 6:34pm
Rocco Vata linked with a host of big clubs including Roma, Juve, Milan, Arsenal and Man City.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 329>
  Share Topic