You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 329>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:23pm
Paddy Mcnair from Ballyclare fair enough.  I still think with Michael O'Neill the manager others might not be as willing as Gibson, Duffy, Wilson, Mcclean were. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Sponsored Links

dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:31pm
It's up to the player who they represent in all fairness no one puts a gun to there head.
keith3307 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith3307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 10:09pm
Thomas Mc Dermott a young goalkeeper from Derry at Spurs was recently called up to one of our youth squads.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 12:12am
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

This Croskery kid off Utd looks sh*t hot aswel . 2 goals the other day . He's from the North but is a Catholic. FAI need to get onto the kid http://youtu.be/dduFvwZzeKE

"He's a Catholic, so he should play for ROI"

Thank Christ our team is mixed, otherwise we'd be called bigoted...
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 2:15am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

This Croskery kid off Utd looks sh*t hot aswel . 2 goals the other day . He's from the North but is a Catholic. FAI need to get onto the kid http://youtu.be/dduFvwZzeKE

"He's a Catholic, so he should play for ROI"

Thank Christ our team is mixed, otherwise we'd be called bigoted...

I assume you are nothern irish       

now i can wrap this up i mean your scapegoat behaviour and the follow-up mannerisms against democracy .  

Long live Juan Domingo "the french" Peròn
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 10:34am
With the U/16 U/17 and the home based U/18 squad all playing games around this time. I think the FAI are doing all they can to find new talent. I know not everyone will agree but look at the expense of three international teams playing. The managers will work with the players and it's not going to happen over night. Also players are now been selected from all over the country not just from the DDSL.
alive and kicking
deise View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 12:32pm
From what I'm hearing some of these selections in Irish underage teams have the usual politics playing behind them, that came from people involved in the fai scene not always the best that get selected.

Edited by deise - 18 Feb 2015 at 12:34pm
bla bla bla
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 11:57am
There's a young lad on the Under 15's, Glen McAuley, who's over with Liverpool I think. Saw him a few of Under 15 games this season and looks very good technically and is a good finisher. The captain, an O'Connor chap from Waterford, looks to have potential too.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

No one is saying that being a Catholic means he'll definitely consider
himself Irish or vice versa for a Protestant, but that fact combined
with his first name being Ruairi at least means there's an above average
chance that he does.
That wasn't my point.

Rather it is that the implication was that if a player is Catholic, then the FAI should approach him.

Which implies that if a player is a Prod (or has a Prod name), then the FAI shouldn't.

How discriminatory is that? I daresay if you asked the FAI, they would bleat that they're "open to all", yet the record shows that they only ever approach Catholic players.

Worse still, it's no thanks to the FAI that many Catholic players stick with NI, but if that were not the case, it would ultimately lead to there being two international teams in Ireland, the Prod one (IFA) and the Taig one (FAI).

Then again, maybe you lot don't care about that...

Meanwhile, we're the ones who get called "bigots".   

P.S. People from NI are "Irish", too - even the Prods, shock horror - so you have no monopoly on that description.

Edited by Territorial - 19 Feb 2015 at 5:23pm
IrishLegend7 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishLegend7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 5:29pm
Back on topic, Caoimhin Kelleher from u17s is quality. Has Liverpool Arsenal Man City United Villa all offering him deals lovely lad to really down to Earth
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 6:04pm

chance that he does.
That wasn't my point.

Rather it is that the implication was that if a player is Catholic, then the FAI should approach him.

Which implies that if a player is a Prod (or has a Prod name), then the FAI shouldn't.

How discriminatory is that? I daresay if you asked the FAI, they would bleat that they're "open to all", yet the record shows that they only ever approach Catholic players.

Worse still, it's no thanks to the FAI that many Catholic players stick with NI, but if that were not the case, it would ultimately lead to there being two international teams in Ireland, the Prod one (IFA) and the Taig one (FAI).

P.S. People from NI are "Irish", too - even the Prods, shock horror - so you have no monopoly on that description.

Thats not the FAI's policy though.... They couldn't give a cr*p what a persons religious background is, if they're good enough and want to play for us then the FAI will be happy to have them. I don't care either for matter.... Come on now, are you really gonna try and paint the FAI out to be the bigots, that's quite preposterous, the IFA have improved a lot on that front in recent years, but they're still miles ahead in the "bigot league". The fact that they're constantly harping on about "Catholic" and "Protestant" players shows that, no one has the slightest clue about the religious background of Ireland's players on the other hand... And I never said you weren't Irish, you can be Irish if you so choose to be, but I'd wager a bet that you identify more closely as British or "Northern" Irish. Btw, if you're going to try and accuse someone else of being a bigot, you might want to omit terms such as "Taig" in future....
We're decent enough..
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 6:43pm
Catholic players usually identify as Irish that's the only reason I said that. I would love Prod players to play in fact an all Ireland team similar to the rugby one would be great imagine the likes of Steve Davis and Johnny Evans in the team we would have a much better side. Unfortunately I can't see it happening any time soon and I can't see any prod players playing for us as they have no desire I'd imagine . Can't blame Catholic players for wanting to play for us look what happened Neil Lennon.
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

There's a young lad on the Under 15's, Glen McAuley, who's over with Liverpool I think. Saw him a few of Under 15 games this season and looks very good technically and is a good finisher. The captain, an O'Connor chap from Waterford, looks to have potential too.

I heard he scored 70+ goals in one season for Kilnamanagh
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:53pm
Seen a few goals he scored for Ireland's u 15s . He looks 2 footed and his goals were top draw looks very good.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:24am
Looking forward to seeing how Jason Hunt gets on with the U18 home squad in Wales. An absolutely beautiful footballer with bags of potential. Have worked with him at U17/U18 level for nearly 3 years. He played 90 mins for us in the FAI Youth Cup Final in 2013, he was only 15 at the time, and he was well within his element then. Here's hoping
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 2:11pm
Harry Charlsley scored one for Everton U18 as they beat Liverpool 5-0 at Finch Farm. He's having a good season in that age group and has turned out for the U21 side also. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kufa2Km1DQ

Sam Allardyce has mentioned midfielder Josh Cullen (acaemy player of the year) as a player that could step-up to the first team this season. http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/west-ham/west_ham_boss_looks_for_youngsters_to_step_up_1_3727733

Cullen is in the Ireland U19 squad this week.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 3:54pm

chance that he does.
That wasn't my point.

Thats not the FAI's policy though.... They couldn't give a cr*p what a persons religious background is, if they're good enough and want to play for us then the FAI will be happy to have them. I don't care either for matter.... Come on now, are you really gonna try and paint the FAI out to be the bigots, that's quite preposterous, the IFA have improved a lot on that front in recent years, but they're still miles ahead in the "bigot league".
"That's not the FAI's policy though".

It is a fact that every single player who has been approached has been Catholic.

Seems a pretty clear policy to me.

The fact that [the IFA are] constantly harping on about "Catholic" and "Protestant" players shows that, no one has the slightest clue about the religious background of Ireland's players on the other hand...
Since when has anyone in the IFA ever been "constantly harping on" about "Catholic" and "Protestant" players?

Maybe you mean eg Michael O'Neill, or his big buddy Jim Magilton, or Gerry Armstrong, the man charged with identifying the barriers which may be deterring some young players form opting for NI?

Or half the team?

Btw, if you're going to try and accuse someone else of being a bigot, you might want to omit terms such as "Taig" in future....
Er, you don't do Irony, do you?

But maybe you're right, perhaps I should have used the terms "Hun" and "Taig", to reflect the implications which flow from the FAI's clearly discriminatory recruitment policy. That way, no-one would be left in any doubt...

And I never said you weren't Irish, you can be Irish if you so choose to be, but I'd wager a bet that you identify more closely as British or "Northern" Irish.
I am British - it says so on my Passport. I am also Irish, it's obvious the moment I open my mouth. I am equally proud of both.

But if you were to ask me how I most closely define myself, I would simply say I'm Northern Irish (no need for " "s round the Northern, btw)

As such, I object to the FAI's apparent belief that theirs is the "true" or "real" Ireland football team of that name, something which FIFA explicitly told them was not the case, indeed reserving that privilege for the IFA (when not playing in competition where they might encounter the FAI representative team).

Then again, why should we be surprised at the FAI wishing to steal that, too?
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 5:21pm
Jack Charlton's ground-breaking exploits were supposed to serve as the catalyst for a home-grown breed to follow in the footsteps of a side that was heavily influenced by shrewd use of eligibility rules.

This narrative accompanied Brian Kerr's historic European U-16 and U-18 Championship wins in 1998, teams dominated by lads who were in primary school during the glory days.

Subsequently, the emergence of senior internationals from Waterford, Wexford, Tipperary and Donegal was cited as evidence of a regional spread arising from the major tournament buzz. We had Duff, Dunne and Robbie Keane too.

The tantalising hope was that the generation born after Italia '90 would come along and carry the torch with distinction. We could be waiting for a while.

As the first crop of '90s kids move steadily towards the prime of their career, just three established members of Martin O'Neill's squad are from that category. James McCarthy, who came into the world in November 1990, is the only guaranteed starter. Robbie Brady and Jeff Hendrick, both of whom turned 23 last month, are steadily making their presence felt.

Who else is there? Cyrus Christie (1992) made a good impression on his debut in November and looks like becoming a fixture around the group while Shane Duffy (1992) is on the fringes. Brian Lenihan (1994) and Ian Lawlor (1994) were called into the seniors to have a look but they've a long way to go.

Damning

This is a worryingly small group, and what's particularly damning is that McCarthy, Christie and Duffy grew up in a different jurisdiction.

Brady and Hendrick are flying the flag for the home-grown brigade and they are a good distance ahead of their peers with O'Neill short of options from a sluggish production line. He inherited this problem.

Unfortunately, there's no evidence of a flood of emerging talent waiting to bring the average age down. If Jack Grealish (of 1995 fame) committed he'd be in with a chance - let's not go there today - and Watford's Tommie Hoban (1994) is a contender. Again, it's telling that this duo were raised across the water.

QPR's recent purchase from Galway, Ryan Manning (1996), has a fan base that rates him highly yet it seems unfair to heap expectation on the handful tipped for the leap simply because the absence of alternatives sharpens the focus. Former great white hope Conor Clifford, now on loan at Conference dwellers Barnet from League Two Southend, might relate to that sentiment.

This is why the encouraging soundings about a collection of starlets born in 1998 have to be treated cautiously. There needs to be more than one or two making headlines; strength in numbers is what constitutes a well-prepared generation.

World champions Germany had 11 '90s babies in their squad for the November friendly with Spain although their extraordinary resources mean Irish eyes must look elsewhere for a fair comparison.

Up the road, there's Northern Ireland who have defied all expectations by flying out of the blocks in their Euros race with a youthful dressing room; ten of Michael O'Neill's original selection for their last outing in Romania were born in the Britpop era.

Granted, a dearth of options has led to the ex-Shamrock Rovers manager looking at inexperienced performers that wouldn't get anywhere near the other O'Neill's panel but the simple fact is they are gaining knowledge that will stand to this group. South of the border, the emergence of a Paddy McNair type at a leading Premier League force would be very welcome.

Poland, who come to Dublin next month as group leaders, named ten products of the '90s in their party for the November trip to Georgia.

Iceland, a modest football nation with a league of similar standard to ours, have capped 19 youngsters from that age bracket in the last 12 months. They're second in their qualifying group and almost made the World Cup.

The list goes on. Everywhere you look, national teams are benefiting from an injection of fresh blood. Ireland, on the other hand, are becoming a very old side reliant on the late bloomers that are a feature of the current environment.

Seamus Coleman is a typical example, winning his first cap at U-21 level after growing up on the bruising League of Ireland stage.

It is seven years since the FAI went Dutch and appointed Wim Koevermans to oversee technical direction.

He was replaced by Ruud Dokter in 2013 and the latter's upcoming Technical Development Plan will outline his vision although he's learned about the idiosyncrasies of the football family in his attempts to complete the blueprint.

Dokter said after his arrival that it may take 10 or 15 years for some of his ideas to bear fruit, an observation which didn't exactly paint the previous decade in a flattering light. History will be unkind to the manner in which the Irish game reacted to its first taste of international success.

Competition from other sports doesn't cut it as an acceptable excuse when strong participation levels - which do hint at good grass-roots work - are considered.

Elite development is key and the transition to the 21st century has been painfully slow. If we're relying on the millennium cubs to raise the bar then a challenging period lies over the horizon.

Not a good sign at all and as I have pointed out on one of the threads already over half of our u19/21 squads are made up of english born players with the best players from u19/21 usually english born as well. 

IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 329>
  Share Topic