You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:57am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Bazunu has conceded 4 and counting for Rochdale tonight.

He pulled off a savage save late on. I wouldn’t be too worried about that. He’s an outstanding prospect pound for pound potentially the best we have at the moment.

There's the save in question. He did very well. 
El Puto Amo
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Fantastic.
To have a keeper so young playing senior football week in and playing it well is a welcome good-news story for us all.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Fantastic.
To have a keeper so young playing senior football week in and playing it well is a welcome good-news story for us all.

Well he's going to get a lot of practice at Rochdale that's for sure.  When a goalkeeper can concede 4 goals and still have a good game....
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:37pm
Mipo Odubeko rumoured to be getting his debut this weekend. Was always good for Manchester United when I saw him and he was rated around the club. Was just always in the shadow of Mason Greenwood which is why he decided to leave. Hopefully turns out a good decision for him. 

Raises question though of why hasn’t he been involved in our set up for a long time now. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Mipo Odubeko rumoured to be getting his debut this weekend. Was always good for Manchester United when I saw him and he was rated around the club. Was just always in the shadow of Mason Greenwood which is why he decided to leave. Hopefully turns out a good decision for him. 

Raises question though of why hasn’t he been involved in our set up for a long time now. 

I've been racking my brains trying to figure it out. Hmm.... what could the reason possibly be. There's no precedent for this at all.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

He played for us underage up to 2019. He has had plenty injury issues etc since then. 

Really who knows but he’s born and raised in Ireland to 2 Nigerian parents. Who else is he going to play for.

Would he even be able to use the residency rule to try and play for England? Looking at all the nuances surrounding it I’m not sure. If he does that and doesn’t pick Ireland or Nigeria the lad is essentially a disgrace. 

One thing too of the Nigerian/African lads coming through can you name one that have been born and raised in Ireland but have jumped ship when the time comes? Every single one of them so far have stayed loyal to us which is to be admired as these lads would be raised to have a real loyalty to their native country too.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:33pm
This is slightly different though as it's a player who was born in  Ireland and played youth football here. I can't think of a previous example of us losing someone who was here long enough to play youth football before moving to England (other than Okoflex who has since come back to us) so this will be a negative development if Odubeko goes with England just based on him moving there as a 12 year old. Sets a really bad precedent for us. Hopefully he is with our under 19s or 21s in the spring. 

Edited by You Tell Me - 14 Jan 2021 at 1:35pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

... Hopefully he is with our under 19s or 21s in the spring. 

Do the 21's have matches in March?

And do we have any idea who the 19's are playing and when or is that still being worked out?
I assume there's a wait-and-see approach while most of Europe suffers this terrible Covid wave.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:27pm
He had an injury which kept him out of most of the 19/20 season and he was injured from Oct-Dec this year too. His last appearance was May 2019 for us it’s hardly 5 years ago. We had plenty of attacking talent in our 21s and 19s ripping it up but not getting selected in that timeframe. 

Cassidy and Scully two that spring to mind who are only really in our underage squads a few months despite their form in recent years (Cassidy was injured too I know)

Considering the context above I would still like to think he will play for us until he proves otherwise. If he’s in the first team for West Ham then he ought to be in the next U21/U19 squad if nothing else the next time. That will be telling.

Edited by kevin100 - 14 Jan 2021 at 2:28pm
Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:35pm
There is an unhealthy level of scepticism around first generation black players it seems. Obafemi's commitment has been constantly questioned even after he has played competitively at senior level, and doubts have been raised about Ogbene, Oko-flex, and Kayode even though they have all either affirmed their commitment of played for us. Sotona and Odubeko are the most recent subjects of this suspicion which seems to be based on very little, while Kioso has been written off altogether because there is some reference from a few years ago of him talking about DR Congo. It is all a bit peculiar really, especially as we have not lost any players from these backgrounds before. I suspect there will turn out to be nothing to these rumours as well.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Wes_Wanderers Wes_Wanderers wrote:

There is an unhealthy level of scepticism around first generation black players it seems. Obafemi's commitment has been constantly questioned even after he has played competitively at senior level, and doubts have been raised about Ogbene, Oko-flex, and Kayode even though they have all either affirmed their commitment of played for us. Sotona and Odubeko are the most recent subjects of this suspicion which seems to be based on very little, while Kioso has been written off altogether because there is some reference from a few years ago of him talking about DR Congo. It is all a bit peculiar really, especially as we have not lost any players from these backgrounds before. I suspect there will turn out to be nothing to these rumours as well.

I mean Ogbene literally said himself he wanted to play for Nigeria before eventually declaring for us and Oko-flex and Odubeko's lack of commitment is demonstrable. But going by your derailment of the Troy Parrott thread with your comments about Lee O'Connor, I fully expect you not to take this on board.
Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I mean Ogbene literally said himself he wanted to play for Nigeria before eventually declaring for us and Oko-flex and Odubeko's lack of commitment is demonstrable. But going by your derailment of the Troy Parrott thread with your comments about Lee O'Connor, I fully expect you not to take this on board.

How is Odubekos lack of commitment "demonstrable"? I do hope you are not confusing him with someone else as you confused Serge Aurier with Davinson Sanchez on the Matt Doherty thread yesterday evening?
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 3:01pm

Probably worth noting that children of immigrants in Ireland are not automatically entitled to citizenship. We could and do have players who do not yet have Irish citizenship even if they came here at a young age. We may even have players who are not citizens even though they were born in Ireland. 

I’m not saying that this relates to Odubeko or others, but it is relevant. And I’m certainly not cynical about the commitment of our 1g players 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 3:07pm

Okoflex played for England, so a discussion regarding his commitment to Ireland was warranted.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 3:16pm

For sure Obafemi the gun was put to his head by that farce with O’Neill and he came out and he nailed his colours firmly to our mast. 

From growing up and knowing a few African lads Im aware of their loyalty/pride in their roots as well especially those with 2 African parents it’s really drilled into them.

For the reason above I’d have far more understanding for them switching to Nigeria or their native country then some of the charlatans playing for Ireland underage and switching to England from Ireland and back twice over because at 24 they realise they aren’t good enough to play for England.

We will probably lose one of these lads down the line by law of averages it may be Odubeko unfortunately. 

Until then like those almost judging Smallbone off Rice or Grealish until Odubeko indicates otherwise you have to trust he will play for us. Cant tar every lad with the same brush.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 3:46pm
There is really nothing to discuss here, but it's yet another slow-news day on the Ireland front so here we are!
I don't get talk of International allegiance for lads who've barely gotten out of school and, in many cases, have less minutes of senior football than I've had hot showers in lockdown.

I'm excited by Odubeko in that we may have another underage Irish International who can line out as a forward for a PL team.  And it's come out of nowhere for many of us not clued into West Ham's comings and goings.
Up to now that talk has been reserved for Connolly, Parrott and Idah but any new faces are more than welcome.

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 3:49pm
Come on the WONDERKID!

EDIT - someone start a new thread as surely this lad deserves his own one Big smile

Edited by Fozz - 14 Jan 2021 at 3:51pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

Okoflex played for England, so a discussion regarding his commitment to Ireland was warranted.

That's so racist!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 329>
  Share Topic