Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Grealish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 276>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 8:59am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I'd rather see him join City than Adama Traore.
Unbelievable footballer, and still think he's better than Maddison (a little debate that was on the ROI section a few weeks ago)
He'll go to the Euros

Come on you are exaggerating.

He's pretty good but he won't stand out as much when he signs for a decent team, don't think he's good enough for a top team like Man City.

That's blinkered thinking because he turned his back on Ireland I think
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me to see him go to City in the summer for massive money.
I think that would be a terrible move for him

City wouldn't suit him at all, he's far too much of a free spirit and the cold, sterile, clinical, soulless nature of everything to do with Manchester City would be a terrible fit for him, they'd bench him and he'd be another Fabian Delph there
I agree, although I would have used Jack Rodwell as the free-spirit-going-to-City-that-never-got-a-chance

Rodwell got plenty of chances. I think the term is he was never good enough, as the remainder of his career has proven.

Delph won two titles there and a few domestic cups. I'm sure he doesn't regret that move.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:37am
Has turned into a cracking player alright, still think he could/should have been capped by us round the end of the 2014 qualifiers or even brought up to MON's first squad.

Would probably have around circa 50 caps by now too.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 9:42am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Has turned into a cracking player alright, still think he could/should have been capped by us round the end of the 2014 qualifiers or even brought up to MON's first squad.

It’s an awful shame there was a lot of talk around that time.
I wonder how close he came to be being named in our international squad.

He would be a cult hero for us at this stage he would have been so far ahead of any attacking options we had available to us for the last 2 campaigns fans would have loved him.

The biggest missed chance we had on player ever?
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

He would be a cult hero for us at this stage he would have been so far ahead of any attacking options we had available to us for the last 2 campaigns fans would have loved him.

I think it was around the end of Trap's time which he came out and issued a cap me plea but that was ignored by Noel Kind in favour of playing Kevin Doyle on the wing.

Not 100% sure what MON said to him, but from potential stories form other potential granny rule players I doubt he made firm desires for him to join the squad.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:34am

I’d argue that Rice is a bigger missed chance in that we had a ready made CDM playing for us and we lost him. We never had Grealish at senior level. Although both would make a serious difference if they were available to us now.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:27am
Grealish is a much better player than Rice

Rice is a bit of a donkey

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Grealish is a much better player than Rice

Rice is a bit of a donkey

Well, they’re different players. Also, there is almost a four year age gap, and Rice has achieved considerably more at his age than Grealish had. Honestly, this has been the season Grealish has come of age.

Edited by Het-field - 29 Jan 2020 at 11:37am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:44am
He’s definitely improved his game - more mature and better output.
7 goals and 5 assists shows he’s having his best season.
He should male the next England squad on current form.

Spurs should have got him last season. After this season his price will only go up.

Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:59am
unbelievable showing by him last night, gutted he didn't cap for us. Booked my flights for Wembley last night, €33 return Sat-Mon. Think he would be sensational in that Liverpool side I have to say,
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I'd rather see him join City than Adama Traore.
Unbelievable footballer, and still think he's better than Maddison (a little debate that was on the ROI section a few weeks ago)
He'll go to the Euros

Come on you are exaggerating.

He's pretty good but he won't stand out as much when he signs for a decent team, don't think he's good enough for a top team like Man City.

That's blinkered thinking because he turned his back on Ireland I think

No it's really not, he has had a good first half of Premier League football and now people are classing him as an unbelievable footballer, that is blinkered.

He would be at a similar level to Zaha.
daraghj82 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daraghj82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:18pm

just a quick look at his wiki page, this guy should be have been capped by us , it was a terrible missed opportunity by FAI/MON at the time not to have him capped, its even more galling when you look at the amount of irish relatives/links in his family and that he played gaelic games a lot as a kid !
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 2:49pm
I saw him at the beginning of the season in a dreadful Villa team at Spurs. He definitely caught the eye as being a cut above (most of) his teammates, and had a swagger about him that looked tailor-made for the big stage, eg England, or Man City or L'pool etc.

Then he made a terrible error late on, from simple messing about, which cost them a goal and ultimately any chance of a point, after being a goal up until the 73rd minute. And I've seen him take similar risks for Villa since.

Seeing as he's clearly Villa's best player, captain and local crowd favourite, it's probably hard for Smith to crack down on it. But I'd say he needs to cut that right out of his game before Klopp or Pep lash out £75m(?) for him, or Southgate builds his midfield round him.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by daraghj82 daraghj82 wrote:

just a quick look at his wiki page, this guy should be have been capped by us , it was a terrible missed opportunity by FAI/MON at the time not to have him capped, its even more galling when you look at the amount of irish relatives/links in his family and that he played gaelic games a lot as a kid !

He could have declined to play.
He could have played and then retired like Stephen Ireland, and possibly James McCarthy and Harry Arter.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 3:37pm
I do think if we'd had a ROI born manager at the time of Grealish and Rice they would have been more invested in tying them down for the future than the casual approach that was taken.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 29 Jan 2020 at 3:38pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 3:51pm
But didn’t Grealish get offered a call up in 2014 and it wasn’t declined. Also, had we managed to beat Denmark in 2017, we would have gone to the World Cup, Rice would undoubtedly have been on the plane, and locked down in the first game.

I’m not sure that there is much blame to go around for the ultimate decisions.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

I do think if we'd had a ROI born manager at the time of Grealish and Rice they would have been more invested in tying them down for the future than the casual approach that was taken.

Don't think it was anything to do with where O'Neill was born, was just down to the type of individual he is.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I’d argue that Rice is a bigger missed chance in that we had a ready made CDM playing for us and we lost him. We never had Grealish at senior level. Although both would make a serious difference if they were available to us now.
I’d respectfully disagree with you I think Jack is a bigger loss than Rice.
While Your correct in that Rice played senior Grealish was as as Irish as you could get of a lad born in England.
He played plenty of GAA as young lad played for us all the way up was named underage international player of the year he did everything but represent us at senior level.

Don’t get me wrong Rice is a fine player but we are doing a relatively good job of keeping goals out.
It is in attack we are crying out for quality he would have scored and created goals.
And he wins loads of free kicks and we are strong from set pieces.

Territorial mentions he cost Villa points against Spurs in the opening game of the season by giving the ball away deep in his own half, he did and did it again a few more times but he has since learned and it hasn’t happened again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 276>
  Share Topic