You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 273274275276277 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Lee Harkin signs a new contract with Wolves. He is described as "Northern Irish" in the press release though. 

Well he is from Derry, so technically true. Wasnt it reported the other week too Northern Ireland were in his ear about switching?

Must be part of their one-way gentleman's agreement.
Sponsored Links

TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

First I've heard of him myself. What's his Irish connection or is he Irish born 

Look up his Twitter for the union jacks next to tricolours & you'll get an idea about him.

Tbf a number of dual-nationality players are at similar. If it was a Congolese born French player nobody would bat an eyelid. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 4:16pm

Lee Harkin signs a new contract with Wolves. He is described as "Northern Irish" in the press release though. 

Well he is from Derry, so technically true. Wasnt it reported the other week too Northern Ireland were in his ear about switching?

Yes, but he's only ever represented us internationally. Normally a player would be described by the country they are affiliated in press releases. You'd never see Shane Duffy described as Northern Irish by Brighton for example.

He was notably absent from the last Under 19 squad though. Based on his form for Wolves Under 23 he should have been involved (he's reportedly close to a first team call up). I think he's one we would need the FAI to be proactive about if we want to keep him.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 4:29pm

Yes, but he's only ever represented us internationally. Normally a player would be described by the country they are affiliated in press releases. You'd never see Shane Duffy described as Northern Irish by Brighton for example.

He was notably absent from the last Under 19 squad though. Based on his form for Wolves Under 23 he should have been involved (he's reportedly close to a first team call up). I think he's one we would need the FAI to be proactive about if we want to keep him.

To be fair he has only played 24 minutes in an official friendly game for the u16s 4 years ago!

Its probably just a mistake on their behalf, unless something has gone on behind the scenes with NI / an IFA approach.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 12:24pm
Newcastle or Celtic, not sure which team is worse for a young Irish player. Torino offer probably thrown in the bin.

RoboCop signing for Newcastle from Galway.
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 1:11pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 2:47pm
Another goal from Lee Harkin for Wolves U23s, only 18 so surely options to get him involved again if he wants to be.

Joe Hodge consistently starting in CM too.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Another goal from Lee Harkin for Wolves U23s, only 18 so surely options to get him involved again if he wants to be.

Joe Hodge consistently starting in CM too.

On Harkin I had presumed he was involved with NI underage the way lads were talking on here. Has never featured for them since he played U16 for us. We do have an awful lot of attacking talent in the 03/04 born groups ( he might just be missing out due to this) surely the North he'd be playing for them recently if he was intending on declaring for them! 

I would be quietly optimistic looking at all that he could be with us yet it's definitely not cut and dry.

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Apr 2022 at 6:56pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 7:21pm
Harkin is apparently "focusing on his club career" at the moment (or whatever these lads say when they can't be arsed playing underage international football). Not beyond possibility that he features for Wolves before the end of the season. Also not beyond possibility that NI offer him a senior call up, which we just wouldn't be in a position to do, so we're at a bit of a disadvantage there.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 10:11pm

Harkin is apparently "focusing on his club career" at the moment (or whatever these lads say when they can't be arsed playing underage international football). Not beyond possibility that he features for Wolves before the end of the season. Also not beyond possibility that NI offer him a senior call up, which we just wouldn't be in a position to do, so we're at a bit of a disadvantage there.

That quote is not from the player. That quote is from a Belfast paper. How do you know that is even accurate or fair?

Our 19s are very strong in forward areas. Is he a better prospect than Armstrong, Kenny and Moran? If he weren't selected on that basis then would you know any better? 

We are in a situation now whereby we have good options at underage levels and don't need to pick prospects to keep them involved when we have other prospects. See also Charlie McCann. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

That quote is not from the player. That quote is from a Belfast paper. How do you know that is even accurate or fair?

Our 19s are very strong in forward areas. Is he a better prospect than Armstrong, Kenny and Moran? If he weren't selected on that basis then would you know any better? 

We are in a situation now whereby we have good options at underage levels and don't need to pick prospects to keep them involved when we have other prospects. See also Charlie McCann. 

Which is why I said apparently. Though, given how highly he is rated I'd be very surprised that, if available, we didn't pick him for the Under 19s. I don't think any of the three you have mentioned have done any more than him to warrant selection.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 10:47pm

Which is why I said apparently. Though, given how highly he is rated I'd be very surprised that, if available, we didn't pick him for the Under 19s. I don't think any of the three you have mentioned have done any more than him to warrant selection.

Really? Fair enough. It is all about opinions. But Andrew Moran, in particular, is a cracking prospect at 23s level and has been for a while. I could make points for the other two but I will leave it there at Moran. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 11:18pm

Really? Fair enough. It is all about opinions. But Andrew Moran, in particular, is a cracking prospect at 23s level and has been for a while. I could make points for the other two but I will leave it there at Moran. 

And Johnny Kenny has 4 goals in 5 games, so he's more than earned his U19s spot.
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 7:43pm
Another goal for Wolves U23 from Lee Harkin.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Harry Halwax on the bench for QPR today. 

Didn't notice he went back across to the UK.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 9:15pm

Jeff will show him how to avoid getting splinters.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 9:25pm
Halwax, Hendrick and Hourihane all on the bench. If I was on trial for my life, I'd choose that law firm to represent me.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 9:45pm

Didn't notice he went back across to the UK.
Signed for their academy side in January
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 273274275276277 329>
  Share Topic