You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 9:26pm
Although the FAI certainly depends too much on 2nd/3rd genners or British clubs to develop Irish talent, I think the best of our under 21/19 age groups are definitely Irish-born or reared. A very decent side off the top of my head - 

Ian Lawlor (Man City)

Brian Lenihan (Hull City)
Pierce Sweeney (Reading)
Eoghan O'Connell (Celtic)
Sean Kavanagh (Fulham)

Jack Byrne (Man City)
Alan Browne (Preston)

Ryan Manning (QPR)
Joel Coustrain (Sheffield United)
Dylan Connolly (Ipswich)

Eoghan Stokes (Leeds)

Now, they may not be the best in the world, but they are pretty much the best that we have. Only Grealish, Hoban, Grego-Cox, maybe Garmston would be better of the English-born lads.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 9:35pm
Add Sam Byrne (Everton) and Kenny McEvoy (Spurs), Alex O'Hanlon and Daniel Cleary (Liverpool) to that list .Hopefully a few can make the breakthrough, I have high hopes for Byrne and O'Hanlon 2 very good technically assured players
SimonCox View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 10:40pm
"This is why the encouraging soundings about a collection of starlets born in 1998 have to be treated cautiously."

Who are these players??
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 10:55pm
I'd have reservations about Pierce Sweeney and O'Hanlon
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 10:59pm
O'Hanlon has a sweet left foot and passing range I havent seen by an Irish 18 year old in a long time, lacking a bit of pace but if he keeps developing he will be a top top player imo.
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:00pm
I think the best chances of new players are through hoban, murray, carruthers, williams, grealish, duffy  and browne with 6/7 of these being born outside the country.   Byrne lawlor mcevoy o hanlon and cleary could all make but haven't proved it above youth team level yet. 
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:06pm
The granny rule is disgraceful, Only players who are fully committed to Ireland should be allowed represent us. It's a shame when a English reject get a cap ahead of a irishman who would love nothing more than to represent his country, it does not matter who is more talented. Irish should play for Ireland, English play for England. Some players have never even step foot in the country including Christie.
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

No one is saying that being a Catholic means he'll definitely consider
himself Irish or vice versa for a Protestant, but that fact combined
with his first name being Ruairi at least means there's an above average
chance that he does.
That wasn't my point.

Rather it is that the implication was that if a player is Catholic, then the FAI should approach him.

Which implies that if a player is a Prod (or has a Prod name), then the FAI shouldn't.

How discriminatory is that? I daresay if you asked the FAI, they would bleat that they're "open to all", yet the record shows that they only ever approach Catholic players.

Worse still, it's no thanks to the FAI that many Catholic players stick with NI, but if that were not the case, it would ultimately lead to there being two international teams in Ireland, the Prod one (IFA) and the Taig one (FAI).

Then again, maybe you lot don't care about that...

Meanwhile, we're the ones who get called "bigots".   

P.S. People from NI are "Irish", too - even the Prods, shock horror - so you have no monopoly on that description.

Thats not the FAI's policy though.... They couldn't give a cr*p what a persons religious background is, if they're good enough and want to play for us then the FAI will be happy to have them. I don't care either for matter.... Come on now, are you really gonna try and paint the FAI out to be the bigots, that's quite preposterous, the IFA have improved a lot on that front in recent years, but they're still miles ahead in the "bigot league".
"That's not the FAI's policy though".

It is a fact that every single player who has been approached has been Catholic.

Seems a pretty clear policy to me.

The fact that [the IFA are] constantly harping on about "Catholic" and "Protestant" players shows that, no one has the slightest clue about the religious background of Ireland's players on the other hand...
Since when has anyone in the IFA ever been "constantly harping on" about "Catholic" and "Protestant" players?

Maybe you mean eg Michael O'Neill, or his big buddy Jim Magilton, or Gerry Armstrong, the man charged with identifying the barriers which may be deterring some young players form opting for NI?

Or half the team?

Btw, if you're going to try and accuse someone else of being a bigot, you might want to omit terms such as "Taig" in future....
Er, you don't do Irony, do you?

But maybe you're right, perhaps I should have used the terms "Hun" and "Taig", to reflect the implications which flow from the FAI's clearly discriminatory recruitment policy. That way, no-one would be left in any doubt...

And I never said you weren't Irish, you can be Irish if you so choose to be, but I'd wager a bet that you identify more closely as British or "Northern" Irish.
I am British - it says so on my Passport. I am also Irish, it's obvious the moment I open my mouth. I am equally proud of both.

But if you were to ask me how I most closely define myself, I would simply say I'm Northern Irish (no need for " "s round the Northern, btw)

As such, I object to the FAI's apparent belief that theirs is the "true" or "real" Ireland football team of that name, something which FIFA explicitly told them was not the case, indeed reserving that privilege for the IFA (when not playing in competition where they might encounter the FAI representative team).

Then again, why should we be surprised at the FAI wishing to steal that, too?

The FAI's official approach is not to approach any northern-born players at all, an approach that I completely disagree with. Any guys they have talked to is only because these guys signalled interest first. As it so happens nearly all of the guys who signal interest are "catholics", at least nominally. This is purely coincidental, it has nothing to do with any discriminatory policy within the FAI, Alan Kernaghan is living proof of this. You my friend are making the great mistake of arguing correlation without causation, but then again you already knew that, but it doesn't suit your ridiculous argument so you're willing to overlook it.....
We're decent enough..
John W View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 8:16am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Although the FAI certainly depends too much on 2nd/3rd genners or British clubs to develop Irish talent, I think the best of our under 21/19 age groups are definitely Irish-born or reared. A very decent side off the top of my head - 

Ian Lawlor (Man City)

Brian Lenihan (Hull City)
Pierce Sweeney (Reading)
Eoghan O'Connell (Celtic)
Sean Kavanagh (Fulham)

Jack Byrne (Man City)
Alan Browne (Preston)

Ryan Manning (QPR)
Joel Coustrain (Sheffield United)
Dylan Connolly (Ipswich)

Eoghan Stokes (Leeds)

Now, they may not be the best in the world, but they are pretty much the best that we have. Only Grealish, Hoban, Grego-Cox, maybe Garmston would be better of the English-born lads.

CJ Hamilton is going very well for Sheff Utd u21's at the moment mother is irish was reared in Ireland for a few years moved back to live with his father a few years back to concentrate on his football.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 1:38pm
Until NI stop playing gstq then the majority of Catholic's will not feel comfortable supporting and playing for them. That the stadium is based in a hostile part of Belfast will never help either.
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 2:33pm

[/QUOTE]
CJ Hamilton is going very well for Sheff Utd u21's at the moment mother is irish was reared in Ireland for a few years moved back to live with his father a few years back to concentrate on his football.
[/QUOTE]

I had not heard of him before, actually. Good spot. Conor Dimaio is another one of ours at Sheffield Utd, although he's not Irish born (if those are the rules we are playing by). Same age group, and already has a few first team games under his belt.

Agree on O'Hanlon. Been especially interesting to see how Liverpool have been using him in a midfield two. If he lacks pace, that might be his best position. Certainly seems to have a cultured left foot.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 2:54pm

The FAI's official approach is not to approach any northern-born players at all, an approach that I completely disagree with. Any guys they have talked to is only because these guys signalled interest first. As it so happens nearly all of the guys who signal interest are "catholics", at least nominally. This is purely coincidental, it has nothing to do with any discriminatory policy within the FAI, Alan Kernaghan is living proof of this. You my friend are making the great mistake of arguing correlation without causation, but then again you already knew that, but it doesn't suit your ridiculous argument so you're willing to overlook it.....
OWC fans don't tend to get the fact that the rest of us don't give a hoot what brand of religion a player indentifies with. If he approaches the FAI, we take a look.

If they took a step back they might have the strategic thought that this in fact suits them longer term. Players from a nationlist background declaring for Ireland creates a de facto united Irish side and means that the 6 county team is safer. But that involves heads being removed from arses.
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 4:01pm
Jack Byrne playing on Eurosport now
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 6:19pm

And the "FAI's official approach" is a downright lie. In fact, there have been a number of cases where players have been approached first - eg Chris Baird, Keiran McKenna and Shane Ferguson to name but three that were revealed by the players themselves.

On top of which, FAI scouts are regularly seen at a number of NI under-age games. A most extreme example was when an Australian Schools team were on tour in NI and their game, originally scheduled for Belfast, had to be moved to the wilds of Co.Fermanagh at the last minute due to weather. This was an afternoon midweek kickoff, yet two FAI scouts were still seen in attendance, taking notes. And it cannot have been the opposition they were watching, since the Aussies weren't playing their ROI counterparts.

As for Kernaghan, he was over 30 years ago, and only approached ROI because he was desperate to play international football. At the time, he was eligible and keen to play for NI , but the IFA declined because his eligibility was via his NI grandparents and at that time, IFA policy was to go back only one generation. (The fact that he had been schooled in NI didn't move the IFA, either.)
Meanwhile, the FAI was in no position to turn down players of his ability who turned upon their doorstep.

Or as one of your own national team managers, Brian Kerr, put it:
"While a manager will always seek to get the best players available within the rules, direction and policy is required on such a sensitive issue as poaching our next door neighbour’s best players after they have been reared and groomed in that environment....

... I feel it is unfair, seedy and predatory to have such a policy towards a neighbour. Just imagine if the boot was on the other foot."

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-21345593.html

Note the difference between "poaching" [sic] and accepting a bird which falls out of the sky into your lap...

Edited by Territorial - 24 Feb 2015 at 6:29pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Until NI stop playing gstq then the majority of Catholic's will not feel comfortable supporting and playing for them. That the stadium is based in a hostile part of Belfast will never help either.
I am no supporter of the playing of GSTQ, but consider this.
How "comfortable" would an NI Prod feel supporting or playing for the ROI when you play The Soldier's Song?

As for your "hostile" part of Belfast comment, that is derisory and can only come from a state of complete ignorance. Perhaps you got it from Roy Keane's (first) Autobiography, when he described Windsor Park as being "in East Belfast"?

Meanwhile, thousands of Catholic Man U and Liverpool fans don't find WP too "hostile" to stop them attending when their team comes over to play friendlies.

But hey, why let mere facts and reason get in the way of your argument...

Edited by Territorial - 24 Feb 2015 at 6:27pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 7:05pm

Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

I am no supporter of the playing of GSTQ, but consider this.
How "comfortable" would an NI Prod feel supporting or playing for the ROI when you play The Soldier's Song?

As for your "hostile" part of Belfast comment, that is derisory and can only come from a state of complete ignorance. Perhaps you got it from Roy Keane's (first) Autobiography, when he described Windsor Park as being "in East Belfast"?

Meanwhile, thousands of Catholic Man U and Liverpool fans don't find WP too "hostile" to stop them attending when their team comes over to play friendlies.

But hey, why let mere facts and reason get in the way of your argument...

I don't ever remember Alan Kernaghan complaining.

This article pretty much sums it up.

NI have been 'poaching' players from Ireland for a long time, the most recent one being Alex Bruce.

http://playereligibilityinireland.blogspot.ie/

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 7:33pm
Dylan Connolly on the bench for Ipswich tonight. Hope he gets a run
085immersive View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 085immersive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 7:48pm
Another good prospect at Spurs. Goes by the name Harry Kane. But he hasn't proved himself over a full season yet so let's not get our hopes up. From Galway direction my sources tell me

Edited by 085immersive - 24 Feb 2015 at 7:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 329>
  Share Topic