You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 284285286287288 329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 12:10pm
I was very surprised that the son of Rudi Vata was not only eligible but chose to represent Ireland at the time. Apart from his mother's mother that side of the family are all Scottish born but have a stronger affiliation to Ireland than Scotland.
Sponsored Links

RobsYourUncle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsYourUncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 12:47pm
Zefi and Ferizaj are cousins aren't they? Would hope Zefi is of a similar mindset, think I recall an interview with him where he seemed 100% committed to us.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 12:53pm
Personally find it hard to believe that Albania offered Ferizaj a senior call up.

A talented player no doubt, but I would have thought they have better options than unproven LOI players.

We rarely cap established LOI players and it's our own league.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Personally find it hard to believe that Albania offered <span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Ferizaj a senior call up.</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">A talented player no doubt, but I would have thought they have better options than unproven LOI players.</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">We rarely cap established LOI players and it's our own league.</span>

How often have Wales called lads into their senior squad with little to no senior experience. One of their recent call ups is a 17yr old with 45mins of senior experience in the EFL cup for Fulham. A game which saw him subbed at half time as they were losing to Crawley Town.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 1:45pm

Personally find it hard to believe that Albania offered Ferizaj a senior call up.

A talented player no doubt, but I would have thought they have better options than unproven LOI players.

I'd imagine the standard of the LOI is a more vague concept out there. Their eye was almost certainly caught by the fact he's 17 and playing (well) in European competition, which is a rarity.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by RobsYourUncle RobsYourUncle wrote:

Zefi and Ferizaj are cousins aren't they?

No.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I'd imagine the standard of the LOI is a more vague concept out there. Their eye was almost certainly caught by the fact he's 17 and playing (well) in European competition, which is a rarity.

And that he's a dual national that's not currently in their setup. They would have similar depth issues to Northern Ireland and Wales so it's easy for them to call him up, cap him in the Nation's League and then he's theirs for the future if they want him.

But for Ferizaj it's an easy decision to say no to that at the moment. Why tie himself down when he can stick with Ireland underage, hopefully make our senior squad down the line and if it doesn't work out Albania will still be there as a backup if necessary.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 3:15pm

Did a quick scan of their current squad and recent call ups. There is a lad called Armando Dobra listed there. He didn't get a cap but joined a squad. Plays for Chesterfield in the National League and is English born. The fact that he is attracting such interest from well known European sides for their youth squad and, as someone else said, has featured in Europe were probably enough to attract them. Jack Byrne and Graham Burke not getting called up by Ireland is probably less of a concern of the Albanian FA. 
RobsYourUncle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsYourUncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

No.

Ferizaj and Zefi’s parents settled in Dublin, where Justin and Kevin, who are cousins, were born.

Knew I wasn't imagining things.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 4:02pm

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

No.

Ferizaj and Zefi’s parents settled in Dublin, where Justin and Kevin, who are cousins, were born.

Knew I wasn't imagining things.

Rocco Vata's mother clarified that that was bullsh*t and they're not related (and she would presumably know). Just lazy from the journalist - two Albanian-Irish lads from Dublin so they must be cousins...

Edited by You Tell Me - 18 Sep 2022 at 4:02pm
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 5:36pm
U19 Euro Qualifiers this week in Wales

Wed 21 v Gibraltar
Sat 24 v Wales
Tues 27 v Hungary

Squad 
Recce Byrne
Aaron Maguire

James Abankwah
John Clarke
Sam Curtis
Sean Grehan
Alex Murphy
Harry Nevin
David Okagbue

Justin Ferijaz
Osin Gallagher
Ronan Maher
Ed McJannett
Harry Vaughan

Nathan Frazer 
Tom Lonergan
Mark O'Mahony
Franco Uhme
Roco Vata
Kevin Zefi

Phil Babb View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Babb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 2:43pm
Does anyone know if Ed McJannet is related to the Derry City player, Cameron McJannet?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Phil Babb Phil Babb wrote:

Does anyone know if Ed McJannet is related to the Derry City player, Cameron McJannet?

They are brothers I believe.
We're decent enough..
Phil Babb View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Babb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Phil Babb Phil Babb wrote:

They are brothers I believe.

Thanks. Cameron looks a decent player himself but at 24 his ship has likely sailed at this stage.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 8:16pm
I see Josh O'Brien, who was born in Ireland and grew up in America, and was with our U19's, is starting for Salford tonight in the FLT.

Lee Harkin on the scoresheet for Wolves against Stockport.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 20 Sep 2022 at 8:17pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Lee Harkin on the scoresheet for Wolves against Stockport.

Very tidy finish stepping around the goalie. He is a player that is very fun to watch. Possibly the world's shortest no9 but does a pretty good job in that role always seems to be in the positions for a goalscoring opportunity and very tenacious.
Our usual no9 for the 21s this season Nathan Fraser is with the u19s and also missing Joe Hodge.

Edited by SC92 - 20 Sep 2022 at 8:28pm
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 4:00pm
So at this point we have players capped all the way up to the 2002 group (Parrott, Bazunu, Omobamidele).
I was wondering what player do people think will be the first of the 2003 group to get a senior cap?

I'm thinking Adaramola, given the age/injury profile at LWB - McClean (33), Stevens (32), Brady (30).

Other options maybe - Garcia MacNulty, O'Neill, Moran, Sinclair Armstrong, Emakhu, Kenny, John Joe Patrick Finn, Lawal, Roughan, Cristiano Fitzgerald, Zak Gilsenan

Obviously unlikely to happen now for a couple of years as the senior team has developed some depth in most areas, but it was just a thought I had.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 4:10pm
Flynn Clarke.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 284285286287288 329>
  Share Topic