You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 192193194195196 329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

You would imagine a shoe in for the 21s. Would be no harm for him to go out on loan next year if he can’t be guaranteed minutes for Wolves. 

Bit of an exaggeration, no?

Anthony Forde, Aaron Doran, Reece Grego-Cox and Michael Harriman went one better and got actual PL game time before settling into being lower-league players - and this is when teams could name less players on the bench. Conor Coventry has made the bench half-a-dozen times for West Ham without laying a glove on the first team; he's made little impression out on loan.

I'd wait for him to actually do something at senior level before saying he's a cert to get into a squad where we have plenty of options in his position.

Yes close to a cert for the 21s. Where is the exaggeration. McNamara, Leahy, Scales, Lee and Tom O’Connor full back options all too old for the 21s. 
Richards an obvious option to come up to the 21s now. 

As for a loan move why not? He may get some minutes between now and the end of the season. He’s 19 now will be 20 in October. 

Coventry had played about 10 games for Lincoln and was just settling in before corona stopped games in March. To say he didn’t create much of an impression doesn’t tell much of the story. Also had an injury which kept him out this year.  

Coventry is 21 next month and really needs to be looking at first team football. I feel Josh Cullen wasted a lot of time staying with west ham and not looking for a permanent club and first team football
Sponsored Links

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

You would imagine a shoe in for the 21s. Would be no harm for him to go out on loan next year if he can’t be guaranteed minutes for Wolves. 

Bit of an exaggeration, no?

Anthony Forde, Aaron Doran, Reece Grego-Cox and Michael Harriman went one better and got actual PL game time before settling into being lower-league players - and this is when teams could name less players on the bench. Conor Coventry has made the bench half-a-dozen times for West Ham without laying a glove on the first team; he's made little impression out on loan.

I'd wait for him to actually do something at senior level before saying he's a cert to get into a squad where we have plenty of options in his position.

Yes close to a cert for the 21s. Where is the exaggeration. McNamara, Leahy, Scales, Lee and Tom O’Connor full back options all too old for the 21s. 
Richards an obvious option to come up to the 21s now. 

As for a loan move why not? He may get some minutes between now and the end of the season. He’s 19 now will be 20 in October. 

Coventry had played about 10 games for Lincoln and was just settling in before corona stopped games in March. To say he didn’t create much of an impression doesn’t tell much of the story. Also had an injury which kept him out this year.  

Coventry is 21 next month and really needs to be looking at first team football. I feel Josh Cullen wasted a lot of time staying with west ham and not looking for a permanent club and first team football
Never overly impressed with Coventry myself. Hard to tell what his main attribute is. 
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 9:29pm
I was very impressed by Coventry anytime I saw him play for our underage teams, good at reading the game and breaking the play, good passer of the ball too. He had a great partnership with Molumby in midfield. But disappointing he hasn't gone out on loan, not going to break into the West Ham team and isn't getting any younger. Very similar to what happened with Cullen. 
musicinmouth View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 1:37pm
Irish Times reports that Shane Flynn
may get some game time for Leicester tonight or in Europa League next week. 

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by musicinmouth musicinmouth wrote:

Irish Times reports that Shane Flynn
may get some game time for Leicester tonight or in Europa League next week. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/s/soccer/english-soccer/shane-flynn-in--for-leicester-debut-in-fa-cup-clash-against-brighton-1.4480542 - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/shane-flynn-in-frame-for-leicester-debut-in-fa-cup-clash-against-brighton-1.4480542

Not in the squad tonight anyway.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 4:57pm
Just hearing Nathan Collins is gone off with a serious knee injury too looks very bad.

It can’t be just me but is Irish football absolutely cursed at the moment how many more of our lads are going to pick up serious injuries this season.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 5:03pm

Just hearing Nathan Collins is gone off with a serious knee injury too looks very bad.

It can’t be just me but is Irish football absolutely cursed at the moment how many more of our lads are going to pick up serious injuries this season.

Guess we can forget about that big money PL move.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 6:00pm

O’Neill is saying it’s a metatarsal, but too early to say. Hopefully not knee or ligament 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 6:10pm

O'Neill says likely a metatarsal injury but too early to tell.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-nathan-collins-injury-5002252
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:22pm
Zack Elbouzedi not even in the squad for Bolton this afternoon. I guess we can forget about him as a long-term prospect at this stage. Simon Power seems to be doing well for Harrogate. William Hondermarck hasn't made the match day squads for Harrogate lately. IDK if he's injured or not.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:30pm

Zack Elbouzedi not even in the squad for Bolton this afternoon. I guess we can forget about him as a long-term prospect at this stage. Simon Power seems to be doing well for Harrogate. William Hondermarck hasn't made the match day squads for Harrogate lately. IDK if he's injured or not.

I'd pretty much right off anyone as a long term prospect who's 22+ and playing in League 1 or lower.

of course you'll always have your John egan's and exceptions to that rule but if you're hedging your bets you'd have to assume everybody in that bracket is not going to be a viable option for Ireland over the next decade.

giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I'd pretty much right off anyone as a long term prospect who's 22+ and playing in League 1 or lower.

of course you'll always have your John egan's and exceptions to that rule but if you're hedging your bets you'd have to assume everybody in that bracket is not going to be a viable option for Ireland over the next decade.

Of our current starting 11, Randolph, Stevens, Egan, Hourihane would also fall into this category, so I think it’s a little difficult to make that statement.

It is definitely hard to see Elbouzedi making the grade from here though, as this will now be 4 UK clubs he’s struggled with...
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:46pm
Elbouzedi is a really odd one, cause he's always stood out in the under 21's. Mad to think that, while those performances were at underage level, he can't get in to a mid level league 2 team. Always loved his directness and pace. Also had decent final ball too. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 4:58pm

Elbouzedi is a really odd one, cause he's always stood out in the under 21's. Mad to think that, while those performances were at underage level, he can't get in to a mid level league 2 team. Always loved his directness and pace. Also had decent final ball too. 

Yep, and has a goal in him.
Went to L1 and played a few times, then fell to the bench and was loaned out and the same has happened in L2.  So must be not showing the managers what they want to see.
Shame really as direct players like him can have a place and defenders hate them.
Should add - if we had succeeded he could have been straight into the team as we lack such a player in that outside-right area.

I somewhat agree with the statement above on players playing at a certain level by a certain age.
While there will always be exceptions, it seems its a very strong indicator of where their fortunes lie.
Could also argue that the late elevation of Stephens and Egan etc. to the national side as regulars is more an indication of a lack of talent or competition for the roles.  Especially in Stephens' case (Egan looks a v solid option in his position and is a loss to injury).

Could further argue that it's easier for defenders to climb the ladder, whereas attacking players that don't show talent early simply fade and never return.  Read back this entire thread for many examples.

Edited by Fozz - 17 Feb 2021 at 5:00pm
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:19pm

His second half performance against Sweden was top class think he scored two goals and was heavily involved in a brilliant performance. In saying that anytime I seen him for Waterford he was poor. I don’t think the extra bit of physicality suits his style of play.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:19pm
For every Stevens and Egan that do make it back up the leagues there are thousands that wont. So definity exception to the rule.

Cant see Elbouzedi turning it around sadly. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 5:34pm
Why not?

Keith Fahey is another who came home and then went back across.

Walters was 24 before he making progress with Ipswich and was 27 before making his Ireland debut.

I'm sure there are more.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 6:00pm
There are many different paths. Egan was always a good player but got unlucky with injuries, Ward had peaks and pits but peaked towards the end of his career, McClean has been remarkably consistent, Doherty has perhaps passed his peak even as he moves to a top club. Fahey and Chris Forrester reached a similar level and profile in the league of Ireland but the more talented of the two has ended up having the worse career. Daryl Murphy, John Aldridge, Phil Babb, Jason McAteer, Liam Miller, Anthony Stokes...

Our entire history as an international football team is basically a case study in why there is NOT one set path to the top.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 192193194195196 329>
  Share Topic