You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 253254255256257 329>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 10:45am
Daft move, he isn't going to go into celtics first team sqaud. He might not play in the higher English leagues initially but at least they would give him better loan opportunities.
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

5 year contract for Johnny Kenny at Celtic. Could still be playing in the Scottish lower leagues in 2027.

A move very much made with the heart and not the head.

Probably best financial offer on the table though. Most would make same decision 
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 11:25am
I think it was just Hibs and Celtic in for him TBH. Yes very much heart over head decision and not thought through his pathway to the first team fiven Celtics rep. Hopefully with a lot of hard work and a bit of luck he will make it.
I keep thinking if he stuck with Sligo Rovers another season or half season he would have had a lot more options and interest especially if he kept up his second half of last season form.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I think it was just Hibs and Celtic in for him TBH. Yes very much heart over head decision and not thought through his pathway to the first team fiven Celtics rep. Hopefully with a lot of hard work and a bit of luck he will make it.
I keep thinking if he stuck with Sligo Rovers another season or half season he would have had a lot more options and interest especially if he kept up his second half of last season form.

Strike while the iron is hot. Plenty of LOI players who were close to UK moves but fell through and then get stuck in LOI. Everyone's dream in irelend is to play football in UK. You take the chance when it arises. Fans like us are a bit deluded when it comes to how we think footballers should manage their career 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 1:26pm
But also, when you are lucky enough to have a choice, make sure you pick the right club in terms of career development - not necessarily the one that offers you the most money.
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

But also, when you are lucky enough to have a choice, make sure you pick the right club in terms of career development - not necessarily the one that offers you the most money.

Maybe it was the best offer for his development. A 5 year contract at Celtic can't be sniffed at. Its also an entirely different prospect to the Neil Lennon side which afolabi, connell and o connor joined. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 3:44pm
Possibly even worse than that now to be honest. Celtic have already brought in the three new Japanese lads, are apparently in for an Australian from a US team as well as buying Kenny, and it's only the second week of the window. They've gone from taking punts on European players to doing it on a global level under the new guy. Meanwhile last summer's punts from Sheffield Wednesday are already being cut adrift by the club.

Any transfer *could* be the best transfer for his development and it's obviously not 100% possible to prove otherwise. But Celtic's track record over the last decade or so suggests they should be near the bottom of the list for any young Irish footballer trying to make it in the pro game.

Edited by You Tell Me - 09 Jan 2022 at 3:45pm
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Strike while the iron is hot. Plenty of LOI players who were close to UK moves but fell through and then get stuck in LOI. Everyone's dream in irelend is to play football in UK. You take the chance when it arises. Fans like us are a bit deluded when it comes to how we think footballers should manage their career 

I understand that side of it too but unless he got injured I think he was always destined  to go given his natural talent/ability he showed so far. I am outside looking in and don't have any of the facts.
He got a great deal, 5 years, probably on a lot more money than he would make at Sligo Rovers. But you still have to question did he and the people close to him think of the long term outcome of getting into the first team.
Other players in the past have weighed up and been strategic with their options of going to a bigger club or the smaller club then went with the smaller club because of the more realistic percentage of making the first team.
Hibs have just over forty players on their books, between first team and development teams. Celtic have twice that number.

Anyways I hope it works out for Johnny Kenny and see him in the  senior international team as it has been years since there has been a Sligo man in it.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 9:20pm
19 yo striker Ethon Varian doing well in Scottish Championship even though hasnt scored many

Edited by JoxerDaly - 09 Jan 2022 at 9:21pm
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 9:26pm
Any update on Bosun Lawal, not been in the Celtic B team for months, Vata missing lately also
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:03am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

19 yo striker Ethon Varian doing well in Scottish Championship even though hasnt scored many

The assertions regarding playing well but not scoring are supported on this fans forum thread: http://www.raithfantalk.s2.bizhat.com/raithfantalk-ftopic7228.html

Hopefully the confidence and certainty of being there for the rest of the season will help in front of goal. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:13am
"Ethon Varian"

Sounds like a Game of Thrones character.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:34am

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I understand that side of it too but unless he got injured I think he was always destined  to go given his natural talent/ability he showed so far. I am outside looking in and don't have any of the facts.
He got a great deal, 5 years, probably on a lot more money than he would make at Sligo Rovers. But you still have to question did he and the people close to him think of the long term outcome of getting into the first team.
Other players in the past have weighed up and been strategic with their options of going to a bigger club or the smaller club then went with the smaller club because of the more realistic percentage of making the first team.
Hibs have just over forty players on their books, between first team and development teams. Celtic have twice that number.

Anyways I hope it works out for Johnny Kenny and see him in the  senior international team as it has been years since there has been a Sligo man in it.

I get the choice between Celtic and Hibs you could be a bit more strategic depending on what both we’re offering. But staying with Sligo versus going abroad I think that is where you wouldn’t really expect any Irish player in a similar circumstance (including finishing his leaving cert) not taking the opportunity to try it in the SPL. 
I think we are going to see a lot more moves like this now where Irish players stay with the LOi side until they finish their leaving cert here and then go to England at 18. 
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Any update on Bosun Lawal, not been in the Celtic B team for months, Vata missing lately also

Seems like he is injured at the moment. This article mentions that he thinks he has been doing well and has trained a few times with the first team

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:31pm
Boro beat Villa in the 23s today. 2-1. Both goals from Callum Kavanagh for Boro with one a penalty.  He's picking up where he left off before the injury and was only 18 in September. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 10 Jan 2022 at 8:31pm
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 10:07am
Has Kavanagh been involved with us for underage? He didnt feature in the recent U19 squads for the Euro qualifiers. Some good attacking talent already in that U19 squad with Kevin Zefi, Johnny Kenny, Sinclair Armstrong and Andy Moran.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 10:12am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Has Kavanagh been involved with us for underage? He didnt feature in the recent U19 squads for the Euro qualifiers. Some good attacking talent already in that U19 squad with Kevin Zefi, Johnny Kenny, Sinclair Armstrong and Andy Moran.

Certainly remember him playing underage and pics with his da after the game. U15s possibly.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 10:20am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

He's played with the U17s in qualifiers and was on stand by for the U19s back in November. Just back from injury I'm sure which kept him out for months, and would have missed camps. Hopefully we see more of him in March because he looks quality at underage with Boro.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 253254255256257 329>
  Share Topic