You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 285286287288289 329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

So at this point we have players capped all the way up to the 2002 group (Parrott, Bazunu, Omobamidele).
I was wondering what player do people think will be the first of the 2003 group to get a senior cap?

I'm thinking Adaramola, given the age/injury profile at LWB - McClean (33), Stevens (32), Brady (30).

Other options maybe - Garcia MacNulty, O'Neill, Moran, Sinclair Armstrong, Emakhu, Kenny, John Joe Patrick Finn, Lawal, Roughan, Cristiano Fitzgerald, Zak Gilsenan

Obviously unlikely to happen now for a couple of years as the senior team has developed some depth in most areas, but it was just a thought I had.

I would make a LB favourite looking at the aging players we have in that position combined with the fact we have a few promising youngsters in this age group. Adaramola and Roughan look like fine prospects. Roughan looks like getting a regular run at Lincoln. Greenwood at Bournemouth another lad who played a cup game recently. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see a 2004 born prospect appear before a 03 one tbh the obvious one heing young Evan Ferguson. 

Edited by kevin100 - 21 Sep 2022 at 4:20pm
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

So at this point we have players capped all the way up to the 2002 group (Parrott, Bazunu, Omobamidele).
I was wondering what player do people think will be the first of the 2003 group to get a senior cap?

I'm thinking Adaramola, given the age/injury profile at LWB - McClean (33), Stevens (32), Brady (30).

Other options maybe - Garcia MacNulty, O'Neill, Moran, Sinclair Armstrong, Emakhu, Kenny, John Joe Patrick Finn, Lawal, Roughan, Cristiano Fitzgerald, Zak Gilsenan

Obviously unlikely to happen now for a couple of years as the senior team has developed some depth in most areas, but it was just a thought I had.

Good question.
A lad can suddenly get into a starting team (like Costelloe did) and put himself up for selection whereas before that he was nowhere in the conversation.
Who's likely tho?
I'd go for Armstrong or Moran out of that list.  We're not over-burdened with attacking talent and Moran is a player we just don't have in the seniors.  But maybe he won't be that player either...
Armstrong is such a physical presence and getting Championship minutes, so he's my favourite.

And Tayo, who you already tipped.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 4:36pm
It's harder for the next groups as they are coming into a fairly full looking squad, so they're going to need to be better in order to be capped than someone like Parrott was when he was first capped. We're not scraping around for league one standard players like we were a year or two ago, there's definitely more depth now.

But left wing back is the obvious exception given the age profile of all our senior options there, so I would agree that Adaramola and Roughan have the best shot of the 2003 group because of that. Armstrong is another to watch but, as he is a forward, he has plenty of competition from other year groups around him, anyone from Ferguson to Odubeko and a few others could push ahead of him there, and there's also Idah to come back, so he's going to need to do really well at club level to get capped any time soon.

There are some promising players in the 2003 group, but probably not of the same standard of the 99s (O'Shea, Travers, Molumby), 00s (Smallbone, Coventry, Obafemi), 01s (Idah, Collins, Knight) and 02s (Bazunu, Omobamidele, Ebosele and Parrott).

Difficult to continue to produce three or four of that standard year after year.

Edited by You Tell Me - 21 Sep 2022 at 4:41pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It's harder for the next groups as they are coming into a fairly full looking squad, so they're going to need to be better in order to be capped than someone like Parrott was when he was first capped. We're not scraping around for league one standard players like we were a year or two ago, there's definitely more depth now.

But left wing back is the obvious exception given the age profile of all our senior options there, so I would agree that Adaramola and Roughan have the best shot of the 2003 group because of that. Armstrong is another to watch but, as he is a forward, he has plenty of competition from other year groups around him, anyone from Ferguson to Odubeko and a few others could push ahead of him there, and there's also Idah to come back, so he's going to need to do really well at club level to get capped any time soon.

There are some promising players in the 2003 group, but probably not of the same standard of the 99s (O'Shea, Travers, Molumby), 00s (Smallbone, Coventry, Obafemi), 01s (Idah, Collins, Knight) and 02s (Bazunu, Omobamidele, Ebosele and Parrott).

Difficult to continue to produce three or four of that standard year after year.

Garcia McNulty Adaramola Roughan Moran would be the leading lights of this age group for me. All look promising Armstrong Kenny and Lawal would be close by but think their club situations are a negative long term. I might be harsh on QPR there. 

Roughan does look a prospect and should hopefully hold down a place in that Lincoln team it's looking like he will. Some big clubs have been scouting him for a while.

Adaramola was a victim of circumstance Coventry had some neck sending back after 4 games under the guise he wasn't good enough with the way they are going and without giving him a chance. Thought he was treated disgracefully myself. The kid clearly not the issue they made him out to be

Edited by kevin100 - 21 Sep 2022 at 6:42pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Garcia McNulty Adaramola Roughan Moran would be the leading lights of this age group for me. All look promising Armstrong Kenny and Lawal would be close by but think their club situations are a negative long term. I might be harsh on QPR there. 

Roughan does look a prospect and should hopefully hold down a place in that Lincoln team it's looking like he will. Some big clubs have been scouting him for a while.

Adaramola was a victim of circumstance Coventry had some neck sending back after 4 games under the guise he wasn't good enough with the way they are going and without giving him a chance. Thought he was treated disgracefully myself. The kid clearly not the issue they made him out to be

Apparently Roughan is making a big impression at Lincoln this season. I know they gave him some games in 20/21 and then pulled him out of the team because they didn't feel he was ready in the first half of 21/22 before he went to Drogheda in Jan 22. Not sure what the motivation was behind him going on trial at Southampton and Chelsea at that point but he didn't sign for either (whether it was his decision or theirs, surely he would have had a good shot of getting a deal at Southampton). But the loan to Drogheda looks to have done him the world of good, coupled maybe with Mark Kennedy going in there and giving him his faith. Apparently is playing well there too going on their fans forum. Destined surely to push up a division or two in the medium term. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Apparently Roughan is making a big impression at Lincoln this season. I know they gave him some games in 20/21 and then pulled him out of the team because they didn't feel he was ready in the first half of 21/22 before he went to Drogheda in Jan 22. Not sure what the motivation was behind him going on trial at Southampton and Chelsea at that point but he didn't sign for either (whether it was his decision or theirs, surely he would have had a good shot of getting a deal at Southampton). But the loan to Drogheda looks to have done him the world of good, coupled maybe with Mark Kennedy going in there and giving him his faith. Apparently is playing well there too going on their fans forum. Destined surely to push up a division or two in the medium term. 

Loan would have brought him and I suspect a manager just biting the bullet and showing him faith has helped too. The game being called off this weekend probably no harm gives his competition no chance to get back in ahead of him.

If he can hold his place he might well attract interest at the end of the season. I do have hopes for the lad out of all our 2003 players he would be top of my list just about.

Edited by kevin100 - 21 Sep 2022 at 7:52pm
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:39am
On Off the Ball last night before the game they said that of the U-20 team from 1997 that got to the World Championships semi-final, only Duff and Crowe got capped for Ireland at senior level, while 10 of the Argentina team from the semi-final game got full caps.  

Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:27am
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

On Off the Ball last night before the game they said that of the U-20 team from 1997 that got to the World Championships semi-final, only Duff and Crowe got capped for Ireland at senior level, while 10 of the Argentina team from the semi-final game got full caps.  

That's correct. Other than Duff that was actually not a particularly strong team. Kerr unquestionably worked an absolute miracle with those lads, regardless of what you may think of his time with the senior team.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:05pm
Jon Macken also played in that tournament. For England though.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:12pm
Is this youngster Mc Glynn from the MLS likely to happen? If so, is he good enough to challenge for a place in the senior squad from the off or is he more of a medium term prospect?
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:13pm
He'd be mad to consider it when he's got a potential U20s WC next summer and the Olympics the year after.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Is this youngster Mc Glynn from the MLS likely to happen? If so, is he good enough to challenge for a place in the senior squad from the off or is he more of a medium term prospect?

Don't know much about him but I see he's 6 foot tall and has 21 league games so far this season. Might he be that far away from senior squad? Very hard to judge with the MLS. 
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:50pm

Joseph Lapira 2.0 is what the streets are saying. But better.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:15pm
Few can compare with the former Lafayette Swamp Cats and Baton Rouge Capitals offensive lineman.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 2:08pm
Wee article on 3 of the young lads at Celtic. Strikes an optimistic note, despite our recent experiences with young players going there. Let's hope the 3 lads can push on, but as many have noted, that Lowland League does them no favours. At least Kenny has gone out on loan, albeit at Scots Chsp level which is probably at best on a par with LoI and probably not even.

Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 3:59pm

Wee article on 3 of the young lads at Celtic. Strikes an optimistic note, despite our recent experiences with young players going there. Let's hope the 3 lads can push on, but as many have noted, that Lowland League does them no favours. At least Kenny has gone out on loan, albeit at Scots Chsp level which is probably at best on a par with LoI and probably not even.

We could really do with Kenny and Kavanagh pushing on this season.

Kavanagh had a taste of senior football at Harrogate near the end of last season.

His stats for Middlesbrough U23s and U18s are impressive. Back with the U23 team for now.

Kenny did well at Sligo. He's only started 1 game out of 4 for Queen's Park so far. Hopefully he can score 10+ goals by the end of the season.

Liam Delap and Louie Barry might become options one day if England doesn't work out for them. Very competitive. Balogun, Archer, Gelhardt, Scarlett, Perkins, Soonsup-Bell, McNeill, Cannonier, etc.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

We could really do with Kenny and Kavanagh pushing on this season.

Kavanagh had a taste of senior football at Harrogate near the end of last season.

His stats for Middlesbrough U23s and U18s are impressive. Back with the U23 team for now.

Kenny did well at Sligo. He's only started 1 game out of 4 for Queen's Park so far. Hopefully he can score 10+ goals by the end of the season.

Liam Delap and Louie Barry might become options one day if England doesn't work out for them. Very competitive. Balogun, Archer, Gelhardt, Scarlett, Perkins, Soonsup-Bell, McNeill, Cannonier, etc.

Unlikely either trouble the senior panel any time soon, but it would be nice to see both in the U21s for the next campaign, although they have plenty of competition to start in that U21 team - a lot of very good attacking players in there - Ferguson, Odubeko I think is eligible again, Sinclair Armstrong to name just 3.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 4:08pm
Wilder was quoted as saying that his view was that none of the younger players at Boro were near to first team ready, which presumably includes Kavanagh. So I wouldn't be expecting to see much of him this side of January, when he might maybe get out on loan again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 285286287288289 329>
  Share Topic