You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Rumour seems to be that Johnny Kenny has decided to sign for Celtic. Presumably to join their B squad in the Scottish Lowland League. You'd wonder who is advising these lads. Swapping the League of Ireland Premier Division for the fifth tier of Scottish football and a club with a very poor track record of bringing through young players is not a good career decision.

Not confirmed though, just widely rumoured at this stage.

Alternatively, if he is good enough, he will play in the 1st team like Scales.

You really think Celtic are going to have an 18 year old unknown (outside of the League of Ireland) leading the line for them in the league this season? Not a hope.

Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

yeah havent seen Scales playing in the low land league as many posters told us he would be when he signed...in fact pretty sure have seen him play european and league matches for Celtic.

Anyone who told you that doesn't know much about the Celtic B team setup - it's for Under 20s and Scales is 23.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 3:41pm
I don't know and neither do you!

He is only 18 after all. He's still a kid. So I wouldn't be writing him off just yet. It comes down to being good enough, if he's good enough he will get his chance like many others have.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:39pm
Unless he has gaurentees that he's going to be in and around the first team*, this is a poor move. Another year or two playing in the LOi would be more beneficial to his development than slogging away in the Scottish 5th tier, I dont care what anyone says.

*Celtic have signed a Japanese striker in the window already so this is unlikely
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 4:17pm
Alex Gilbert the next man sent back from his loan - he was at League 2 Swindon Town but wasn't playing much. Has only just turned 20 but unsuccessful League 2 loan moves are never a great look. Tyriek Wright is another player having an average enough League 2 loan spell this season.

Between Odubeko, Masterson and Gilbert that's unsuccessful Championship, League 1 and League 2 loan moves for Irish players all ended early today.
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 4:56pm
On more positive loan news Sinclair Armstrong has been recalled by QPR from Torquay.  Torquay wanted to hold onto him:

Will be interesting to see what happens next, if they hold onto him or, more likely, loan him back out higher up the food chain.
musicinmouth View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 12:51pm
Liam Delap linked with a loan to Southampton. Hopefully the Irish contingent might have an influence on his international decision.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 1:26pm
Seems like a long shot but he's highly rated so if he declared for us, it would be a massive bonus!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 4:18pm
Delap's old lad also played for Southampton. God knows this might be the only team they both end up lining out for... 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 5:46pm
Interview with Ross Tierney on OTB AM today. He seems a cracking character. Very smart, articulate, honest and very funny. He provided some great insights. Stated that he had better financial offers than Motherwell but some were promising 23s football and he wanted first team but that Motherwell's offer was "enough to pay the bills." Said Mandroiu is the best player he has played with. Spoke highly of the quality in the LOI. Chatted a little about his COVID infection. It was mentioned that he has two kids. 

Well worth checking out. Very entertaining. It is about 44 and a bit minutes into today's podcast at the link below

Edit: easy access here https://youtu.be/JEDKXy79O8w

Edited by Eoink21 - 05 Jan 2022 at 5:52pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Interview with Ross Tierney on OTB AM today. He seems a cracking character. Very smart, articulate, honest and very funny. He provided some great insights. Stated that he had better financial offers than Motherwell but some were promising 23s football and he wanted first team but that Motherwell's offer was "enough to pay the bills." Said Mandroiu is the best player he has played with. Spoke highly of the quality in the LOI. Chatted a little about his COVID infection. It was mentioned that he has two kids. 

Well worth checking out. Very entertaining. It is about 44 and a bit minutes into today's podcast at the link below

I came across this article which is a couple of months old on the back of that podcast which includes some dreadful facts about his brother and son. Incredible resilience to rise to where he now has, especially given that he could have just been loaned out by Bohs this season and, instead, he was on course for a move during the summer before it came about in the winter. 

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/he-died-right-in-front-of-me-i-blamed-myself-ross-tierneys-rocky-road-to-dublin-decider-41093833.html

Edited by Eoink21 - 05 Jan 2022 at 5:51pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 6:35pm
David Odumosu on trial at Bolton.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 8:01pm
See Mason O'Malley is in the EFL team of the week. Only League 2 but he's so young if he gets a run between now and the end of the season he could attract interest higher up the chain pretty quickly at his age. 
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 11:14am
Killian Cahill gone to Brighton from Shamrock Rovers.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 2:12pm
Sinclair Armstrong back from loan and on to the QPR bench today.

Ferguson on the bench again for Brighton.

Edited by You Tell Me - 08 Jan 2022 at 2:13pm
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 2:18pm
saw that very highly thought of at Qpr.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 3:37pm
Gardner-Hickman starting centre mid against Brighton today.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 8:09pm
5 year contract for Johnny Kenny at Celtic. Could still be playing in the Scottish lower leagues in 2027.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

5 year contract for Johnny Kenny at Celtic. Could still be playing in the Scottish lower leagues in 2027.

A move very much made with the heart and not the head.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 329>
  Share Topic