You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 275276277278279 329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Patrick Viera saying that Tayp Adaramola will be getting his PL debut before the end of the season. Don't know a whole lot about him but from the bits I've seen and read he could be one that will rise through the ranks very quickly. 

How many PL appearances by Irish players this season compared to other seasons, Tets? 

Had to look this up.
It's bad. Really bad.
As things stand, there's only been 138 appearances(96 starts + 42 introductions) by Irish players in the Premier League this season.
Before this season, the lowest total appearances was 2018-18, with 265(212s + 53i)
With two gameweeks left, it'll probably finish between 145 and 150 in total

West Brom and Sheffield United being relegated last season really cost us. In the 2020/21 season David McGoldrick, John Egan, Enda Stevens, Callum Robinson, and Dara O'Shea made 152 appearances between them. That'll be more than the entire Irish representation this season.

Tiny crumbs of comfort from the fact that Springett, and now Adaramola, are going to bump up the amount of Irish players who've featured this season.

Could really do with SU getting promoted, though I can't see them retaining Hourihane or McGoldrick.

They've already confirmed McGoldrick is being released, and agree about them retaining Hourihane either. If they're promoted Josh Cullen could be a viable option for them this summer. Think they were one of the teams that were said to be watching him.

Hourihane is a decent squad player for them, think they'll be happy enough to sign him on a free in the summer.

Possibly, think it also depends on what division they're in and whether they cash in on Sander Berge. Even with the players they have now in midfield they'd need a better player to replace Fleck or Norwood which would make Hourihane fifth choice. Would be a fair few quid to sign Hourihane as fifth choice when there's other positions that need strengthening.
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 8:23pm
Just re Adaramola - born and raised in Ireland (and capped for us underage). 

However, I believe (but am open to correction) that he is technically eligible for England under the 5 year residency/schooling rule.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 11:58am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Patrick Viera saying that Tayp Adaramola will be getting his PL debut before the end of the season. Don't know a whole lot about him but from the bits I've seen and read he could be one that will rise through the ranks very quickly. 

How many PL appearances by Irish players this season compared to other seasons, Tets? 

Had to look this up.
It's bad. Really bad.
As things stand, there's only been 138 appearances(96 starts + 42 introductions) by Irish players in the Premier League this season.
Before this season, the lowest total appearances was 2018-18, with 265(212s + 53i)
With two gameweeks left, it'll probably finish between 145 and 150 in total

West Brom and Sheffield United being relegated last season really cost us. In the 2020/21 season David McGoldrick, John Egan, Enda Stevens, Callum Robinson, and Dara O'Shea made 152 appearances between them. That'll be more than the entire Irish representation this season.

At least, if Adaramola does feature, it won't be our worst year in terms of number of players to feature, as that would bring us to 16, one more than 2018-19.

The breakdown of players is interesting though - seven over 30s and eight under 23s (nine if Adaramola plays). Not a single Irish player currently aged 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 or 29 has played in the Premier League this season. 

I suspect nine Irish under 23s playing in the league would actually represent a good year compared to others - maybe Tets has the numbers for that?
yep, currently eight Irish players under the age of 23 have appeared in this season's Premier League - Caoimhin Kelleher, Will Smallbone, Aaron Connolly, Nathan Collins, Adam Idah, Andrew Omobamidele, Evan Ferguson, and Tony Springett - Adaramola will be the ninth.
That's actually the most since the 2011/12 season, when eleven U23s played at least once - James McCarthy, David Meyler, Ciaran Clark, Shane Duffy, Seamus Coleman, Matt Doherty, Michael Harriman, James McClean, Anthony Forde, Will Keane, and Samir Carruthers
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 12:22pm
Thanks for that. That 11/12 crop was a decent bunch, plenty of players there that went on to have good international careers. Unfortunately we didn't produce much after that for years until the current bunch came along.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 12:25pm

Thanks for that. That 11/12 crop was a decent bunch, plenty of players there that went on to have good international careers. Unfortunately we didn't produce much after that for years until the current bunch came along.

Hence why we are where we are unfortunately.

We have seen 8 players under 23 play PL football this season. For context Scotland have had 4 Wales have had 3 and NI have had O. According to transfermarkt we have had more then the other 3 home nations put together. 

Promising signs and Scotland are a decent benchmark having a real renaissance as regards producing young talent again.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

We have seen 8 players under 23 play PL football this season. For context Scotland have had 4 Wales have had 3 and NI have had O. According to transfermarkt we have had more then the other 3 home nations put together. 

Promising signs and Scotland are a decent benchmark having a real renaissance as regards producing young talent again.

Scotland and Wales are producing a plethora of players who get signed by big clubs; Aaron Hickey at Bologna looks like he'll be the latest. We may have more younger lads featuring but, let's be honest, it could go either way with the majority of them. Molumby got token game time last season but it looks like Championship football could be his ceiling. Connolly has gone backwards. Before that you had lads like Derrick Williams, Anthony Forde, Aaron Doran, Reece Grego-Cox, Michael Harriman etc etc who never pushed on after getting minutes in the PL.
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 1:07pm

Scotland and Wales are producing a plethora of players who get signed by big clubs; Aaron Hickey at Bologna looks like he'll be the latest. We may have more younger lads featuring but, let's be honest, it could go either way with the majority of them. Molumby got token game time last season but it looks like Championship football could be his ceiling. Connolly has gone backwards. Before that you had lads like Derrick Williams, Anthony Forde, Aaron Doran, Reece Grego-Cox, Michael Harriman etc etc who never pushed on after getting minutes in the PL.

Bit much to describe Wales and Scotland as producing a plethora of players at big clubs. I'd much rather have Nathan Collins at Burnley than someone like Ben Woodburn at Liverpool. These players tend to be overhyped based off a few cup minutes with a big club
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 1:51pm
Scotland have produced a few alright, but they seem to keep producing left backs. Outside of left back they don't have too many at big clubs, just McTominay that is playing regularly at a top 6 team I think. I like McGinn a lot also, but he's not at a Champions League club or anywhere close to it.

Welsh players are fashionable at the moment off the back of Bale and Ramsay. They also tend to be overhyped though as a result, there's a trend of their players getting the big moves or a few breakthrough games and then not delivering - Dan James, Joe Rodon, Ethan Ampadu, Ben Woodburn and so on. Brennan Johnson is probably the one young Welsh player I particularly rate at the moment, the others still have it all to do.

GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 6:28pm

Home nations Dead
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by GreenDodger93 GreenDodger93 wrote:

We have seen 8 players under 23 play PL football this season. For context Scotland have had 4 Wales have had 3 and NI have had O. According to transfermarkt we have had more then the other 3 home nations put together. 

Home nations Dead
 Dead
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 10:49pm
Ban him ffs
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 2:55pm
Big blow for the u21 and Colm Whelan who done his Cruciate.  Looked to be on the move in the summer too.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 1:10pm

Big blow for the u21 and Colm Whelan who done his Cruciate.  Looked to be on the move in the summer too.

Would this potentially open up a place in the squad for Springett? Gutted Whelan is injured horrible timing for him too. Was about to manufacture a good move for himself to the next level.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 1:52pm
Awful for Whelan.

Would expect Johnny Kenny to get the call up, 4 goals in 5 games for the U19s this year (& the game he didn't score in was the England one where he went off injured after 30mins, but he'd already hit the post). As well as Evan Ferguson to return.

Springett is a winger, so wouldn't be a replacement for Whelan.

There'll be a major turnover of the U21s squad after the June games finish. I think only 6 or 7 current names will still be eligible for the next campaign (Ebosele, O'Neill, Odubeko, Ferguson, Phillips, Burns, Oko-flex - & those last 3 haven't played yet).

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 1:59pm

Would this potentially open up a place in the squad for Springett? Gutted Whelan is injured horrible timing for him too. Was about to manufacture a good move for himself to the next level.

Doubt it, you'd want a like for like replacement.

Whelan, Kayode and Odubeko were the 3 strikers in the last squad.

Ferguson was out injured, so you'd expect for him to come back in and the other 2 to remain.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 2:25pm
All 4 of Ferguson, Kayode, Odubeko & Whelan were called up the the 1 game vs Sweden (Ferguson pulled out), so in a 3 game window there's definitely room for Kenny to be added.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

There'll be a major turnover of the U21s squad after the June games finish. I think only 6 or 7 current names will still be eligible for the next campaign (Ebosele, O'Neill, Odubeko, Ferguson, Phillips, Burns, Oko-flex - & those last 3 haven't played yet).

That's a strong attacking three right there.
When does the next campaign start?
A huge shakeup to that squad as you said.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 2:37pm
There is no fear of a lack of depth in attacking areas anyways that's for sure. Midfield might be a different proposition next time around alright. Suspect Joe Hodge will be the first choice midfielder if he can stay fit that is. Unless there's someone stand out I am missing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 275276277278279 329>
  Share Topic