You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make it Irish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 11:08am
Smithwicks Clap
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 7:05am
Had some Wicklow Brewery Black Stout 16 last night.

Excellent stout.

Clap
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 5:20am
Had a drop of that Jameson's orange liqueur in a pub in Sunderland last night very nice indeed.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 2:34pm
Had a pint of this Co Meath breweries brown ale very nice indeed.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:33pm
Anybody off here had this before?

My local pub have got it in I may have a dabble later in the week.

Is it a whiskey? Is it a beer? Black Irish is a blend of both and therefore cannot be called either. Irish distillers have had success with caskmates, a whiskey finished in stout barrels, and several craft brewers have aged their beers in whiskey casks, but Black Irish has taken this a step further by combining triple-distilled Irish malt whiskey with stout.

Whiskey is usually “cut” or watered down to about 40 per cent abv before bottling (unless it is labelled cask strength). Black Irish is “cut” with a strong stout and a barrel-aged stout. To add further flavour, it is infused with chocolate, malt, roasted barley and spices. 

The man behind Black Irish is David Phelan of Dublin-based Darker Still Spirits Company. He has previously worked with Boru Vodka, Irish Mist and Baileys. “I have a history in innovation and brand development of drinks, which I love,’’ he tells me.

“I got involved with a couple of guys from Drinksology in Belfast, who are great with brand development, plus Adrian Walker, formerly of Coole Swan, who is a genius with liquids. I had this image of a guy in a snug with a beer and a chaser and wanted to combine those two drinks.” 

Beautiful flavours
The liquid is 80 per cent Irish whiskey, with a deep No.4 char, from Great Northern Distillery, and the stout is from O’Hara’s.

“We are bringing together really good Irish whiskey and really good Irish stout with extra flavours to accentuate both. Black Irish is a spirit drink stretching Irish whiskey the way spiced rum moved rum forward. I think whiskey needs a bit of innovation and this is a completely different interpretation.” The bottle and label design is unique too, with both crown and flip cap and references to classic stout.

“I see it as a very approachable accessible drink with some beautiful flavours that makes it easy to drink solo. It can be drunk straight as a chaser but for those who like a long drink it is fantastic with coke (which Irish whiskey isn’t) and makes a great Irish coffee.” 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 2:00pm
One for the porridge eaters. 

Waterford company Flahavan's Porridge available at Asda Sainsbury's and Tesco. 

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

One for the porridge eaters. 

Waterford company Flahavan's Porridge available at Asda Sainsbury's and Tesco. 

I used to know some of those gals..
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 7:19am

I got some Emerald Irish caramels (made in Dublin by Oatfield) for Christmas they were very nice.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 8:48am

I had some Muff Irish Potato Gin made in Donegal in a new bar on Sunderland seafront last night it was quality.

jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 11:23am

I had some Muff Irish Potato Gin made in Donegal in a new bar on Sunderland seafront last night it was quality.

Not a big gin drinker myself but had some a while back, it is very nice. Great reviews of it too.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 11:33am
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Not a big gin drinker myself but had some a while back, it is very nice. Great reviews of it too.

I don't usually drink gin but thought I'd try it because it's Irish I was pleasantly surprised.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 1:57pm
Cant bate a bit of Irish muff after some gin and a few spuds 👏
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 3:03pm

Had a pint of the Black Pig Nitro Irish stout by the White Hog Irish Brewing company Ballymote last night and it was class.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 1:25pm
Enjoyed a can of Apex oatmeal stout from the Wicklow Wolf brewery at the weekend.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 12:05pm

I drank a can of The White Hag, Ballymote brewery Black Boar last night a lovely stout.

Cool
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 12:07pm
Have you ever bought, sampled, tasted, touched or looked at anything Irish and thought, nope, thats not for me or even went as mad as to say f**k me, I dont like that?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Have you ever bought, sampled, tasted, touched or looked at anything Irish and thought, nope, thats not for me or even went as mad as to say f**k me, I dont like that?

Not a big fan of Irish lager other than hop house,
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 12:36pm
Had some of the Carlow The Busker Triple Cask Triple smooth whiskey most pleasant it was too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
  Share Topic