You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 329>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

Loads of Irish nationals have used the provincial set up in 2 thirds of  Ulster to play for Ireland. The reason he hate James  is that he is an "uppity Taig" who does not know his place.
 thing players who choose Ireland over 2 thirds of a province I'd that they don't yo yo back and forth like young Dembele  between England and Scotland.
Oko-Flex is doing likewise with Ireland and England 
Do you believe James or Duffy think that they are Brits.

In English, please.......

Did they think they were British when they represented a British team at underage level and stood for GSTQ? 
Sponsored Links

Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:16pm
you made my point Northern Ireland  like Scotland England and Wales are not countries they are  provinces of Britain not countries. You  dont  even have Passports your not citizens your subjects of the  crown.
There should be a British team playing in Wembley.
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:29pm

Loads of Irish nationals have used the provincial set up in 2 thirds of  Ulster to play for Ireland. The reason he hate James  is that he is an "uppity Taig" who does not know his place.
 thing players who choose Ireland over 2 thirds of a province I'd that they don't yo yo back and forth like young Dembele  between England and Scotland.

Sa Ghaeilge?

Anyhow the point is, James "Hates the f**kin Queen" McClean was offered a call-up for a senior, competitive NI international by Nigel Worthington, which he accepted.

And had Sunderland not swooped to sign him from Derry in the interim between call-up and game, he would have been tied to us. (I believe Niall Quinn had a word in his ear, to remind him that he was a Republican from the Creggan, which James had somehow forgotten).

Which was as lucky an escape for our team as for him! LOL

Edited by Territorial - 03 Dec 2019 at 2:31pm
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Theres no real recipe for your 'irishness' or any other nationality really anymore.

Granny rule players have been interchangeable in choosing ireland or england for example 

Players with irish parents seem more riable in choosing ireland over england however players like Harry Kane, whos parents are irish I believe has felt more english. (I struggle to imagine kane senior cheering for his son in an England kit and being an Irishman very strange, and I've lived in england since I was 8)

Obefemi, although born in ireland but has never really lived there, and with parents being both Nigerian born, feels irish... I'm really pleased he chose ireland as he's got really good potential but how he feels irish I really dont know... (to be clear, I'm not trying to question obefemi's right to be irish, I 100% support his right as he's a born Irishman but his ties to ireland seem more 'on paper' rather than anything else)

Harry Kane’s Irish connection is through his grandparents from Galway. Some Irish media outlets have reported that his father was Irish, but Kane confirmed earlier this year that his connection was through his grandparents.
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

Theres no real recipe for your 'irishness' or any other nationality really anymore.

Granny rule players have been interchangeable in choosing ireland or england for example 

Players with irish parents seem more riable in choosing ireland over england however players like Harry Kane, whos parents are irish I believe has felt more english. (I struggle to imagine kane senior cheering for his son in an England kit and being an Irishman very strange, and I've lived in england since I was 8)

Obefemi, although born in ireland but has never really lived there, and with parents being both Nigerian born, feels irish... I'm really pleased he chose ireland as he's got really good potential but how he feels irish I really dont know... (to be clear, I'm not trying to question obefemi's right to be irish, I 100% support his right as he's a born Irishman but his ties to ireland seem more 'on paper' rather than anything else)

Harry Kane’s Irish connection is through his grandparents from Galway. Some Irish media outlets have reported that his father was Irish, but Kane confirmed earlier this year that his connection was through his grandparents.

Grandparents plural?

If his grandparents are Irish, how is their son a different nationality?
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

Grandparents plural?

If his grandparents are Irish, how is their son a different nationality?

Yes, both grandparents.  Here's one article from earlier this year where Harry refers to his "nana and grandad":

However, that wouldn't mean that their English-born son (Harry's Dad) considers himself to be the same nationality.

PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:17pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/the-irish-lionheart-defending-england-1.270762

Very old article but Martin Keown speaks very well about his Irish and English identities. Speaks about lot of issues mentioned above. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:55pm
Glen McAuley signing for Bohs 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/the-irish-lionheart-defending-england-1.270762

Very old article but Martin Keown speaks very well about his Irish and English identities. Speaks about lot of issues mentioned above. 

I can't access the article myself, but I believe Martin's dad is from Fermanagh. So that since it became apparent that his son Niall wasn't likely to make it with the senior ROI team, both of them are open to representing NI:
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/niall-keown-switches-allegiance-republic-12566623

And Martin himself does a lot of ambassadorial work for the IFA, I think through his tie-in with McDonalds?
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialIrishFA/videos/10154233291560830/

Decent fella - for a Gooner!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 4:09pm
copy and past the link, it's worth the read. Martin on about being Irish, adopting English culture as he grew up, his relatives not understanding how his father let him play for England. Its interesting article
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by DalyerRegular DalyerRegular wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Originally posted by Andrew00 Andrew00 wrote:

Afolabi is reported to be in line for his Celtic debut against Hamilton on Wednesday after impressing Neil Lennon in training.

Yet another good Irish striker coming through 

Just scored

Great stuff...that won't do his chances any harm.
Had Connell and O'Connor starting there too with Okoflex and Coffey coming on off the bench.
Celtic Reserves are where the young Irish currently hang out and hopefully that Afolabi rumour is true and he's the first to break out.
Thomas Caffrey still there aswell?

Afolabi not in squad
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Sa Ghaeilge?

Anyhow the point is, James "Hates the f**kin Queen" McClean was offered a call-up for a senior, competitive NI international by Nigel Worthington, which he accepted.

And had Sunderland not swooped to sign him from Derry in the interim between call-up and game, he would have been tied to us. (I believe Niall Quinn had a word in his ear, to remind him that he was a Republican from the Creggan, which James had somehow forgotten).

You believe incorrectly. McLean spoke to Quinn to contact the FAI on his behalf
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Sa Ghaeilge?

Whatever the mechanism, the fact remains that after representing NI at under-age level several times, McClean (two c's btw) accepted his call up to a senior competitive fixture which would have tied him to us, before Sunderland signed him and he needed Quinn to make a phone call for him.
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:30pm
why just pick on James there are loads of others 
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:34pm

[QUOTE=Territorial][QUOTE=Mr. Snrub][QUOTE=Missy]L

Whatever the mechanism, the fact remains that after representing NI at under-age level several times, McClean (two c's btw) accepted his call up to a senior competitive fixture which would have tied him to us, before Sunderland signed him and he needed Quinn to make a phone call for him.
You can have him back now if you'd like, we're finished with him....thanks for the lend Thumbs Up
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:57pm

Sa Ghaeilge?

You're welcome.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 9:16pm

Sa Ghaeilge?

His presence in NI squads is irrelevant. Once it became evident that he could be good enough for the ROI, he was always going to accept a call-up. Niall McGinn, Paddy McCourt, Michel McGovern and plenty of other recent NI internationals would have made the same decision if they felt they were good enough, but they opted for the more pragmatic option. There's nothing wrong with that. As ROI fans, we know we've had our fair share of English-born players opt for us, as they realised they wouldn't get an England call-up and as such, it was a pragmatic decision.

eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 3:49am
Lou Macari, what an absolute nutter and a pisstake.

Even if it were possible for Grealish to redeclare for us he can go f**k himself 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 329>
  Share Topic