FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underage squads: Best Prospects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 329>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The fact neither himself or Cannon have switched to England yet certainly is a hopeful sign, but I just don't get a great feeling with Fraser. I'd be nearly certain Cannon will decide on Ireland, he's had about 10 months to cut ties now but he still hasn't.

Not gonna debate Fraser anymore haha, we won't know for a while. Cannon is a odd one at this point. I think England U21s only 9 is Stansfield (not even sure he is and out and out striker) from the looks of it and not sure he is better than Cannon, the rest are more AMs/Wide forwards. So if he was on their radar he probably should be in the squad ... unless Carsley is doing us a favour. LOL
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Are there any other youth groups playing games u19s etc?

England U19s just announced their squad. He wasn't in it.

Oops sorry, I meant for us. I was wondering if we had anything scheduled for younger age groups. Though I know u17s and below are often outside of traditional international windows.

U17s have competitive games which start next Wednesday against Portugal. Then Germany and Croatia.

Nothing announced for the U19s but sometimes when it comes to friendlies at that age group you only find out about them when a squad is announced. Think if we hear nothing by Monday for the U19s then there'll be no friendlies.
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Godzilla Godzilla wrote:

Oops sorry, I meant for us. I was wondering if we had anything scheduled for younger age groups. Though I know u17s and below are often outside of traditional international windows.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 1:43pm
The fact neither himself or Cannon have switched to England yet certainly is a hopeful sign, but I just don't get a great feeling with Fraser. I'd be nearly certain Cannon will decide on Ireland, he's had about 10 months to cut ties now but he still hasn't.
We're decent enough..
Godzilla View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 1:36pm

SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 1:18pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by razzmatazaz razzmatazaz wrote:

@ SC92 Can you name one example of an Irish born player using an "I don't want to get injured" excuse to turn down a call up to a competitive game for his country? And Roy Keane doesn't count.

Michael Obafemi and Aaron Connolly this time two years ago. While technically friendlies they hold more significants than the U21s game Fraser has opted out of.

Also it happens with pretty much every nation players will at times prioritise their club career as that is where they have a career. So Fraser won't be the first or last to do this. Again I don't know his personal motivations but we can't make a definitive judgement either way at this point.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 11:57am
Originally posted by razzmatazaz razzmatazaz wrote:

@ SC92 Can you name one example of an Irish born player using an "I don't want to get injured" excuse to turn down a call up to a competitive game for his country? And Roy Keane doesn't count.

Michael Obafemi and Aaron Connolly this time two years ago. While technically friendlies they hold more significants than the U21s game Fraser has opted out of.

Edited by J89 - 15 Mar 2024 at 11:58am
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 11:50am
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 11:45am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I think if he'd been involved regularly previously I'd give him more leeway, in this case though it sounds like a guy just giving a soft no, but a no nonetheless.

It didn't sound like he had declined call ups previously he just stopped getting picked after his first few caps it seems to me even though he continued to improve at club level and stopped getting u19 call ups. Unpopular opinion maybe but it's a two way street you can make it sound like he's not committed or look at the fact Ireland are only interested when he's got some headlines for making a PL club breakthrough. Similar to Tom Cannon really we only got interested after some lower age group call ups when he got his first loan goals.  It just sometimes feels like we are pretty bad at knowing which players to keep involved. 

Again I'm not all that sure on his ceiling (its hard with 18/19 year olds) and he isn't a must pick at this point as I really like Armstrong and i'm not saying he wouldn't jump to England if he had the opportunity. But his club circumstances are such right now that if he's not available he misses a big opportunity so I don't see this refusal as being about Ireland as much as his club future. Maybe I'll be wrong but I can see an Irish born striker taking the same decision.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 6:14pm
I think if he'd been involved regularly previously I'd give him more leeway, in this case though it sounds like a guy just giving a soft no, but a no nonetheless.
We're decent enough..
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 5:51pm
Given the Wolves injury situation it's a pretty reasonable excuse. Being first team ready over the next few months could really affect the trajectory of his career. Even the Irish born lads would do the same in that situation I'm sure so we can cut him some slack tbh

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 5:43pm
Where have we heard this one before... 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 5:35pm
It's the right call. Let him get his feet under the table at Wolves and call him up in June. Given his lack of games in an Ireland shirt he likely would have gotten a few minutes off the bench at best anyway. If June rolls around and there's an another excuse then it's bye bye and move on.

Edited by J89 - 14 Mar 2024 at 5:49pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 5:25pm
The main takeaway from me on Fraser at this particular moment in time is the following:

"With the U21s, it would have been a different challenge. That’s what he says, I respect it. He did say he wanted to be considered for future international camps. In June we will have a couple of friendly games, so if all things go well he might be included in that. That’s all I can say on Nathan. Of course we would love to have him, but it is an opportunity for someone else to show what they can do at this level."
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 4:01pm

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Fraser declined a call up as he "was afraid to get injured".

Where is that from? 

That's a reasonable expectation as a Wolves player particularly one who is benefitting from said injury crisis. So maybe he hasn't decided against us yet we'll have to see...
Yeah I can't really blame him.

SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Fraser declined a call up as he "was afraid to get injured".

Where is that from? 

That's a reasonable expectation as a Wolves player particularly one who is benefitting from said injury crisis. So maybe he hasn't decided against us yet we'll have to see... Either way we have some good options so all is okay.

Edited by SC92 - 14 Mar 2024 at 4:01pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:59pm
Leave that one off so. He's been involved little with us anyway so no great loss.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 329>
  Share Topic