You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 152153154155156 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Celtic are taking Ajeti on loan from West Ham, which is not good news for Afolabi. The Irish group up there are all players who  should be breaking into the first team now, but they aren’t really looking all that close. Hope I’m wrong.

The thing is that Afolabi is so far down the pecking order that it doesn't really matter. Apparently had the choice of five clubs last summer and chose Celtic. Could well be a career defining mistake for him.
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:57am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Celtic are taking Ajeti on loan from West Ham, which is not good news for Afolabi. The Irish group up there are all players who  should be breaking into the first team now, but they aren’t really looking all that close. Hope I’m wrong.

The thing is that Afolabi is so far down the pecking order that it doesn't really matter. Apparently had the choice of five clubs last summer and chose Celtic. Could well be a career defining mistake for him.

Unfortunately, I think you’re right. All the talk of his popularity among the Celtic management team seems to have added up to nothing. For a lot of Irish kids, Celtic are the top of the tree, and I guess they look at the path of players like Wanyama or Dembele and think they could be a few games away from the Champions League.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:07am
Afolabi had the benefit of playing some men's football last year with Dunfermline in the Scottish Championship, a league where defences are largely comprised of mountainous knuckle dragging psychopaths who kick everything that moves, including occasionally the ball. That will have been helpful in his development. Some of the Premiership and Championship teams he could have gone to would have afforded him longer odds of making the first team. Connell has now made his senior debut, Okoflex has made the bench previously, Coffey is still young and not ready yet. O'Connor has like Afolabi played in the Scottish Championship but he is one I expected to progress more quickly and a loan or permanent move may well be in his long term interests now.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:27am
Coffey is older than Connell but not in the first team squad. I wouldn't have much hope for him to be honest, hasn't ever really had the chance to play any football at a decent standard other than a few appearances at last year's under 19 finals with Ireland.

Connell still waiting on his senior debut unfortunately. He also played in one pre season game this time last year but that was it for the year for him. Hasn't played any competitive club football since May 2019 with Bolton.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:19am
Coffey won't make it at Celtic, but I'd be reasonably confident he has what it takes to make a decent professional career for himself. He's looked a solid, proficient player whenever I've watched him.
We're decent enough..
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:36am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Coffey is older than Connell but not in the first team squad. I wouldn't have much hope for him to be honest, hasn't ever really had the chance to play any football at a decent standard other than a few appearances at last year's under 19 finals with Ireland.

Connell still waiting on his senior debut unfortunately. He also played in one pre season game this time last year but that was it for the year for him. Hasn't played any competitive club football since May 2019 with Bolton.

He’s left it a bit latte to make it now 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:36pm
Warren O'Hora won Young Player of the Season at Brighton.

A few young players impressed for us last season, Connolly and Idah amongst them.

Who do we think will be our breakout young player next season?

Edited by NewtNewbie - 29 Jul 2020 at 7:36pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

A few young players impressed for us last season, Connolly and Idah amongst them.

Matt Doherty. You heard it here first.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:12pm

Festy Ebosele at Derby
Can see Adam Idah getting more time for Norwich
I think this will be Troy Parrotts breakout season if he gets a good loan move
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:53pm

We can't even agree on this season's!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 9:39pm

Festy Ebosele at Derby

Parrott's being linked to Millwall under the recommendation of Molumby apparently, which would be a good move.

Omobamidele at Nowich, perhaps.

McEntee at Newcastle might get a chance.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:08pm
Travers should be set for regular football too, if Ramsfmdale moves on as expected.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Travers should be set for regular football too, if Ramsfmdale moves on as expected.

Ramsdale's been linked with a move back to Sheffield United if, as expected, Henderson stays with Manchester United next year.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 11:42pm

Festy Ebosele at Derby

Parrott's being linked to Millwall under the recommendation of Molumby apparently, which would be a good move.

Omobamidele at Nowich, perhaps.

McEntee at Newcastle might get a chance.

Will molumby definitely be at Millwall next season?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 12:28am
best hopes for a breakthrough next year could be Parrott if he gets the loan move, Ebosele at Derby, Collins at Stoke and Ferry at Southampton. Possibly Adam O'Reilly as well.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 2:57am
Molumby might be back at Milwall but judging by Brighton's midfield I would say they will think him ready for the first team squad getting minutes. I wouldn't mind him and Parrott at Milwall personally, the more minutes the better.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 6:46am
Smallbone at Southampton. Needs an early senior cap, I believe. And watch Thomas O'Connor there too- he had a successful time playing men's football at Gillingham last season. O'Hora and McEntee are way down the pecking order at their clubs despite securing new contracts recently. We'd all like to see Parrott start to fly.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:55am
You're right about Thomas O'Connor; he's gone under the radar a bit but did very well at Gillingham in a couple of different positions.

Smallbone definitely needs capping sharpish. Looks to be the sort of midfield player we've been lacking for a while.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 30 Jul 2020 at 9:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 152153154155156 329>
  Share Topic