You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Yeah it would appear that way. Hughton called him up to the first team match day squad almost straight after he got back from his long term injury so he clearly rates him. Hopefully he can get a few appearances for them next season.
He was in and around the first team squad before he got his injury as well tho wasn’t he? As you said tho hopefully he can push on next season. Would be great to see Connolly get some gametime too. 
Sponsored Links

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:26pm
Ireland u19 midfielder Jason Knight named on Derby bench tonight. This kid along with Molumby of Brighton are our future centre midfield imho bar injury. Absoloute ballers.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 15 May 2019 at 7:26pm
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Ireland u19 midfielder Jason Knight named on Derby bench tonight. This kid along with Molumby of Brighton are our future centre midfield imho bar injury. Absoloute ballers.

Great news. Impressed by Knight every time I've seen him.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:36pm
Looked quality for the U19's recently Clap
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:15pm
Hes still eligible for 19s next year aswel.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 16 May 2019 at 1:15pm
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:00am
Aaron Connolly has won PL2 player of the season.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 5:35pm
Rangers, Norwich, Southampton and Preston are reportedly interested in signing Luca Connell.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 5:48pm
Any of them bar Rangers would be a decent move, they're better places for development (and lack of off the pitch hassle) than the SPL.
We're decent enough..
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 11:36pm
Wolves also interested
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 9:23am
Read the Rangers link alright, didn't hear about the rest.
Seems to have a bit of potential. A few young Irish at Southampton so might be the option
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:44pm
New two-year contract for Connor Ronan at Wolves - I wonder if he'll get a chance in the first team next season?
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Rangers, Norwich, Southampton and Preston are reportedly interested in signing Luca Connell.

I think there will be more suitors to follow. Not too many of our underage internationals have had any 1st team experience with their clubs, even the highly touted ones - so I think it's justifiable to say he's flying under the radar a bit. 
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by skylarking skylarking wrote:

I think there will be more suitors to follow. Not too many of our underage internationals have had any 1st team experience with their clubs, even the highly touted ones - so I think it's justifiable to say he's flying under the radar a bit. 

If you take the U19 squad as an example (or certainly those that are eligible), the likes of Nathan Collins, Conor Coventry, Luca Connell, Adam O'Reilly, Aaron Connolly and Michael Obafemi have all experienced first team football.  Jason Knight was on the bench for Derby last week.  The last time I recall an Irish underage squad having that number of players with first team experience was the U18 squad that won the European Championships in 1998.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 1:16pm
There are certainly a host of promising players around at the moment, but as we've seen in recent years, simply breaking into a team for a few matches at a young age is no guarantee of continued development. So many guys over the last few years have made benches/starting 11's for a while before fading back into the reserves/youth sides.
We're decent enough..
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

If you take the U19 squad as an example (or certainly those that are eligible), the likes of Nathan Collins, Conor Coventry, Luca Connell, Adam O'Reilly, Aaron Connolly and Michael Obafemi have all experienced first team football.  Jason Knight was on the bench for Derby last week.  The last time I recall an Irish underage squad having that number of players with first team experience was the U18 squad that won the European Championships in 1998.
Is Conor Coventry still u19? With a full squad they could go very close to winning the tournament.
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Is Conor Coventry still u19? With a full squad they could go very close to winning the tournament.

He is.

The U19s could potentially put the following team together for the European Championships:

1. Brian Maher (St Pat's)

2. Lee O'Connor (Man U)  4. Oisin McEntee (Newcastle)  5. Nathan Collins (Stoke)   3. Kameron Ledwidge (Southampton)

7. Conor Coventry (West Ham)  6. Jason Knight (Derby)  8. Aaron Bolger (Cardiff)

10. Troy Parrott (Spurs)  9. Adam Idah (Norwich)  11. Aaron Connolly (Brighton)

That would mean excluding the likes of Luca Connell, Will Smallbone and Jonathan Afolabi from the starting line-up.  It's certainly been a while since we've had so many promising young players in a single age group.
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:01pm

Point taken, although I should've made myself clearer. I was referring to promising lads like Parrott, Idah, Afolabi and Connolly who have yet to see 1st team football, granted Connolly had two sub appearances on loan. Connell's experience (10 senior appearances) is only really rivaled by Obafemi (6 senior appearances 1 goal)

Edited by skylarking - 20 May 2019 at 3:01pm
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:27pm

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

He is.

The U19s could potentially put the following team together for the European Championships:

1. Brian Maher (St Pat's)

2. Lee O'Connor (Man U)  4. Oisin McEntee (Newcastle)  5. Nathan Collins (Stoke)   3. Kameron Ledwidge (Southampton)

7. Conor Coventry (West Ham)  6. Jason Knight (Derby)  8. Aaron Bolger (Cardiff)

10. Troy Parrott (Spurs)  9. Adam Idah (Norwich)  11. Aaron Connolly (Brighton)

That would mean excluding the likes of Luca Connell, Will Smallbone and Jonathan Afolabi from the starting line-up.  It's certainly been a while since we've had so many promising young players in a single age group.
 The strenght of that squad is measured by the players who will be on the bench or not in the squad at all, lads like McAuley (Liverpool), Obafemi (Southampton), Okoflex, Coffey (Celtic), Kian Clarke (Rovers), Johannson (Bayern), McEneff, McGuinness, Tormey (Arsenal) and Cassidy (Watford) to name a few.

If everyone is fit they have real chance of going far and possibly even winning it. 

Edited by JoxerDaly - 20 May 2019 at 5:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 329>
  Share Topic