You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234235236237238 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:44am
It's a very fair point. Troy was sent in at too high a level too soon and struggled, the concern was that he struggled at Ipswich as well until he finally found some form at the end of that loan, but overall he didn't have a great time there either. 

Hopefully those loans did have a positive impact though and have contributed to him doing much better this season. Either way, his performances this season have been very encouraging for a lad who is still a teenager. Hopefully he will continue his form with MK Dons and maybe get back to the Championship next season.
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:50am
Struggled to make an impact at Ipswich but they had the third lowest goals scored for a team in League One. Shows how better he's been this season when playing in a team that wants to try and play with the ball on the ground.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:53am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It's a very fair point. Troy was sent in at too high a level too soon and struggled, the concern was that he struggled at Ipswich as well until he finally found some form at the end of that loan, but overall he didn't have a great time there either. 

Hopefully those loans did have a positive impact though and have contributed to him doing much better this season. Either way, his performances this season have been very encouraging for a lad who is still a teenager. Hopefully he will continue his form with MK Dons and maybe get back to the Championship next season.

I could be wrong but I can't remember many 18 year olds making an impact at a Championship club on loan. And after that spell at Millwall, it was always going to be difficult to pick himself up and play his way into the Ipswich side after missing the first half of their season. 

He's showing well at League One but there will be bigger tests so I'm not getting carried away. A good Championship season at 20 would give much more reason to be cheerful. 

Interesting, however, that the Mk Dons fans on their forum are not  all convinced he will stay with them for the season. My thinking would be to let him there and hope he gets double digits in goals. That's a very solid foundation for him then going forward. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I could be wrong but I can't remember many 18 year olds making an impact at a Championship club on loan. And after that spell at Millwall, it was always going to be difficult to pick himself up and play his way into the Ipswich side after missing the first half of their season. 

He's showing well at League One but there will be bigger tests so I'm not getting carried away. A good Championship season at 20 would give much more reason to be cheerful. 

Interesting, however, that the Mk Dons fans on their forum are not  all convinced he will stay with them for the season. My thinking would be to let him there and hope he gets double digits in goals. That's a very solid foundation for him then going forward. 

Even the experience of training with a senior sqaud every week fighting for his place and getting gametime even if it's limited at times for an 18yo kid is a huge benefit. 

I was saying here last night I'd be hopeful that Parrott could kick on and maybe get 25 goal contributions for MK Dons this season. You'd be surprised how few 19yos/teens would even have the ability to drop to League 1 and do this it's a tough division. Brennan Johnson did it last year for Lincoln 25 goals/assists in 46 and he's considered a real decent prospect. 

Parrott has 6 in 9 now and that doesn't include the OG the penalty he himself won or the foul for the free last night. You can't even say 6 goals/assists flatters him. I hope he stays at MK Dons for the full year he's in a lovely spot and a full season potentially challenging for promotion as a key man would be a huge experience for him.

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Sep 2021 at 12:09pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 12:12pm

You'd assume Russell Martin will be looking at maybe bringing him to Swansea next season after bringing him to MK Dons this season. That's if MK Dons themselves don't get promoted.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

You'd assume Russell Martin will be looking at maybe bringing him to Swansea next season after bringing him to MK Dons this season. That's if MK Dons themselves don't get promoted.

Did something similar with the young RB at United Ethan Laird. MK Dons on loan last year and brought him to Swansea this year. 

That's plausible although I hope he doesn't get picked up in Jan. Scully the same leave them finish out this season and move up a division in the summer.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 12:32pm
I see Gardner-Hickman made the bench for West Brom last night. Anybody know anything about him? Seems to be Irish qualified judging by various ROI Twitter accounts.

Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 1:05pm
Know nothing about him but 16yr old Oisin Gallagher was on the bench for Lincoln last night and the weekend. From Derry and was in our U19s training camps this year.

Edited by J89 - 29 Sep 2021 at 1:05pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 1:23pm

Know nothing about him but 16yr old Oisin Gallagher was on the bench for Lincoln last night and the weekend. From Derry and was in our U19s training camps this year.

Was involved with the NI set up early on, but apparently has trained with our U-19s. Read a bio of his and he listed Liverpool & Celtic as his fav clubs and James McClean as one of his favourite players. Derry City lad, so I'd imagine his allegiances would swing our way. Lincoln took another lad Bobby Deane over from Derry last year also.
Idah Dream!
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 6:08pm

Struggled to make an impact at Ipswich but they had the third lowest goals scored for a team in League One. Shows how better he's been this season when playing in a team that wants to try and play with the ball on the ground.
Sure but he was part of the reason for their low scoring  same as the other attacking players they featured as he wasn't posing any threat. Ipswich certainly scoring a lot more this season without Parrot than they were with him. Scoring a few goals in League One isn't enough to get excited about him leading us to major tournaments. Does any team likely to qualify for the world cup have a starting striker playing League One level? Like the alternatives available to us he's a potential prospect to be international standard forward in the future but he's got a way to go. Idah has looked more capable than him so far (Andorra apart)
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Sure but he was part of the reason for their low scoring  same as the other attacking players they featured as he wasn't posing any threat. Ipswich certainly scoring a lot more this season without Parrot than they were with him. Scoring a few goals in League One isn't enough to get excited about him leading us to major tournaments. Does any team likely to qualify for the world cup have a starting striker playing League One level? Like the alternatives available to us he's a potential prospect to be international standard forward in the future but he's got a way to go. Idah has looked more capable than him so far (Andorra apart)

I don't think anyone with sense expects Parrott to lead us to major tournaments in the near future almost certainly. He's a 19yo learning his trade that.already looks well able and even a cut above League 1. You see the MK Dons forum they seem to be petrified of him moving up to the Championship in January. I wouldn't agree with them mind for me he will likely stay where he is for the year and learn his trade at a manageable level. 

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Sep 2021 at 6:32pm
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:32pm
I see Garcia-McNulty done an interview with Murcia where he says he doesn't want to 'close the the door' on Spain. He's a fair bit of their standard you'd think but still, not great to hear (although not surprising either)
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I see Garcia-McNulty done an interview with Murcia where he says he doesn't want to 'close the the door' on Spain. He's a fair bit of their standard you'd think but still, not great to hear (although not surprising either)

Dont think he'll ever be good enough for Spain given their sheer dept of talent.

Thankfully its a position we're well covered in for the future with O'Shea, Collins, Omobamidele, McGuinness, McEntee, O'Brien etc.. that if we did lose him, he wouldn't be as big a loss if he was a midfielder or striker.

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:12pm
I don't want to close the door on Spain yet was some dumb wording. Kid is basically saying if I make the standard I will happily jump ship. It should be a signal to Irish coaches that if he is in a tight competition with an Irish born player for a place, the Irish born player should get the nod. (or indeed anyone in that situation)

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:29pm
is there any real point in having a guy like this in the u 21 squad at all. Probably best to not include guys with this mindset in the squads particularly if they make statements like this. Anytime I’ve seen him underage he’s always looked high quality unfortunately and he’s someone that could play midfield as well from what I’ve seen . 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

is there any real point in having a guy like this in the u 21 squad at all. Probably best to not include guys with this mindset in the squads particularly if they make statements like this. Anytime I’ve seen him underage he’s always looked high quality unfortunately and he’s someone that could play midfield as well from what I’ve seen . 

It's not uncommon with the ireland set up sadly. Okoflex, odubeko, grealish, rice are probably the most notable but there are lots more.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

It's not uncommon with the ireland set up sadly. Okoflex, odubeko, grealish, rice
 are probably the most notable but there are lots more.
Ya I’m very aware of that unfortunately. But what’s the point in having them in there at all . I know we are literally begging guys to play. I think the Rice situation in particular has made it ok or cool to have this attitude for some of these guys . It’s a sickening reality for Irish fans 

Edited by Liam Green - 29 Sep 2021 at 9:42pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:49pm
Mcnulty and conor Noss have said such things. Are we really in a position to say no thanks to them now? 

It would be great but not really a goer at the moment 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234235236237238 329>
  Share Topic