You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 254255256257258 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 11:10am
Yeah, missed Autumn windows with injuries but expect him with the 19's for the Elite phase in March.

Was looking for dates of those matches but nothing on UEFA yet, but would expect these, and the 17's, matches to be nailed down soon enough.

Edited by Fozz - 11 Jan 2022 at 11:10am
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 11:16am
Update on Jamie Bowden.

Now this lad hasn't featured in a green jersey since Autumn '19, but has been getting senior football in L2 this season, and if he were to be playing in L1, then he should certainly be on Jim Crawford's radar in March.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 11:40am
Surprising one, as he apparently was no more than average for Oldham. But they must have a League 1 or similar standard club lined up for him.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 11:54am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Surprising one, as he apparently was no more than average for Oldham. But they must have a League 1 or similar standard club lined up for him.

Oldham at the very bottom of L2, so maybe their style doesn't suit Bowden, who appears to be a more refined ball-playing midfielder.

Am speculating, and a L1 move to a better footballing team could show more of what he has to offer.

Brings back up that theory that Prem-Academy players may not have the best atributes to tough it in the lower-leagues, especially players who want the ball to feet and players around them who want similar.

Bowden started most matches for Oldham, so you have to consider that a successful half-season loan so worth watching to see where he goes next, and if he features in the next 21's squad.

Edited by Fozz - 11 Jan 2022 at 11:55am
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 11:56am
Originally posted by You Tell <b>Me You Tell Me wrote:

Surprising one, as he apparently was no more than average for Oldham.
But they must have a League 1 or similar standard club lined up for him.

Call him up!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I think it was just Hibs and Celtic in for him TBH. Yes very much heart over head decision and not thought through his pathway to the first team fiven Celtics rep. Hopefully with a lot of hard work and a bit of luck he will make it.
I keep thinking if he stuck with Sligo Rovers another season or half season he would have had a lot more options and interest especially if he kept up his second half of last season form.

Strike while the iron is hot. Plenty of LOI players who were close to UK moves but fell through and then get stuck in LOI. Everyone's dream in irelend is to play football in UK. You take the chance when it arises. Fans like us are a bit deluded when it comes to how we think footballers should manage their career 

I understand that side of it too but unless he got injured I think he was always destined  to go given his natural talent/ability he showed so far. I am outside looking in and don't have any of the facts.
He got a great deal, 5 years, probably on a lot more money than he would make at Sligo Rovers. But you still have to question did he and the people close to him think of the long term outcome of getting into the first team.
Other players in the past have weighed up and been strategic with their options of going to a bigger club or the smaller club then went with the smaller club because of the more realistic percentage of making the first team.
Hibs have just over forty players on their books, between first team and development teams. Celtic have twice that number.

Anyways I hope it works out for Johnny Kenny and see him in the  senior international team as it has been years since there has been a Sligo man in it.

I get the choice between Celtic and Hibs you could be a bit more strategic depending on what both we’re offering. But staying with Sligo versus going abroad I think that is where you wouldn’t really expect any Irish player in a similar circumstance (including finishing his leaving cert) not taking the opportunity to try it in the SPL. 
I think we are going to see a lot more moves like this now where Irish players stay with the LOi side until they finish their leaving cert here and then go to England at 18. 

Ya, I was hoping he would stay at least for a half season, until summer, at Sligo Rovers. But that is pure bias as a Sligo Rovers fan, plus There is no recognised Striker or centre forward in the squad with Kenny gone now. From the players point of view you are right it is very understandable.
Yes that has been the good thing about brexit, in terms for Irish players not allowed to go to the UK until they are 18. Hopefully LOI clubs become cleverer, get these players under contract and get fees for players rather than them leaving for free. 
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 3:32pm
https://www.the42.ie/killian-phillips-crystal-palace-drogheda-united-5651159-Jan2022/

Anyone seen this lad pay? Off to Crystal palace.

Edited by 10 Box - 11 Jan 2022 at 3:32pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Update on Jamie Bowden.

Now this lad hasn't featured in a green jersey since Autumn '19, but has been getting senior football in L2 this season, and if he were to be playing in L1, then he should certainly be on Jim Crawford's radar in March.

Because U19s football was suspended for 2 years between his last game in November 2019 until October/November 2021.

Hes fallen now fallen into the gap of being too old for the u19s and not good enough for the u21s.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

https://www.the42.ie/killian-phillips-crystal-palace-drogheda-united-5651159-Jan2022/

Anyone seen this lad pay? Off to Crystal palace.

Seems to quite a lot of lads going over recently. Palace did well picking up Jake O'Brien and he's done well for their U23's. No doubt they are hoping for something similar with Phillips.

Not all moves will work obviously, but with more lads like this getting a shot at a big club a bit later in life than they might have done in the past, hopefully a few work out and we get some Premiership level players out of them
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:03pm
You'd wonder how much chance some of these lads moving to EPL and Championship teams have of making it at a decent level there. Hopefully there will be the odd success but it feels like some are being brought in just to fill up Under 23 squads - there was some suggestion that James Brown was only getting a 6 month contract at Blackburn. That's a lot of upheaval for him if he's only guaranteed a club until the summer.

I know he has had some injury issues but when you see how little impact Danny Grant has made at Huddersfield, you'd question what hope most of these lads have.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

You'd wonder how much chance some of these lads moving to EPL and Championship teams have of making it at a decent level there. Hopefully there will be the odd success but it feels like some are being brought in just to fill up Under 23 squads - there was some suggestion that James Brown was only getting a 6 month contract at Blackburn. That's a lot of upheaval for him if he's only guaranteed a club until the summer.

I know he has had some injury issues but when you see how little impact Danny Grant has made at Huddersfield, you'd question what hope most of these lads have.

More than some. Badly tore his hamstring the week he signed for the club in Jan was out for 3 months. Finally came back towards the end of last season and then tore his hamstring in his other leg! Got back fit and ready for preseason in August before contracting a very bad dose of Covid that caused inflammation of his heart. Hes only been back with the B team for a month now rebuilding his fitness. Poor lad never got a break!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 7:38pm
Nice to see the younger group coming through being recognised by football watchers outside the country.

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:06pm
https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/january/14/wright-returns-to-villa/

Tyreik Wright has returned to Villa from his loan at Salford City. 

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

8 starts and 10 more appearances off the bench, with one goal.
Not great but not terrible and will have been a good experience.
Where to next?

A curious player when I seen him for the 21's.  Can be utterly anonymous, or driving at the FB causing big problems.

Edited by Fozz - 14 Jan 2022 at 1:43pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 1:36pm
Was in and out of the team at Salford, so not overly surprised to see him back at Villa. Though it does seem he was recalled rather than Salford being happy to see him go. Another loan maybe, or else just back to the Under 23s. A year on loan in the LoI Premier would do him no harm at all I'd say.

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

8 starts and 10 more appearances off the bench, with one goal.
Not great but not terrible and will have been a good experience.
Where to next?

A curious player when I seen him for the 21's.  Can be utterly anonymous, or driving at the FB causing big problems.

I'd agree with everything you've said there. I've seen a bit of him at underage for us and he either looks like our most dangerous player or the first man off. He improved a lot of the years between 17s and 21s in that he looked like a light link up forward at 17s and he grew physically in that time to become a fairly explosive wide player- when on song. 

It will be interesting to see what Villa do with him next. I was surprised he went back to League Two as I thought the Walsall League Two loan last season would have been sufficient for him to kick up a division. They'll hardly fancy sending him for a third loan at that level... 
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 3:18pm
Always looks like the player that could have a great league of Ireland career or lower league career. 

Could totally be wrong 
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Boro beat Villa in the 23s today. 2-1. Both goals from Callum Kavanagh for Boro with one a penalty.  He's picking up where he left off before the injury and was only 18 in September. 

Seems that Kavanagh scored another two goals; against Sunderland u23s this time with the score being 2-1 and one goal a penalty... 

Seems consistent now that he's back from injury, definitely one to watch.
Great stuff. If he continues his form and stays injury free, I wonder will he make the bench or his first team debut before the the season finishes. Middlesbrough have signing a few forward players recently tho.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 254255256257258 329>
  Share Topic