Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 260261262263264 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 7:15pm
Don't want to comment too much on this but the possible low transfer fee is disappointing but the only other option was to leave Cathal on amateur status or else he remained a free agent and he went on trial with another club. Stephen Ireland and his agency will always look out for "his" players but league of Ireland clubs really need to get their act together and offer longer contracts.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sponsored Links

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 10:19pm
If this AC Milan thing was always on the cards, what was the purpose of the Leverkusen trial last week? Pimped out to the bitter end it seems. 

The very best of luck to the lad but I hope this SIRE 7 group he's associated himself with, truly have the best interests of his career at heart over the next few years. 

I would imagine over half of these trials Heffernan and the other players under the SIRE 7 banner have had in recent times have had nothing to do with the players abilities and has more to do with a persistent advisor being onto clubs asking for a trial spot. Certainly seems to be the case with any players linked to Stephen Ireland. I would imagine lots of these clubs are just blindly seeing the players. 

To me, it seems as if Stephen Ireland is pimping these lads out to a variety of clubs in the hope that one of them gets lucky and gets a contract and in turn lines his own pockets. 

I wish him the very best, I truly do. Its great to see a Cork Man on the world stage but God I hope its a move that's being made for the right reasons. 

Edited by ShamtheRam - 30 Jan 2022 at 10:31pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

If this AC Milan thing was always on the cards, what was the purpose of the Leverkusen thing last week? Pimped out to the bitter end it seems. 

The very best of luck to the lad but I hope this SIRE 7 group he's associated himself with, truly have the best interests of his career at heart over the next few years. 

I would imagine over half of these trials Heffernan and the other players under the SIRE 7 banner have had in recent times have had nothing to do with the players abilities and has more to do with a persistent advisor being onto clubs asking for a trial spot. Certainly seems to be the case with any players linked to Stephen Ireland. I would imagine lots of these clubs are just blindly seeing the players. 

To me, it seems as if Stephen Ireland is pimping these lads out to a variety of clubs in the hope that one of them gets lucky and gets a contract and in turn lines his own pockets. 

I wish him the very best, I truly do. Its great to see a Cork Man on the world stage but God I hope its a move that's being made for the right reasons. 

Good post, can't argue with any of that.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

If this AC Milan thing was always on the cards, what was the purpose of the Leverkusen thing last week? Pimped out to the bitter end it seems. 

Really? The post is speculative and based on zero evidence... its just a poor opinion.
Theres actually quite a bit of evidence actually. Take a look at the SIRE 7 Instagram page. Every week it's a lad going on trial after trial after trial and never anything to show for it. Just read into the AC Milan move, apparently its been on the cards for a number of weeks, yet young Heff spent last week at Bayer Leverkusen? Where is the protection for the player ahead of a big move? 
I know of an individual whose also had dealings with the group for a club they are at and some of the strokes they've attempted are outrageous. This is no place to go into detail on it but as unprofessional as it comes. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Really? The post is speculative and based on zero evidence... its just a poor opinion.

It's a Irish football forum. If you dont want opinions, what is the point of the whole thing? Are you looking for factual based articles on every post?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 10:39pm
it's hard to know. But the story a few days ago was that AC didn't want him. Now after further discussions they're taking him, but just for a 6 month trial period. Gets him in the shop window and maybe someone else will take a punt on him in the summer if AC pass on him again.

Another season with Cork possibly wouldn't have been the worst thing here.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 12:32am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

it's hard to know. But the story a few days ago was that AC didn't want him. Now after further discussions they're taking him, but just for a 6 month trial period. Gets him in the shop window and maybe someone else will take a punt on him in the summer if AC pass on him again.

Another season with Cork possibly wouldn't have been the worst thing here.

He would have been in Corks U19s training what three nights a week compared to the professional training he's gonna be getting at AC Milan.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 8:30am

If this AC Milan thing was always on the cards, what was the purpose of the Leverkusen trial last week? Pimped out to the bitter end it seems. 

Is your beef with Ireland? Lads have been going on multiple trials for years. OK maybe not to the usual clubs. probably due to brexit more than anything.  but that might not be a bad thing. 
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 9:36am
I don't know any of the details obviously but it seems strange that one of the hottest underage prospects in Ireland, the captain of the U17 national team, is on a contract with a LOI club that has only 6 months to run.
I understand that clubs cant be putting all their young players on long contracts but come on, surely this lad should have been tied down to a 3-4 year contract.
For all the praise St Pats got last week for how they handled the Abankwah transfer, Cork seem to have done exactly the opposite and lecft a huge talent leave for peanuts....
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 9:45am
Deji Sotona signing for Brentford on loan with obligation to buy.

Edited by King_Kenny - 31 Jan 2022 at 9:47am
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 10:21am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Is your beef with Ireland? Lads have been going on multiple trials for years. OK maybe not to the usual clubs. probably due to brexit more than anything.  but that might not be a bad thing. 
These lads are bouncing from trial to trial to trial. His page then makes a big song and dance out of it and 9 times out of 10 we never see or hear of the player going back to the club. To me looking in from the outside, the sheer amount of trials these players are being sent on is nothing more than a PR stunt for his agency. 
If you're really wanted by these clubs you don't bounce from club to club. 

As I said above, its great for Heffernan but I hope its the right move for him and not the most financially beneficial move for his management team.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 10:29am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I don't know any of the details obviously but it seems strange that one of the hottest underage prospects in Ireland, the captain of the U17 national team, is on a contract with a LOI club that has only 6 months to run.
I understand that clubs cant be putting all their young players on long contracts but come on, surely this lad should have been tied down to a 3-4 year contract.
For all the praise St Pats got last week for how they handled the Abankwah transfer, Cork seem to have done exactly the opposite and lecft a huge talent leave for peanuts....

Would be weird to sign a contract that runs out mid season. He'd surely have signed an 18 month contract to bring him up to the end of this season.

I'm sure Cork would have loved if Heffernan signed a four year deal, but him and his agent aren't gonna be that stupid and even if a longer contract was signed means nothing when you've a 50k release clause.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 10:36am

Did he ever feature for Nice
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 10:40am

I presume Brentford are still doing their money ball style data analysis on new signings. It would be interesting to see their thoughts on what he has to offer.
El Puto Amo
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Did he ever feature for Nice

I don't believe so.
Trained a bit with the first team but I don't think he ever even made the bench.

Hopefully will settle well into the Brentford youth structure and we'll see him called up to an U19 camp this year, if he's up to the standard.
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 10:55am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I’m not as clued up on the laws in Ireland but most countries don’t allow 16 year olds to sign 3-4 year contracts. Most don’t even allow 16 year olds to sign professional deals. In the UK, you have to be 17 to sign professional terms and they are maxed at 2 year deals. You have to be 18 to sign long term deals. I’m assuming Ireland must have similar safeguards in place to protect minors. 

As for the players going on trials stuff, 100s of players go on trial every week to various clubs. My mates were being flown into England from Canada to trial around the country when we were younger and the majority led to nothing. This isn’t anything new from Stephen Ireland, it’s how the system has worked for years. Virtually every good youth player in the UK who isn’t already at a big club will have trialled with all of United, Liverpool, City etc. They can’t all be signed.  

Edited by IrishCanadian - 31 Jan 2022 at 10:56am
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 11:04am
No I'm sure Heffernan signed a contract that ran to the end of the season, I was referring to the fact he only had 6 months left now on it.

I know it's not easy when a player/agent stands firm and says no to signing a longer deal, I'm just struggling to figure out how Irish clubs can get more out of these deals
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I presume Brentford are still doing their money ball style data analysis on new signings. It would be interesting to see their thoughts on what he has to offer.
Done well on trial apparently. But again needs to be playing some decent standard of football soon. Looked at his record. Only played about 20 odd games for UTD underage. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 260261262263264 329>
  Share Topic