You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242243244245246 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 1:46pm
Wonder if we'll see Connell and Johansson come back into the 21s?
Both getting some games for their clubs now but the midfield is sewn up with Kilkenny and Coventry guaranteed to start (unless Kilkenny is promoted).

Gilsenan is a big loss to the 19s.

Lawal also is an open question - probably be with the 19s?

As for fast-tracking players, Moran has been with the 21's but only got scraps of minutes so I'd rather see him back with the 19's and getting starts if good enough.
Ferguson looked lost last day out but am not blaming him - we were just poor in that match and looked bereft of ideas for how to best utilise him.
I'd really like to see Obafemi in the 21s...

Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 1:59pm
Johansson will have a reasonable chance to get back into the Under 21 squad I'd say. Connell seems to have fallen down the pecking order though. Joe Hodge will hopefully come back from injury in the new year, he does seem to be injured a worrying amount of the time though. Kilkenny, Coventry and Watson seem to be preferred at the moment, then maybe Johansson if there's room for another.

Smallbone is another who should hopefully be with the Under 21s this time. Ebosele to come back in also. He might challenge O'Connor for the right back position, although he would be an option on the wing also further forward where we look weak enough.

For what it's worth, this team is currently under 21 eligible for us:

Bazunu
Ebosele Collins Omobamidele Bagan
                  Kilkenny Knight
                       Smallbone
              Parrott Idah Connolly

Seven senior internationals, six players that have played in the Premier League, four more that are currently regulars or semi regulars in the Championship and the eleventh man is Gavin Bazunu. Three more championship players currently getting first team game time in McGuinness, Coventry and Obafemi all eligible too.

What might have been if only our senior team had been in better shape. Unfortunately we produced very little in the 93 to 97 age groups and our under 21 squad is taking a hammering now as a result.

Edited by You Tell Me - 02 Nov 2021 at 2:14pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 2:42pm
And four of that XI are all underage for U21s again next year (Bazunu, Ebosele, Omobamidele, and Parrott) with Ebosele being the only one of that four not involved with the senior team.

It's a massive shame we didn't get to see these lads coming through at U21s together as a team for longer because of the years of neglect from those in charge. Would have finally qualified for an U21s tournament.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 5:55pm
Things look a bit brighter now for the future though. For example, any good young keeper coming through wont be fast tracked to the senior team, he will play all the way through to U21. Same prob can be said of young centre backs. Someone like Garcia McNulty or young Heffernan at Cork wont need to be fast tracked to the senior team at 19 like Omobamidele was. Qulaity players like Cullen and Knight in midfield might help prevent a young CM player from jumping up too soon...
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Things look a bit brighter now for the future though. For example, any good young keeper coming through wont be fast tracked to the senior team, he will play all the way through to U21. Same prob can be said of young centre backs. Someone like Garcia McNulty or young Heffernan at Cork wont need to be fast tracked to the senior team at 19 like Omobamidele was. Qulaity players like Cullen and Knight in midfield might help prevent a young CM player from jumping up too soon...

I Don't get the thought pattern towards young players here. If Kenny and his staff see fit to promote a young player to the senior squad (regardless of age or experience) surely that's where we want to be... A constant conveyor belt promoting youth up the age groups, not based on age but based on Talent and ability. 

Underage is what it is. We could qualify for an under age tournament. And then what? If there's one thing that the last 2 years has proven (especially with our strikers) it's that underage prowess means nothing when compared to playing full senior football.

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 7:09pm
If an u19 player is better than what we have in the senior team, then of course he should be promoted up, rather than being stuck with the U19 or u21 for the sake of it. My point was that if there is a decent 19 yr old midfield player but there are better senior internationals than him, he will stay with the underage group. Our u19 and u21 teams will be stronger if we have a strong senior team too. Because our senior team has been poor recently, we have had to promote some younger players earlier than we would normally do so.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 8:31pm
Goal for Evan Ferguson against Northampton in the Papa John's Trophy.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Wonder if we'll see Connell and Johansson come back into the 21s?
Both getting some games for their clubs now but the midfield is sewn up with Kilkenny and Coventry guaranteed to start (unless Kilkenny is promoted).

Gilsenan is a big loss to the 19s.

Lawal also is an open question - probably be with the 19s?

As for fast-tracking players, Moran has been with the 21's but only got scraps of minutes so I'd rather see him back with the 19's and getting starts if good enough.
Ferguson looked lost last day out but am not blaming him - we were just poor in that match and looked bereft of ideas for how to best utilise him.
I'd really like to see Obafemi in the 21s...

Ferguson looked lost like Kayode in the game beforehand. This seems to be a Crawford issue where our striker is getting hopelessly isolated more then a Ferguson issue. I honestly think Haaland would have looked lost against Montenegro playing in that formation. I do agree it's very early to be fast tracking him but I wouldn't judge him harshly on the last day.

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Nov 2021 at 9:21pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 9:30pm
I think it's a formation issue as much as anything. That 4-5-1/4-3-3 requires a particular type of forward to play the lone striker role and if you don't have someone who can play the position it doesn't work at all, they just end up looking isolated. There was a similar issue with Idah looking lost up top for our seniors a few months back. Thankfully the senior team has changed formation to something that suits us better, the under 21s should do similar - maybe try Ferguson and Kayode in a front 2.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think it's a formation issue as much as anything. That 4-5-1/4-3-3 requires a particular type of forward to play the lone striker role and if you don't have someone who can play the position it doesn't work at all, they just end up looking isolated. There was a similar issue with Idah looking lost up top for our seniors a few months back. Thankfully the senior team has changed formation to something that suits us better, the under 21s should do similar - maybe try Ferguson and Kayode in a front 2.

The minute we got a 2nd man up front against Montenegro think it was Whelan with Kayode it was a different animal we were midly unlucky we missed a penalty (can happen) think if Coventry puts that in we may well have won it. 

The senior team was the same with that formation oddly enough. Maybe it's a formation that doesn't suit us. I do think the 3-5-2/3-4-2-1 or the 3 at the back with wing backs suits our players and I think suits Ireland's strengths which is aggression in your face spirited real solid defensively hard workers in midfield etc.

You can pass the ball and play decent football while working to our strengths and mixing it up too.

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Nov 2021 at 10:13pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 7:05pm
Most eye catching thing happening tonight from an Irish perspective is Gardner Hickman playing for West Brom. Played for us at U19 level so is eligible. A left back too.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 12:56pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 1:16pm
Cormac Austin, 15 year old from West Belfast, playing for Linfield 
Snap him up before he gets capped by the North

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Cormac Austin, 15 year old from West Belfast, playing for Linfield 
Snap him up before he gets capped by the North

He'll probably start the Lithuania game so.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 6:08pm
While we are on the topic of potential NI/ROI eligible players do people have any idea what the story is with Darragh Burns? Looks a real prospect his stats for this season 6 goals and 9 assists in 27 games are lovely reading for a lad only turned 19. 

Shane Long born in 1987 to Aaron Connolly born in 2000 your talking 13 years between the last Irish born/homegrown attacker/forward to come through and play PL football. Outside of Sean Maguire can you name any now that even got to Championship level. Robinson etc are English born. McClean is an attacker technically although not a forward. 

I think Irish lads having to stay back until they are 18 will help in general but it will particularly benefit and help develop our young attacking players going forward like Kenny or Burns with Sligo and St Pats. English football is a rancid environment for young attackers atm as it's so cutthroat. 

Edited by kevin100 - 05 Nov 2021 at 6:09pm
DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 10:40pm
Kev as far as I knows he’s in the process of switching back to us.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 11:51pm
Burns is on the way to finalizing his switch to us. Crawford said it came too soon for this under 21 squad and he might have considered him if he were eligible. 

Fine player. Might be a little light weight but that's a grand complaint for someone of his age. Kenny probably the same. Easily fixed. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 9:52am
Ideal good to hear that lads. He is lightweight and an example of one who if going across the Irish Sea would rot away in the England underage set up
 Gets to develop here in men's football learn his trade and will build up over time. 

6 goals and 9 assists in 28 games is fair output hes very creative..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242243244245246 329>
  Share Topic