You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 10:25pm
there’s a show due to be broadcast of him on Saturday talking about the jerseys that mean something to him with Ireland jerseys included . Was on Eire guide on Facebook 
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

He was born here, his parents are from Nigeria so can someone point out to me how he qualifies for England?

Moved to Manchester City in 2015, then to Manchester United and then west ham. Qualifies for a England via the 5 year rule. 
Dont think he moved in 2015 

The 5-years only starts from the age of 18, I believe?

No it is five years of schooling in the country I believe. There was a lot of talk regarding this rule around Okoflex also but turned out he was around 6 months short of the 5 years of schooling in England before moving to Celtic.

They've changed it since then, it's now just five years full stop. He has been there over the five years now so could play for them if called up.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 11:19pm
Sam Blair, the Norwich keeper brought in to replace Rose, might be another one to worry about. He has an Irish grandmother but was involved with England underage previously.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Sam Blair, the Norwich keeper brought in to replace Rose, might be another one to worry about. He has an Irish grandmother but was involved with England underage previously.

Think that was genuine travel restrictions if I’m not mistaken. I wouldn’t be as worried about that a while. Odubeko a different proposition.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 12:57am
and before anyone mentions the youngfella with Munchengladbach I’m sure it’s regional in Germany certain regions under different restrictions.
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 1:18am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

and before anyone mentions the youngfella with Munchengladbach I’m sure it’s regional in Germany certain regions under different restrictions.

Yeah but gladbach and gelsenkirchen are both in the North Rhine Westphalia region. 

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 2:53am

Psychologists should create a term called the 'Rice/Grealish effect' that only affects Irish supporter's 

It's an emotional rollercoaster for us when we see a player refuse a call up 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 3:11am

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

I’ll hold the panic on this one

I respect your level-headedness on this as my reaction to him 'pulling out of the squad' was to immediately assume the he's gone for good.

I see the media are simply reporting it as his team withdrawing him (as opposed to him withdrawing himself) and, if we wanted to believe it's a nothing, then we can easily just take that at face value as he is their only reserve pure striker.
And maybe that's the case and he'll be back in the Summer squad.

I'm just not confident that's the case (why was he named in the first place?) but I'll go with your take on this one.

I appreciate it. I might be more concerned if he was our only striking prospect, but I still have faith in Parrott, Idah, Obafemi, etc.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Yeah but gladbach and gelsenkirchen are both in the North Rhine Westphalia region. 

Is Gladbach in that region? I thought it wasn’t? Okay then yes I stand corrected not a good sign. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 10:04am
Shows where our concerns are when a Keeper and Striker both drop from the youth-squad and all the anguish is over the striker.

Now if it had been Bazunu who had stepped away, we'd be all over it but we look exceptionally strong in the GK dept. for the forseeable.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:06am

Shows where our concerns are when a Keeper and Striker both drop from the youth-squad and all the anguish is over the striker.

Now if it had been Bazunu who had stepped away, we'd be all over it but we look exceptionally strong in the GK dept. for the forseeable.

Yeah I wouldn’t say it concerns me more so it is what it is. If Odubeko wants to play for Nigeria good luck to him if it’s England then he has very little sense of loyalty to the country he grew up in and even worse arguably his native country. 

Again there could be nothing in either. What’s more so annoying me is that he’s been confirmed as in the squad Crawford has done a press conference crowing about how he can’t wait to play it just looks bad from that perspective it’s making an arse of Crawford as well. 

The lad himself the club or Crawford/FAI really should have had this clear from the get go. 

Also if you don’t want to play then say it. People say it’s “the modern player” but it’s more so the modern human being weak he doesn’t even have the balls to say it straight so hides behind excuses. Cant have your cake and eat it too. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:09am

Yup to touch on this we have exceptional talents coming through the goalkeeping ranks Rose would have been another. I do picture a Scotland left back type scenario in 5/8 years time let’s say where 2/3 of our best players are goalkeepers. 

As for attackers it’s depressing yes but it’s a case of give the younger ones time. Most don’t hit their stride until mid 20s at least we have some promising ones hopefully one of them drive on up through the ranks.

Edited by kevin100 - 23 Mar 2021 at 11:11am
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:15am
Re: Odubeko.

JJ Kayode is in the squad despite suffering a serious injury recently for Carlisle and not playing since. Mipo Odubeko literally played a match after he was was withdrawn from the squad. It clearly has nothing to do with any injury.

I doubt that West Ham have refused to release him or exerted undue influence on him either. If that was the case, nobody would turn up for these games. Some people have just gotten it in their heads that West Ham have a structural bias against Ireland and don't want dual-eligible players representing us because of the Declan Rice situation, when Conor Coventry alone proves that isn't the case.

Clubs cannot blackmail players into not representing their country. At worst, they can advise against it if there's a genuine injury (which there isn't).

All the times lads like Anthony Stokes and Keith Treacy (who believe it or not, were as highly rated as Odubeko one time) went on Intl duty for us as youngsters, do you not think their clubs would've preferred they stay in Britain rather than go on the lash in Dublin?

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the likeliest explanation.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Re: Odubeko.

JJ Kayode is in the squad despite suffering a serious injury recently for Carlisle and not playing since. Mipo Odubeko literally played a match after he was was withdrawn from the squad. It clearly has nothing to do with any injury.

I doubt that West Ham have refused to release him or exerted undue influence on him either. If that was the case, nobody would turn up for these games. Some people have just gotten it in their heads that West Ham have a structural bias against Ireland and don't want dual-eligible players representing us because of the Declan Rice situation, when Conor Coventry alone proves that isn't the case.

Clubs cannot blackmail players into not representing their country. At worst, they can advise against it if there's a genuine injury (which there isn't).

All the times lads like Anthony Stokes and Keith Treacy (who believe it or not, were as highly rated as Odubeko one time) went on Intl duty for us as youngsters, do you not think their clubs would've preferred they stay in Britain rather than go on the lash in Dublin?

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the likeliest explanation.

Yup and Carlisle will likely have important games coming up. It is what it is doesn’t concern me he’s a talented kid but pointless worrying.  

I have often said regards Smallbone Obafemi etc until they actually do a Declan Rice etc you can’t tar them with that brush. With Odubeko unless he shows actual interest you need to presume he’s no intention of declaring here. 

Kayode is having a fine season btw and has played many games out on the wing too too for a lad who looks a real old fashioned striker. Be interesting to see where he will go from this season.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:19pm
Couple of positives to come out of this week's games so far.

Our goalkeeper situation looks better,  kelleher, bazunu and Travers are the three looking for the number 1 shirt. I'd say kelleher is currently in the lead but Bazunu has had a fantastic debut. Travers will come good too
Looking good for keepers for ten years.

Defenders - Dara oshea has also been good for ireland, I suspect him and Nathan Collins could form a technically excellent partnership.

Midfielders - molumby did more than he got credit for against Serbia, not afraid to break up the play in midfield and could have probably been used in the Lux game.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Couple of positives to come out of this week's games so far.

Our goalkeeper situation looks better,  kelleher, bazunu and Travers are the three looking for the number 1 shirt. I'd say kelleher is currently in the lead but Bazunu has had a fantastic debut. Travers will come good too
Looking good for keepers for ten years.

Defenders - Dara oshea has also been good for ireland, I suspect him and Nathan Collins could form a technically excellent partnership.

Midfielders - molumby did more than he got credit for against Serbia, not afraid to break up the play in midfield and could have probably been used in the Lux game.

I agree with you that the goalkeeping situation is looking good but I don't think Mark Travers is ever going to be a realistic option for us.

Darren Randolph should remain the #1 for us unless his lack of club games and Bazunu/Kelleher force Kenny's hand.

I honestly don't think we would've lost in Serbia if Randolph was in goal. I think we would've got at least 1 point, maybe 2 out of these games.

The Connolly penalty shout was another sliding doors moment. It is baffling why the referee didn't give it, and the signs that a decision like that would go against us were already there; he gave every decision against Connolly in the first half including at least two very obvious ones.

It's well and good saying Serbia had a penalty shout moments afterwards but that incident wouldn't have happened if the Connolly penalty was given - and Coleman's contact came outside the box in any case.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:12pm
Luca Connell scored and got an assist tonight
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:34pm
Great, would love to see him make something of himself and get a move to a Championship club or the likes. Celtic has been awful for him. Always looked very technically gifted. Looked great against Wales last week also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 329>
  Share Topic