You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Mcnulty and conor Noss have said such things. Are we really in a position to say no thanks to them now? 

It would be great but not really a goer at the moment 
Well they should be challenged and if the quotes are true. Tell them to get to f*ck. the amount of money spent training and flying these chancers all over Europe is ridiculous!
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:25pm
Another dual nationality player has in fact a dual nationality, the only thing that’s shocking in the this is lads on here can’t understand it. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:54pm
"I feel Sevillian and Irish, both. A very good mix. Very proud, both of being Spanish and Irish. The truth is that in the end right now I am representing the Irish team, but I don't want to close the doors to the Spanish team ... I am happy and proud to represent Ireland, "

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

"I feel Sevillian and Irish, both. A very good mix. Very proud, both of being Spanish and Irish. The truth is that in the end right now I am representing the Irish team, but I don't want to close the doors to the Spanish team ... I am happy and proud to represent Ireland, "

So exactly what do you think he is saying there in terms of truly who he really wants to play for .
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 12:24am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Another dual nationality player has in fact a dual nationality, the only thing that’s shocking in the this is lads on here can’t understand it. 
The topic of dual nationality on here is consistently embarrassing. The eagerness to abuse literal kids and call them ****s and how they should f**k off because they have the audacity to be dual nationals is a joke. I’m not sure why any dual national would even want to represent Ireland when so many Irish will treat them like scum anyway. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:02am
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

The topic of dual nationality on here is consistently embarrassing. The eagerness to abuse literal kids and call them ****s and how they should f**k off because they have the audacity to be dual nationals is a joke. I’m not sure why any dual national would even want to represent Ireland when so many Irish will treat them like scum anyway. 

Agreed disgusting behavior.

You can be dual nationality and feel equally attached to both countries and heritage. Especially when its a mother or father rather than a grandparent.

Rice and Grealish were Granny rulers with loose ties to us at best. I can understand the frustration some might feel towards them.

But the likes of Johansson, Noss, MacNulty Garcia and Patrick Finn all have Irish parents and would have had a huge Irish upbringing.

Its not as straight forward for them.

My own nephew is half Polish. Born here to a Polish mother. Speaks fluent Polish but as Dublin as anything with his accent. Goes back and forth to his granny and grandad in Poland every few months, sees his Polish aunties, uncles and cousins. He supports Ireland and comes to games with us, but also likes Poland and supported them during the Euros and World Cup. If ever there was a tug of war between Ireland and Poland for him, he would genuinely be happy to play for either side but might ultimately want to chose the side that qualifiers for major tournaments.

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:55am
One of McNulty's parents, his father I think, is either Basque or Catalan and vehemently against him ever playing for Spain. That's the background to him playing for Ireland in the first place, as a kid who spoke no English. If he jumped ship it would cause serious internal family strife.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

So exactly what do you think he is saying there in terms of truly who he really wants to play for .

I dont really think anything about it to be honest. Hes an 18yo young lad born in Spain with dual nationality saying that he is happy and proud to represent Ireland yet wouldn't rule Spain out. That's it really. Good luck to wee fella regardless of what he does.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 30 Sep 2021 at 6:46am
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:43am

Why do we try to make a grey area out of something that isn't. It's exactly what everyone in their head is thinking... If Spain come calling I'm out of here.

Spain>Ireland - It is that basic in 99% of cases of dual nationality.

gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

One of McNulty's parents, his father I think, is either Basque or Catalan and vehemently against him ever playing for Spain. That's the background to him playing for Ireland in the first place, as a kid who spoke no English. If he jumped ship it would cause serious internal family strife.

He's from Seville. No one from a background that would "vehemently"be against someone in their family represent Spain would call their youngfella Anselmo. Especially if they're basque or catalan. It's like a unionist calling their son Padraig.
Danger here, OH NO
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

LOLLOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 10:12am

+1
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

<span style=": rgb248, 249, 250; color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: inherit; font-size: 24px; white-space: pre-wrap;">"I feel Sevillian and Irish, both. A very good mix. Very proud, both of being Spanish and Irish. The truth is that in the end right now I am representing the Irish team, but I don't want to close the doors to the Spanish team ... I am happy and proud to represent Ireland, "</span>

Why do we try to make a grey area out of something that isn't. It's exactly what everyone in their head is thinking... If Spain come calling I'm out of here.

Spain>Ireland - It is that basic in 99% of cases of dual nationality.

I agree. While I think that he would be proud to represent us if Spain don't ever come in for him, they would be his first choice. I also agree that in the vast majority of cases that dual nationality players know exactly who they would prefer to play for. The comments most of the time are usually pretty transparent. "I always dreamt of playing international football" or the likes. Eh, would that be for anyone in particular? I really don't know how many times this has to happen before people see it for what it is.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

+1

I dont think anyone suggested otherwise.

But using the irish underage system to benefit your own career when you see ireland as your second choice nationality is a little more on topic.

Maybe his words were badly chosen but I think its not unreasonable to derive what mcnulty said as, if Spain want me to play for them I would.

So depending on how his career goes, if he's good enough he'll go to Spain if not he'll settle for ireland.

I guess fans don't really like hearing such things which is not unreasonable 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 11:09am
Who said he's using Ireland to benefit his career? He said he's proud and happy to play for Ireland. He did not say he's happy to play for Ireland because it helps his career. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

+1

I dont think anyone suggested otherwise.

But using the irish underage system to benefit your own career when you see ireland as your second choice nationality is a little more on topic.

Maybe his words were badly chosen but I think its not unreasonable to derive what mcnulty said as, if Spain want me to play for them I would.

So depending on how his career goes, if he's good enough he'll go to Spain if not he'll settle for ireland.

I guess fans don't really like hearing such things which is not unreasonable 
Of course the truth is the Irish set up is casting it's net far and wide, which is a good thing imo. We will win some and lose some, but to blame 17 yos for agreeing to turn out for us despite not being born here is perverse and self defeating! get a grip lads, he was born in Spain, we approached him!
Idah Dream!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 10:04am
Cast a net far and wide I have no problem with, players representing ireland that were not born in ireland I have no problem with, however, players that are in the irish underage setup that have little desire to play for ireland but continue to take the place of a player who really does want to play is perverse in my opinion.

As an example grealish had represented ireland and was looking like a very promising propect, his brother was on this very forum stating that "he's happy to represent Ireland for now"

I call that looking for a way out while still taking up space. 

To suggest that other players like macnulty and noss are not thinking the same way is nieve. But I guess we need to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 6:38pm
Ireland need some young premier league quality players to through. I think the strongest candidates we have are beginning to come through

Gk - we have bazunu, Travers and Kelleher all of which have top ceilings. Competition in this area will see us ok for years.

Defenders - O'Shea, Omobamidele, Collins look like fantastic prospects with Scales, Dunne also making strides. Wing backs looks like it could be an issue a little further down the line

Midfield - knight and Smallbone (who was looking like breaking through before injury) seem to be the best hope for a consistent Premier league performer. 

Attack - usual suspects in Connolly, parrott and idah. But all are a ways away from being consistent premier league performers.

My top 3 best prospects would be 

1. O'shea 
2. Kelleher
3. Collins
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 329>
  Share Topic