Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 329>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It seems Lee O’Connor is set to join Oxford on loan. I guess that is the end of his career too.
A league one loan move is really good for a 19 year old player with zero senior league appearances in his career.

It's not particularly impressive for a 24 year old player who has made around 100 league appearances in his career, all at a higher level.

Jamie Vardy was playing for Fleetwood when he was 24!

And the fact that everyone knows that shows how rare it is to reach the top level having played that far down the pyramid at that age. Vardy a total one off but used as an example to hype up countless useless lower league players. 

An absolute plethora of players who have played in L1 have gone onto do well at higher levels; you don't have to reach Vardy's level to have a successful career or be a good player. Again, you're spouting absolute nomsense.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:04pm
Beckham was in lge 1 at Preston on loan at that, Lee is quality, Bauer is gone in summer, Frimpong will probably be sold on for a profit, he wont be at Celtic long, think o'connor will get games at Celtic next season, and I think he will be at premier league club in 2 years
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:23pm
Ireland managers have no problem picking League 1 players, if O'Connor stays at Oxford for this season and even next season and is doing well he will be seen as a real option to make our international squad on a regular basis.

There is a huge difference between picking a 31 year old League 1 player like Alan Judge and a 19 year old who's only starting his career.

Hope he does well Clap
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

It seems Lee O’Connor is set to join Oxford on loan. I guess that is the end of his career too.
A league one loan move is really good for a 19 year old player with zero senior league appearances in his career.

It's not particularly impressive for a 24 year old player who has made around 100 league appearances in his career, all at a higher level.

And the fact that everyone knows that shows how rare it is to reach the top level having played that far down the pyramid at that age. Vardy a total one off but used as an example to hype up countless useless lower league players. 

An absolute plethora of players who have played in L1 have gone onto do well at higher levels; you don't have to reach Vardy's level to have a successful career or be a good player. Again, you're spouting absolute nomsense.

I would say the number of players playing league one in their mid 20s that go on to have successful Premier league careers is exceptionally low. By the way O'Connor is 19, a totally different situation, to clarify my post was in relation to the Liam Kelly move. I have great hope for O'connor and would much prefer to see him playing football in League 1 than scratching his arse in Glasgow. 
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:54pm
New 2 year deal for Will Ferry at Southampton
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 9:12pm

I would say the number of players playing league one in their mid 20s that go on to have successful Premier league careers is exceptionally low. By the way O'Connor is 19, a totally different situation, to clarify my post was in relation to the Liam Kelly move. I have great hope for O'connor and would much prefer to see him playing football in League 1 than scratching his arse in Glasgow. 

You would be wrong then, a massive amount of players outside of top 6 teams would fall into that category.

Sure off the top of my head we have Stevens, Egan, Hourihane, McGoldrick in our squad who were all League One and Two players into their mid 20s who are now PL players.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 10:03pm

You might want to tell Enda Stevens that, he dropped all the way from the Premier League to L2 by the age of 27, yet he's currently one of our top performing EPL players. You really are a huge fan of making sweeping generalisations without putting any thought into them, aren't you?
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 10:18pm
Sure, but for every Stevens there's 20 other lads who go nowhere or backwards. The problem is that people remember the few that make it but forget about the many that don't.

I'll take back my comment when Liam Kelly becomes a regular Premier League player but I won't be holding my breath on that one. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 12:04am
The pettiness of this place is astounding!
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 4:18pm
https://twitter.com/CelticFC/status/1217455063519678465?s=19

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 15 Jan 2020 at 4:29pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
footballman View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footballman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:55pm
Did Lee O'Connor not leave on loan in the end?
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 7:25pm
I know that they're far too young and we shouldn't getting carried away etc  but the U15s recorded their 7th international win in a row after beating Australia U17s 2-0 in Abbotstown today.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

I know that they're far too young and we shouldn't getting carried away etc  but the U15s recorded their 7th international win in a row after beating Australia U17s 2-0 in Abbotstown today.
And deserved it and should have been more. Aussie keeper made a couple of good saves. Was brilliant to see lads of that age being so composed on the ball, playing it out from the back, passing their way up the pitch and creating chances. Any long balls played were long passes that split the defence and usually found their man. Well worth me venturing 10 minutes up the road to watch even if it was baltic.
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 10:35pm
No Dara O'Shea on the bench for West Brom over their past three games - I wonder if it has anything to do with him not having signed the contract they offered yet?
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by footballman footballman wrote:

Linked with loan to Partick Thistle now
Andrew00 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 4:43pm
Ryan Johansson to sign for Sevilla on a permanent deal

Edited by Andrew00 - 21 Jan 2020 at 4:44pm
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Andrew00 Andrew00 wrote:

Ryan Johansson to sign for Sevilla on a permanent deal

Just hope he's eligible for Eire
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

Originally posted by footballman footballman wrote:

Linked with loan to Partick Thistle now

Confirmed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 329>
  Share Topic