You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 329>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Deji Sotona being linked with a move to a European club. 

Has he ever played for any official Ireland underage team?
Don't think he was involved in the U17's last year, or was he?

Update - researched and answered me own question...I rock!
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/u17-euro-ireland-squad-announced-for-tournament

So no, no sign of him there.

Is he any good?
He’s a decent player in the United set up which would I guess make him a bigger talent from an Irish perspective. Absolutely rapid, clocked as the fastest player at United. Impressed early in the season mainly coming off the bench for the u18s and started earning some starts towards the second half of the season. He isn’t one of the main big talents. More in that next group level where they are good players for top academies but you wouldn’t expect them to make it there. 
Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 6:37pm
Like Odubeko before him, he's not happy for some reason and is likely to leave despite being highly rated by some first team players. Odubeko has been doing well at West Ham since he went there, rattling in the goals and being tipped for the first team if he continues to develop but the same was said of Tony Scully before he was transferred to Lincoln City. Sotona is a flying machine and may make the big time but very difficult to predict the future for these young players.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:07pm
Alex Hunt came on as as a sub for Sheffield Wednesday. Has been called up previously for the under 19s I think.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:15pm
Connolly with a nice assist for Brighton.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Alex Hunt came on as as a sub for Sheffield Wednesday. Has been called up previously for the under 19s I think.

I was wondering about that. Can't find anything on line about him lining out for us, he seems to be universally listed as English.
We're decent enough..
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 6:44pm
If it's the same Alex Hunt, and I'm assuming it is, he was called up by Tom Mohan in February last year for the Under-19s to play a couple of friendlies against an FAI/ETB X1 and Drogheda Utd in preparation for the European Championship Elite Round phase in Russia. Seems to have disappeared without trace from the Irish set-up since.

Edited by Green Cockade - 20 Jun 2020 at 6:44pm
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:14pm
Ciaran Brennan (20) has been offered a deal by Sheffield Wednesday
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 4:03pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

U-17's keeper Dan Rose gone to Schalke

Gave about the least committed quote I think I've heard to Irish Fan TV last week when asked about playing for Ireland rather than England at underage level:

"That's where I want to play my football...at the moment"
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Gave about the least committed quote I think I've heard to Irish Fan TV last week when asked about playing for Ireland rather than England at underage level:

Playing and developing in Germany might work in our favour. Out of sight, out of mind kinda thing 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 3:42pm

Hilarious. I mean honestly if we have an Irish lad that is 95% as good he should get his place in the squad. I would drop a lad hearing that. It isn't club football.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 4:11pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxBQErvLHww
Good interview there.
We need to stop doubting young lads with English accents until such a time as they are called up and fail to show.  
Then don't doubt them either - forget them.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 4:13pm
Corcoran released by PNE 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 4:17pm
Was always going to be difficult for him to make the breakthrough, very small compared to most young keepers coming through. Maybe he'll be able to get a LOI club and rebuild from there.
We're decent enough..
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 11:49pm
Alan Reynolds coming on board with the U-21s as part of Jim Crawfords back room team alongside his job at Dundalk according to the Indo

Edited by Denis Irwin - 24 Jun 2020 at 11:50pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 12:45am
1.81m is just not tall enough for a modern day keeper at the top level. The best thing that could happen to Corcoran is he could take a late spurt and grow three or four inches in the next couple of years. It's relatively unusual to grow taller after 18 (though it does happen). Otherwise it will be the league of Ireland at best for him.

Edited by You Tell Me - 25 Jun 2020 at 12:48am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:07am

1.81m is just not tall enough for a modern day keeper at the top level. The best thing that could happen to Corcoran is he could take a late spurt and grow three or four inches in the next couple of years. It's relatively unusual to grow taller after 18 (though it does happen). Otherwise it will be the league of Ireland at best for him.

Tell that to Iker Casillas. In saying that, I'm not even sure Corcoran is that height, he looks more like 5'10 to me. A lack of height makes it difficult for a keeper to break through because not only are you viewed as inexperienced (like all young players), but there's also the idea that you'll lack authority/presence. The chance will come if you're good enough though, you just might have to be more patient to get it. Hopefully that's the case for Corcoran.
We're decent enough..
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:35am
You have to play to your strengths. Shay Given was sh!te when it came to claiming crosses, so he just never attempted it. And rightly so. The flapping goalkeeper causes more problems than doing nothing. He just concentrated on being an UNBELIEVABLE shot stopper.

If Corcoran was a great shot stopper, with good feet from the point of view of playing it out from the back, and had a (non physical) vocal presence about him, then I don't see why he can't play at the top. Ability obviously is another thing.

I don't get the over emphasis on a huge goalkeeper. Yes, 30 years ago, especially in English football, but any upcoming goalkeeper should put as much emphasis on their ability to play as sweeper, as their shot stopping ability.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 329>
  Share Topic